Author Topic: Any ideas? Adivce  (Read 2359 times)

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
Re: Any ideas? Adivce
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 18:14:50 PM »
Thats ok Rosella! You don't need to apologise! If he wasn't due to have the op, then I wouldn't wait that long either!

I have no ideas which hours, days, or even the location of where i will be working as it's a student work placement, And  wont find out until the week before I start, so fingers crossed it close to home, and shift work would be perfect! Idont get any choice over it though, just gotta wait and see where they put me!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 17:49:09 PM »
Awww bless him. Sorry didn't think. Really very sorry. Of course he needs time to recover after his op before he gets a pal. Realy good vibes coming your way for Bailey and you.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 16:48:01 PM »

Obviously that is your choice but I know people with small gardens who have it. It does not look too bad and they have the knowledge that their cat is still enjoying an outside life that it is used to but is also very safe.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 16:48:23 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 16:40:19 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for everone's ideas. The cat proofing is a really good idea. One question though for anyone who has it...do other cats not jump in and then get stuck? Im sure Bailey's friend would!
I ve decided against it...simply because my garden is really quite small so i dont think it would look too good. Although it would be great in a bigger garden.

Giving a bit more thought to geting him a friend for company. I wouldn't be able to do this immediatly though, because he has his tail amputation at the end of the month, then I want to give him time to recover from that, before I would put him through more stress of having another cat on his territory. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 20:20:07 PM »
Hi Suzy

I've had cats all my life (not young) and none of them have ever been indoor only however I would have no hesitation in keeping your little man inside. You must have been through hell. 

I am a great believer in cats having company though and if you are prepared for another few months of hell settling the newbie in, it's all worthwhile. It may even be plain sailing of course but that hasn't been my recent experience so you have to be prepared for trouble initially.

If poss another little fella of about the same age or at least same energy levels who is used to indoor only? I'm not sure I'd wait till the summer tho? That's quite a few months for him to be on his lonesome when you go back to work in March.  I'm daft as a brush of course so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 18:32:19 PM »
If you have a look at this thread (fro the Xmas acution) you can see pics of Roz's system  http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=366.20
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 18:19:47 PM »
Hi Suzi

I used another system from USA for my fencing but the price of it has gone up alot now. Quite a few of us on here have Roz's great system. It is great to let your babes out when they want to but know they are safe. If ya have any questions on it, i know Roz will def help as she is sooooo nice  :) and i will be glad to give ya as much help as i can.
Here's a pic of my system.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 18:54:38 PM by Tan »

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 17:12:43 PM »
I've not seen any photos of cat proofed gardens. My garden isn't that big so by the sounds of it it wouldn't look to good in my garden! If anyone has any pics it would be good to see how it looks. I can imagime it would be fine in a bigger garden than mine!

Thanks for ur support in keeping him in! Ive had mixed reactions from familiy and friends. Most understand why i am doing it, but some people think I'm going against whats natural for him. I have read posts before, and i know there are tons of different views on it, and I respect that. Definatly comes down to personal choice, but I've had too many close calls now!

He's not that bad about wanting out. As I siad he has accepted it really quite well. I just felt guilty today coz it was nice and sunny and his friend was looking in!

Im also thinking ahead, as im a student at the moment so Im at home quite often, but will be starting full time work in March. He loves getting attention, and I think he might get lonely being in the house all day long, so might be best to get him a friend, and just have them both indoors. I'm off for three months in the summer, so if i was gonna introduce another cat I would do it then.

saffron

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 17:06:03 PM »
if you cant cat proof your garden get some moggy screens for your windows & doors, conntact  ken@colourline.co.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 16:41:04 PM »
You can contact Roz on securacat@aol.com

Have you seen any pics of cat proofed gardens? Wire goes up and then out at an angle so that the cat cant jump over it. Its hard to explain but it works.

I dont blame you for keeping your munchkin in afterall his accidents!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 16:07:15 PM »
I would send mail to Roz  (see member list) I think she sells cat proofing for gardens, it does work very well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 16:08:18 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline suzi

• Adult Cat
Any ideas? Adivce
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 16:01:29 PM »
I have recently decided to keep my cat indoors, after a number of incidents happening when he is outside.

....locked in neighbours cars overnight, going into people's houses who don' like cats, jumping into a delivery van when the driver wasn't looking and nearly getting taken away, wandering too far, gone missing for a week, and finnaly being hit by a car! (all within the space of 6 months)

So i have decided, that at the age of 1years he has definatly used up his nine lives. Since his car accident in December, he has had to be kept indoors while he has recovered, and is sill due to get operation to remove his tail at the end of this month. He has accepted his indoor-ness failrly well, but is really socialble and when his friend sits at our window, he tries to get out beside him! And I feel terrible!

I'm thinking ahead, and know that some people on here cat proof their garden, and im considering this as an option. But to be honest, I dont think i would work, he can jump really high and is so curious he gets everywhere.

Other alternatives are using a cat harness, but he hates collers and would struggle with one.

The only other thing we are thinking about, it getting him a wee friend (another indoor cat) to keep him company. He's our little baby though, and we're not sure how it would affect him introducing another cat. We would never rush into doing this, and want to make sure we make the best choice for him. A friend has suggest another young cat/ kitten as they are easier to introduce.

Any ideas/ suggestions on any of this?

(I know some people might not agree with me keeping him in now, but after everything we have gone through I now it's the safest thing to do.  He was very very lucky to survive the car accident and I couldn't bear anything like that happening again. )

Link to CatChat