Author Topic: Arthritis ???  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Arthritis ???
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 13:00:53 PM »
Probably got something to do with the fact that I am also trying to manage her weight so she'll just eat everything that's in the bowl, regardless of what it is!  :evillaugh:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Misty's no Problem taking Pill's in fact He'll Purr while He's crunching down on His Fortekor  :-:

Hamish on the other hand was a complete Nightmare, Claws would come out straight away to get hands and fingers away from his mouth
and just like the title of the film I saw last year  (There Will Be Blood ) every single time :doh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 23:44:43 PM »
Hi Stuart
I have no experience of the other 2 but Silvie has Seraquin which is supposedly very palatable.  Good job, as she takes two each day and they're HUGE!  However, she will eat most if not all of them when I quarter them and mix them with her dinner.  I am grateful for this as I live alone and administering tablets by any other method is nigh on impossible!
Probably got something to do with the fact that I am also trying to manage her weight so she'll just eat everything that's in the bowl, regardless of what it is!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 20:40:45 PM »

does anyone know the difference between cosequin, seraquin and corteflex ? esp for cats with CRF, heart or liver issues as well as arthritis ie the safest and the one that works best?

Not that I understand it fully but cosequin says it has the extacted smaller active molecules that are better absorbed by smaller animals - or something along those lines. They say it is more effective. It also has a cocktail  of other natural things in it  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 19:29:53 PM »
Molly doesn't really limp, her arthritis is suspected cos of the fact she looks slightly bedraggled and doesn't keep her claws tidy. Zi showed no signs at all, but is perkier on Seraquin
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 18:29:46 PM »
I'll let you know Millys mum  ;)
just finished have a disagreement with OH. Had a look at Misty's elbows and they dont seem crooked to me??
but then again it's hard to tell under all that fur  :evillaugh: had to have a feely guess  :-:
OH says He is not in pain, it's just old age, but I say if there was no pain, why is He limping ??
same as with Max, I notice it mainly after He's had a snooze

I'll keep you all updated  ;)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 14:30:29 PM »
my vet gave Max cosequin capsules, as that's the glucosamine he prefers using. As Max weighs more than 5kgs (just- lol) he gets a whole one a day. However the package says under 5kgs is 1/2 one a day which is a nightmare if they won't eat it in their food. Kitchen looks like a coke den with white powder flying everywhere while I try to get approx 1/2 capsule into another capsule  :Crazy:

does anyone know the difference between cosequin, seraquin and corteflex ? esp for cats with CRF, heart or liver issues as well as arthritis ie the safest and the one that works best?

Stuart you can have a look at Misty's legs as with arthritis they become a lot more crooked esp in the 'elbow' joint. Max limps a lot when he first gets up from a long zzz.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 13:20:34 PM »
Could you post how palatable it is, smell etc? Thanks  ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 21:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Desley, I'll try Misty with the Cortaflex first
and see how He gets on  ;)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 18:59:26 PM »
I personally use Seraquin - Rosie loved it (although bizarrely enough couldn't eat smaller treats!!), so I bought some for Mol, who has arthritis and she wont eat them, so I have to crumble some in her food - despite being fussy, she will accept it, Zi loves them and has been more active since being on them, despite not acting arthritic.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
Yes there are a few.

Teresa, Desley, Ela & Angie all have links on their sites so take your pick! - there may be others?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:40:50 AM »
Thanks Mark, I will see about getting the Cortaflex  :)

Better still I already have an account with them  ;D I'd forgot about that  :doh:

Hey Mark, I seem to remember a link on Purr's that donates monies to charity through vetuk is this right ??

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:52:10 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »
The vet can do an x-ray to confirm. You can give supplements of Glucosamine to help rebuild the cartilage - If the cat is is pain, they often give Metacam which isn't a good idea for cats with CRF as Metacam isn't great for the kidneys.

There are various tablets and liquids - some with other supplements in. This is the one I am thinking of getting for Alice although she is fine at the moment 
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_241&products_id=382

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Arthritis ???
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
I have noticed this while back (2 months) that I can hear creak's and click's when Misty is walking (though not all the time)
and this week, I am sure He is limping a little on His left foreleg (or i could be imagining it)
His diet for over a year has only been Senior food's and He's on Fortekor for his Kidney's, but I was just wondering, could this be
Arthritis  :scared: ???

if it is, are there any remedys you ppl could recommend ??

Cheer's Stuart...........

Link to CatChat