Author Topic: allergic to fleas  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: allergic to fleas
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 19:01:33 PM »
Im yet to read the whole mag  :tired:  it happened to fall open on that page a week ago

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 21:20:12 PM »
i agree MM - and mentioning flea collars. Mind you, it wasn't the most annoying thing I saw in this months YourCat, that went to the kitten article that said a minimum of 6 weeks old for kittens to be rehomed - what chance do we have??
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:49 AM »
Samantha is allergic to fleas. Luckily, there don't seem to be many around. I occasionally do the house with Acclaim and put FL spot on on both P and S. In addition, I put the FL spray on the lower half of Sam's back, which is where the flea welts are worse, though she rarely has them now.

I read somewhere that it's best to treat the environment, as this is where fleas spend most of their life-cycle (as eggs and lavae etc); once they jump on the cat, the fleas are already dying. Regularly treating with FL does help to break the cycle, but it's best to treat the house thoroughly when the problem first arises.

Maybe you aren't using the FL often enough?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 19:06:49 PM »
There is a 4 page article in you cat magazine this month on fleas. It gives all the useful information and descriptions of the different types of products you can buy.

Drives me mad that they waste page space on bloody bob johnson and sherleys!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 13:28:51 PM »
Ovarid is also used in the treatment of Milliary Dermatitis  http://www.vet2pet.co.uk/pethealth/cathealth/showdiseasedetailscat.asp?ID=79&Animal=2

Milliary dermatitis is a hypersensitivity reaction of the skin. Something the cat is coming into contact with causes an allergic reaction in the skin. In the vast majority of cases the problem is flea bites (about 99% of the time). The locations around the head and base of the tails are the favourite biting locations of fleas. It does not require a severe infestation of fleas to cause this problem in an allergic cat – even a single flea present and biting can be enough to cause the problem.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
Sooty (RIP) used to have a flea allergy, I found that the 6 monthly injection (is it program, can't remember) worked best for him. 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »
There is a 4 page article in you cat magazine this month on fleas. It gives all the useful information and descriptions of the different types of products you can buy.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »
Ovarid is a hormone tablet - Tom was given it due to his spraying, but I only gave it him once due to the side effects - didn't want him getting mammary cancer.
It might be worth changing from normal Frontline to one of the other flea treatments, or use it more often.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 00:00:06 AM »
Yes it is and I rang ny vets and said I could get them cheaper online and that there was a moritorium on charging for the script. The girl on reception seemed to think I was talking out of the back of my head but within an hour the vet had written a script with 3 repeats, so you can get 4 lots  ;D

If you go to the VET Uk site and either in FAQ or help it gives the low down on prescriptions and no charging by vet.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 23:53:19 PM »
Kocka was allergic to fleas and put on Stronghold which stopped the problem. Agree that if she has had loads of them you may need to do the house too.

Just bought from VET UK and just under £24 for 6 as opposed to my vets £33!

Gill is Stronghols still a POM ?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 23:41:22 PM »
Kocka was allergic to fleas and put on Stronghold which stopped the problem. Agree that if she has had loads of them you may need to do the house too.

Just bought from VET UK and just under £24 for 6 as opposed to my vets £33!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 23:10:24 PM »
My beautiful ginger boy Sox (RIP) was allergic to fleas.  We used frontline and 95% of the time everything was OK however on the odd occasion Sox came in contact with one of the nasty little blighters my vet prescribed Ovarid tablets which worked a treat.

I thought ovarid were to stop a female from coming into season ?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 21:14:18 PM »
My beautiful ginger boy Sox (RIP) was allergic to fleas.  We used frontline and 95% of the time everything was OK however on the odd occasion Sox came in contact with one of the nasty little blighters my vet prescribed Ovarid tablets which worked a treat.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 16:15:27 PM »
Yes my first cat, Baby, had an allergy to fleas.

Although i treated her with frontline in the summer i would have to take her to the vets for an injection once a month as she would get covered in scabs.
The problem is although they are treated for fleas that doesnt mean fleas wont jump on them - and just one bite brings them out in a reaction

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 15:44:04 PM »
As a regular frontline user you may like to know that you can save yourself a fortune by buying your spot on's online from vet uk  ;D
You can also buy a house spray from there too, i use indorex as it treats house mites aswell.

How regularly do you treat him? It says in the blurb upto 5 weeks

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 14:12:45 PM »
any one else cat suffer from this , my cats have front line and it works a dream till a few days before there due some more and then my cat will get cover in scabs and lose all his fluff , the vet said he is allergic to fleas cos he didnt have them in the first year of life cos he lived in a flat and never went outside , if they anything i can do to relieve the sores or any better flea treatment that doesnt wear off right at the end

I presume you have treated the house as well? If not I'd get a spray from the vet, Acclaim or Staykill are good. That will ensure you kill all the eggs/larvae that may be lurking in carpets, round skirting boards, bedding etc.

Offline hellywelly

• Kitten
allergic to fleas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 13:47:37 PM »
any one else cat suffer from this , my cats have front line and it works a dream till a few days before there due some more and then my cat will get cover in scabs and lose all his fluff , the vet said he is allergic to fleas cos he didnt have them in the first year of life cos he lived in a flat and never went outside , if they anything i can do to relieve the sores or any better flea treatment that doesnt wear off right at the end

Link to CatChat