Author Topic: are these signs of diabetes  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: are these signs of diabetes
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 22:56:22 PM »
Its a 14 day wait before claims with M&S and when you took out insurance did you tell them he was OK, was he OK?

The timing is really important and your policy should tell you the date it becomes operative for claims, if you have it yet!

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 15:08:34 PM »
just another question i have swapped over to marks and spencers only been there 2 weeks, will i still be able to claim from them or do they have a policy where you have to wait such and such a time

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 08:11:15 AM »
Good luck with teh blood tests Tan, I agree with the others, I would have him done asap - diabetes can be serious if not kept under control.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 21:25:55 PM »

Have to say, though, even just before he was diagnosed, my guy wasn't taking pot shots at me! That might just be age.....makes us all a bit grumpy!

My Hubby is Diabetic and when his blood sugars are high he gets grumpy,  REALLY grumpy.
He can go from lovely to "evil" very quickly lol

Hehe! Maybe I'm just lucky to have such a placid cat then!  :Luv: He is a big softie, he follows my partner around like a dog! (It's very sweet, it's like hero worship! :))

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 20:18:50 PM »
yes i will take him to the vets but would he need injections or tablet controlled

Probely injections but they are so easy to do.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 19:56:49 PM »
yes i will take him to the vets but would he need injections or tablet controlled

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 18:47:14 PM »

Have to say, though, even just before he was diagnosed, my guy wasn't taking pot shots at me! That might just be age.....makes us all a bit grumpy!

My Hubby is Diabetic and when his blood sugars are high he gets grumpy,  REALLY grumpy.
He can go from lovely to "evil" very quickly lol

saffron

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 17:58:51 PM »
I would take him to the vet asap as he is telling you he's not well

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 17:57:46 PM »
Excessive thirst could mean diabetes, but equally it could be due to kidney disease,  or even a simple infection, but a blood test will tell you for sure what it is or is not. I would get a test done asap, a full blood chemistry and heamatology which will give you the best picture of what is going on with your cat.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 17:04:47 PM »
Yep, I have a cat with diabetes and the few things you've mentioned do make the possibilty of it being diabetes fairly high.

Have to say, though, even just before he was diagnosed, my guy wasn't taking pot shots at me! That might just be age.....makes us all a bit grumpy! :) Of course, all cats react differently to feeling under the weather, that might just be his way of letting you know he feels a bit naff.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 15:48:52 PM »

The constant thirst is deff a sign of diabetes and the fact that he is over weight points to the same thing.

Just to clarify
He wouldn't be over weight because he has Diabetes, he would have diabetes because he is over weight !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 15:25:08 PM »
I agree with Michelle I would not wait if it were my cat and would most certainly see a vet ASAP. Although they say the others are useless, I am sure a blood test and the RCVS
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 14:39:29 PM »

Hi Tania  :welcome:

The constant thirst is deff a sign of diabetes and the fact that he is over weight points to the same thing.
How long is your vet away for ?
I personally wouldnt wait, its only a blood test that needs to be taken and any vet can do that. When you have the results and if it is positive you could then disgust medication with the vet you prefer.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
are these signs of diabetes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 14:30:49 PM »
my old cat of 15 quite overweight ( i rescued him as the owner had kept him in a cage all his life and now she was getting elderly it hurt her back bending down to put down food/water  :censored:) i have had him for a yr more or less
and i have noticed that he is getting grumpy and will attack me for no reason,has a incredible thirst, and is mouth is always dry and his eyes sometimes produce a clear/orange liquid from his eyes - not gooey just watery substance
i am going to take him to the vets, my et is o hol at the moment and i only want to see him as the others are useless!!
does this sound like diabetes or something alot worse
pls advise

Thanks

Tania

Link to CatChat