Author Topic: Arthritis supplement help please  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Arthritis supplement help please
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 22:37:51 PM »
I'd rather not have to force things into her - she is on limited time, and would rather it be that bit shorter but happy
Please spay your cat

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 22:35:46 PM »
Green lipped muscle for arthritis apparently liked by some cats but not our Tom  :sick:

Errrrrrrrrrrrr, Toby has no choice, Rosella.  :evillaugh: Down the hatch the capsule goes, whether he likes it or not.  :shocked: He has the Denes ones with a mix of Glucosamine and Green-Lipped Mussel BTW.

He's on a maintenance dose of two capsules a week and it touch wood, works for him - the supplements have made a big difference to him. My vet recommended it to me as an alternative to courses of Metacam when he had episodes of being really creaky.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 21:16:25 PM »
Yeah, I have been encouraging small amounts of playing, she has had a play tonight, but not very steady on her feet bless her - mind you, she had ignored my offer of help to jump off my knee, so that might have had something to do with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:52 AM »
Good  :)  Hope you are able to sort something out to help her arthritis. Not wanting to teach granny (young slip of a thing tho you are Desley ;) ) to suck eggs but exercise is good for arthritis.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
Hi R - she had the basic bloods done, and the vet said that if she was hyper-t, there would be an indication on her liver results, but they came back normal. Two vets have felt her throat and listened to her heart, and neither have recommended further testing for hyper-t. 2.64 is light, but she is a tiny cat. She does like the heat (this week she has discovered that she gets to sit in the path of the sun in the cat room and not the bathroom, so is currently in there for the second day in a row), and loves to sit in the sun, unlike Moses who sits in the shade. She has now taken to her comfort mat, despite not liking it initially!! She might have moved from the radiator as my bathroom is the warmest room in the house, so it might have just been too warm.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 20:57:18 PM »
Desley, I hesitate to ask but not familiar with Rosie's story. Has she also been tested for HyperT?  She may just be a small cat but 2.64kg seems light and one of the symptoms of HyperT is not liking warmth as much as is usual for a puddie  :-: 

Thomas has one of those reflective furry mats from PAH to help with his arthritis in back legs which he started off hating (it's quite crinkly) but loves now which is just as well as metacam suspended pending blood tests in a few weeks (now mildly HyperT which may be masking poss kidney issues so to be retested following 1 month on HyperT meds)

Green lipped muscle for arthritis apparently liked by some cats but not our Tom  :sick:

All I can say is I hope someone looks after me as well when I'm old and grey......like NOW   :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 19:01:13 PM »
Thanks C - she has a bed I can put in the microwave, but doesn't seem keen on it at the moment - she has already stopped sleeping in front of the radiator of her own accord, despite apparently always liking to sit in front of fires and loving it when she first came.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 18:53:56 PM »
Desley, CoSequin comes as a powder within capsules so that you can hide the powder in something like Primula.  I would also vote for a Snugglesafe heat pad.  Both of these things seem to work for Blip, although she sometimes gets sniffy about the Primula Mickey Finns.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Arthritis supplement help please
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 18:48:37 PM »
As most of you know, Rosie has CRF. Vet confirmed on Sat that she also has arthritis, but due to the CRF, Metacam isn't an option. There seem to be multiple supplements, and I am trying to work out which would be best for her - she isn't very keen on things being added to her food, but has tolerated human glucosamine/chondroitin for a couple of days, but I am concerned about it containing calcium, so looking into a pet alternative, as checking out the ingredients, none of them contain it, so obviously not needed. Wondered what people use and what they would recommend - or is the human stuff OK for her? She is only 2.64kg so I doubt she would need a lot to give her some relief.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat