Author Topic: Alice may have a problem with her leg.  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Alice may have a problem with her leg.
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2008, 18:18:35 PM »
She really is! She makes you just want to cuddle her! :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2008, 18:11:17 PM »
I think a lot of it is because we know some of what she went through  :( + she's gorgeous  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2008, 16:52:53 PM »
Gone to mush. What is it about Alice that just makes me go all googley  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2008, 16:32:44 PM »
Last ones  :Luv:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 16:33:39 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2008, 16:30:27 PM »
She is in the garden now - and hissing at poor Kylie who is just relaxing on her chair - Kylie is humouring her though  :Luv2:

That Alice's day  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 16:31:45 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2008, 15:46:49 PM »
Awww she's such a cutie  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2008, 15:44:30 PM »
She still hasn't budged. You would be surprised. She is gentle like Clapton and I am allowed to kiss her paws  :shy:

The only time she scratched me was very lightly to let me know I had hurt her bad back  :( (Which seems a lot better without meds  :) )
I think now she is relaxed, she is happy to sleep most of the time like Clapton - who has now migrated to an old guest bedroom  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 15:46:34 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 13:36:09 PM »
 :Luv2: thank you. I just love those little paws of hers. I know she'd have my face if I tried to nibble em but still  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2008, 13:29:53 PM »
She's fine after her scare this morning - I got up suddenly and she ran, skidding on the wood floor. She went in the garden to get away from me  :evillaugh: She is back in her bed now - I took a couple of new pics for you  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 13:33:39 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 13:18:26 PM »
Have nothing of value to add right now, just need to check the thread for an Alice fix  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2008, 13:13:36 PM »
I think I will try some cortaflex. She is eating the food with the powder now but not all of it. I would rather something she can eat in a small amount of food. She isn't one for treats.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 08:43:01 AM »
Mark, my Dragan had the arthriaid.  It came in a pump type container and you pumped one does onto his food.  He wouldn't go near it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 18:12:32 PM »
Id like to know how cortaflex tastes, if it was flavoured i'd opt for that for lola but she wont have icky fluid syringed in her mouth every day  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
Would be great if you could let me know as I wasn't given much info other than to buy human grade. The other liquid VetUK sell is called arthriaid and says "contains MSM for immediate relief" - I wish I knew what it was. It has a dosing tube similar to Metacam  :scared: - I'm not sure how you dose Cortaflex as the dose for Alice would be 1.25ml which is a tiny amount.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
 :thanks: Mark - I'll talk it through with our vet when Blip has her follow-up next week  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:37 AM »
There are a few on there but Cortaflex seems to be a better one as it has the smaller Isolates in - I read about this a while ago http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_241&products_id=382

Although it's more expensive, you only need 1ml per 4kg bodyweight so actually cheaper  :) - I think it works out a small bottle would last 6+ months  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:42:13 AM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
VetUK have some liquid glucosamine for cats and dogs,

What is it called, Desley (or anyone)?  I had a look on the site but couldn't see it (I'm having a bit of a dense week in general, actually  :-:).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 20:13:15 PM »
I just mixed a sachet of Noractive in her food and she is eating it  :). I think I tried it a bit too soon in the winter when she was still poorly. Fingers crossed she will start eating it now. The snag with things you add to food is they need to clear the dish for it to be fully effective.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:15 AM »
She just won't touch seraquin or the powdered form. Also they are too big to hide in food. Alice does have quite a few teeth missing which doesn't help. I will get some liquid for her. I agree with a comment in the link I posted that taking glucosamine is better than any NSAID.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:16:18 AM by Mark »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2008, 21:00:28 PM »
VetUK have some liquid glucosamine for cats and dogs, I have just bought some Seraquin for Molly, Rosie loved it, so hopefully Molly will, although Molly is extra fussy with treats, will only eat Whiskas treats, and I can't put much in her food or she wont eat it. They do smell meaty though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 13:40:05 PM »
That's what I read before but the site I linked to says "science hasn't made it's mind up" - maybe it's an old article?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 13:24:29 PM »
HCl = hydrochloride

KCl = sulphate, was never 100% in chemistry tho so may not be KCl lol  :innocent:

I read that HCl was better as it was absorbed easier, hence the price difference in shops...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 13:19:48 PM »
Make sure the human stuff is HCl not sulphate (KCl?  :-: )

HCI = Human ......    ........ ?
KCI = Kitty     .....     ....... ?

:Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 13:18:22 PM »
This site is for humans but recommends taking both at the same time to get "the best hit"
http://www.medschoolchat.com/displayarticle324.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
Make sure the human stuff is HCl not sulphate (KCl?  :-: )

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
 :)

How could I have allowed her to leave?  :Luv2:

Dennis is getting soft and didn't complain about me feeding her on the sofa bench when her back was sore  :) - although admittedly, I should have put something down  :shy:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 13:15:35 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
I think the dog bed may be helping as upstairs, she was cramming herself into a donut bed.

she is just lush...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
What is the dosage? - my vet recommended using human glucosamine but said reduce the dose according (but didn't tell me the dose)

I will pick some up as the Seraquin are like horse tablets and she woudn't eat the food with the powder on. I know Orijen has some in but probably not enough to be beneficial as she only eats a small amount a day.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »
We use liquid glucosamine on Fredcats fish (I know , hes very very spoilt)! we get the capsules from Holland and Barrett and squeeze one on a day.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »
I want to try her with the powdered glucosamine again - I would rather that than Metacam - a necessary evil I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:39:26 AM by Mark »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »
Fredcat has Metacam for his arthritis , but we only give it to him when he starts to limp. After a day nor so's dosing he is full of the joys of spring again and we stop giving it to him , untill the next time. The vet was fine with this - as he said , if he doesnt need it then dont give it to him!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
Well I didn't give her any yesterday or today and she seems to be lying comfortably  :Luv2:

She even wandered into the garden this morning so fingers crossed she will be fine - I know it won't last but the longer I can keep her off it, the better  :Luv2:

I think the dog bed may be helping as upstairs, she was cramming herself into a donut bed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:24:10 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 14:01:43 PM »
mmmmmm nice  :sick:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 13:55:27 PM »
Looks like we are both on Poo watch then Mark! :doh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 13:46:47 PM »
I find these vets much more approachable - Also not pushy with paying for things. She recommended human glucosamine as it's cheaper but said to check the dosage. I used to leave my old vets with  6 x stronghold every 6 months for each cat, like it or not - here you just ask for whatever you want on the way out.

Now she has been for a poo and there is blood in it. I'm sure she didn't eat any grass yesterday as she was in her bed most of the day - back to watching like a hawk  :scared:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 13:16:39 PM »
That all sounds very sensible and reassuring, Mark.  I'm interested in the treatment regimen that your vet recommended: it'll be interesting to see what ours says when Blip goes for her assessment in a couple of weeks' time.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
She is back down already  :Luv2:

Polished off a pouch and now playing with a Catac sack  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 19:36:37 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
that's good then isn't it?  suppose its like us taking something for a headache - is she resting in the penthouse now??

You guessed while I posted my last one - she is quite predicatable  :evillaugh:

The other thing I want to do is try to find a form on glucosamine that she will take.

I also asked the vet about the "Metacam Kills" site - she said, like any powerful drug, it needs to be used with caution but it's a very good drug. She said never give more than you need to and don't give it unnecessarily. She said it can have an effect on the kidneys so watch out for increased drinking or anything else out of character. She said if unsure, we are always here to advise on the phone at any time  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
hope she gets on ok, she'll forgive you!

Not yet she won't!  :(

As soon as I let her out the carrier, she started to go down to the basement but changed her mind 1/2 way down. She has retreated to the attic. She hasn't been up there for a week  In fact, I gave it a really good clean out last week and told OH the bath can now be used  :evillaugh: (the attic ensuite is the only bathroom with a bath - the others have showers  :evillaugh: )

I will leave her in peace and let her come back down when she is good & ready - I suppose it's her sanctuary  :Luv2: - I'm sure she will be back when she's hungry  :evillaugh:

Right, off to check on the others - I haven't seen Kylie yet today and been up since 5.30am  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 19:36:02 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:26 AM »
that's good then isn't it?  suppose its like us taking something for a headache - is she resting in the penthouse now??

Link to CatChat