Author Topic: Advise on Collars needed!!!!  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advise on Collars needed!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 20:34:40 PM »
It would be bad for health if they escaped and as they grew the collar grew in the skin :( iv seen that in horses too  >:(

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 00:00:32 AM »
My cat is still too small to put a collar on even at 9 months, also because its big she can get her mouth around it while its on and get her jaw stuck, she cant release the breakaway buckle because she is too feable. This is not the cats with my bigger cats.

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 23:27:43 PM »
Kittens that young dont need to wear collars. To me its like putting hard shoes on a tiny baby, just unnecessary.

i can see your point that maybe it is too soon, however i thought that if you want them to wear collars you should get them used to it as early as possible...

i disagree with it being comparable to putting hard shoes on a baby though... that can be detrimental to a baby, but i can't see how putting a collar on a cat is going to do them any harm (unless they are go  :Crazy: and just really don't like it)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 22:01:17 PM »
Ahhh, turning into a debate again! :evillaugh: Have to say all mine were fully awake during microchipping and seemed to see the whole process as an irritating infringement on their time. ;)

:evillaugh: Actually i might start a poll to see who uses what IE collars, chipped, both or neither.....Just out of intrest

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 21:39:33 PM »
Ahhh, turning into a debate again! :evillaugh: Have to say all mine were fully awake during microchipping and seemed to see the whole process as an irritating infringement on their time. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 20:48:36 PM »
Kittens that young dont need to wear collars. To me its like putting hard shoes on a tiny baby, just unnecessary.

Got to agree here.....
They really don't need to be wearing collars. I have 11 cats and none of them wear collars. (all chipped)
If You are at all worried about them getting out before they are neutered then get them chipped earlier, although it is nicer to get them done while being neutered it doesnt hurt them as much as you think it does. (most of mine have been done while awake and didnt even flinch)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 20:28:19 PM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 20:17:00 PM »
i was advised that seen as though they won't be going outside until they are at least 6 months and have been neutered, that i may as well have this done while they are alseep being neutered as it won't cause them any discomfort as they will already be asleep...

That's exactly what I did, I was just super careful to make sure they didn't escape.

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 20:04:34 PM »
You can still have them microchipped now.

i was advised that seen as though they won't be going outside until they are at least 6 months and have been neutered, that i may as well have this done while they are alseep being neutered as it won't cause them any discomfort as they will already be asleep...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 20:05:08 PM by RoXyKaZ »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 20:00:31 PM »
Memph was chipped when he was about 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 20:00:46 PM by Den »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 19:55:48 PM »
Big Lad has a bell on his collar in the hopes that it will alert at least some of his prey. :tired: The others mainly have bells so i know where they are - specially the "lodger." She's faster than a speeding bullet.

There's no minimum age for microchipping is there? I was just wondering - sorry to go off topic.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 19:42:45 PM »
I think kittycollars are recommended for cats over 6 months, I found breakaway collars were too big for kittens even if you can get them to go small enough round the neck as my two kept getting their jaws trapped when they were little.  I waited til they were a bit bigger then started putting them on for short periods every day, 10 minutes to start off with then gradually increasing it.  I would definitely lose the elasticated collars and wait til they're a bit bigger before trying the breakaway type.  I'm sure with a bit of persistance they'll both come to accept them.

My boys are completely at ease with them now, they don't wear them in the house but when it's time to go out I call them over and they come running to have their collars put on.  Lucas normally gets his off within minutes but it's completely intentional, it doesn't bother him in the slightest it's just that he knows how to get it off so does! 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 19:36:14 PM »
I gather that they don't really work for alerting prey.

That's interesting. Can I ask what makes you believe that coz wud hate to think our little Noni was putting up with a bell for no good reason.

Cats learn very quickly to stalk without moving their necks (and thus the bell).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 19:29:58 PM »
You can still have them microchipped now.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 19:23:18 PM »
I gather that they don't really work for alerting prey.

That's interesting. Can I ask what makes you believe that coz wud hate to think our little Noni was putting up with a bell for no good reason.

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 19:11:16 PM »
no they aren't flee collars, just little clip elasticated ones... i've tried Link's again and he went mad and hid again, roxy still has her's on... i have decided that we won't leave them on overnight, will try them again tomorrow... i don't want to buy more collars till i know they will wear them, seems a waste... but i'm not gonna leave them on their own while they have them on just in case anything happens...

not sure what else to do with Link? i think he thinks something has got him round the neck?!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 19:04:05 PM »
BIG  :welcome: to Purrs. Just wondered if the collars you have got are flea collars? 

Flea treatment more reliable and less likely to irritate puddies if spot on treatment used. Again need to be careful with wee uns  :)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 18:44:44 PM »
I can confirm that the breakaway collars ( kittycollars) do work because Basil has already lost 2! One lasted 24 hours :wow: Anyway, I can certainly recommend them and I think that they make them for kittens too although they may just all be the same size and are adjustable. I think that a bell would drive any non-deaf cat crazy plus, I gather that they don't really work for alerting prey. I always remove them.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 18:32:23 PM »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 18:30:44 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, RoXyKaZ

The best collars are Kittycollars.  I will find a link for you.  Personally, I do not use collars but opinions are divided on this matter.  However, we are all agreed that the only collars to use are safety collars.

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 18:22:14 PM »
. Oh, and welcome to the site! :)
:thanks:

thanks for the info - they aren't microchipped yet as they are only 13 weeks and so will have this done when they are neutered...
will these 'snap off' type of collars go small enough? i will have a look for them next time...

i'm not sure whether its the bell initially that has scared him or whether he just doesn't like it... i'm note sure how long to try and leave it on him to see if he gets used to it  :tired:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 18:22:37 PM by RoXyKaZ »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 18:10:16 PM »
Firstly, elasticated collars aren't as safe as the manufacturers imply. There's a rescue lady on here that has some awful pictures of a cat that got caught in that type of collar. (A lot of people on here used them; including me, before having this information brought to their attention.) The best type of collar is a breakaway/quick release collar. Basically, it's meant to snap open if any pressure is put on the fastener. You do lose some but it's better than your cat getting hurt.

Some cats just REALLY don't like collars. I don't know if your two are microchipped, but that's definitely adviseable even if your cat does wear a collar.

Hope that helps. Oh, and welcome to the site! :)

Offline RoXyKaZ

• Adult Cat
Advise on Collars needed!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 17:50:57 PM »
We have decided to put collars on our kittens... i have got them kitten collars which are elasticated so will come off easily if they get them caught on anything and they have a little bell as well

when i first put them on i think they thought it was a toy but soon realised that this 'noise' was following them everywhere and they started going a bit crazy and Link was hissing... so i took the bells off them so they could just get used to wearing a collar, Roxy isn't too bad now, she is scratching at her neck a bit and looks a bit confused but Link however, keeps hiding and acting really weird. i've taken his off him and he won't leave my lap, he seems scared  :(

Any advise would be appreciated!  :shy:

Link to CatChat