Author Topic: advise needed  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: advise needed
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 18:16:17 PM »
Know that feeling! I have tried so hard with Layla because I know it would help her so much with her bladder issues if she ate wet food but she would rather starve! I am not going to give up though, in fact my vet and I chatted about it today and I have brought back something new for her to try.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
don't feel bad if you can't get them to eat wet though, some cats just can't be budged!

Offline sweet_rose

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
super advise thank you
its all very confusing!! when i go in the pet shop they suggest what they think is right but then i have a friend (who worked at a vet's) telling me the opposite! so i knew if i asked you ladies you would know.
i shall get some updated pictures posted soon as ozzy has grown so much lol

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
People have differing views... While a lot of manufacturers or dry food suggest that that's all they need there is a lot of research to suggest that cats benefit greatly from a diet that is reflective of what they would eat in the wild so suggest a wet diet. Cats who only eat dry become addicted to it as it's covered in a nice tasty (but unhealthy) coating which they love. They are also more prone to urinary tract problems as they don't get enough moisture as cats don't tend to drink all that much. They would get lots of moisture from wet food. dry food is also full of cereals which are not exactly helping cats to live the carnivore lifestyle they are made for. So is some wet food so trry to get one with a high meat content.
Personally, I feed a predominatly wet food diet with a few dry biccies in between to graze on as a treat. I have one cat though who has a dry prescription diet because she has urinary tract problems from being fed just a high phospherous, dry diet when she was a kitten before I had her, as consequence she can get very poorly if she every eats any other food elsewhere and is also addicted to dry food and won't touch wet (dispite my efforts!).
Cats who feed only on dry can also get weight problems if owners are not careful to measure out how much food they should actually be having- the daily amount of dry food advisable is deceptively small where as a lot of owners just fill the bowl up an the cat ends up with four times as much food as they should!
Maybe you could try feeding a mixture of wet and dry? Cats enjoy a variety anyway.

Offline sweet_rose

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
ah i see, did'nt want a debate lol
is the james welbelove the best ?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »
this will create some debate because everyone has an opinion  but to keep things simple I'll just say I have one that will only eat dry food and she is healthy but a little overweight which can be a problem with dry food you need to be strict about portion size

Offline sweet_rose

• Adult Cat
advise needed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
hi, think i might of posted in the wrong bit  :doh:
however just a quick question, is it ok to feed my kitty's on just dry food ??
the love the james welbelove dry food but was'nt sure if they needed wet food also  ;D thanks in advance

Link to CatChat