Author Topic: collar or not?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: collar or not?
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:58:41 AM »
The info on the tags would let someone know immediately that they are lost

The only downside I see to that is that when people see a cat with a collar many assume it has an owner so would not necessarily look anyway.

Please don't think I am being argumentative I am not, I am just stating what I hear on a regular basis when I ask why someone did not report the cat before. Obviously if they are involved in an accident that may be different but of course any cat taken to a rescue or any vet would be immediately scanned anyway.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
No collars for mine , and no playtime outside after dusk! (much to Beavis disgust!)
Fred-cat also doesnt have a collar but as he came to us as a stray he cannot beat to be locked in anywhere so he has outdoor access all the time.

Both are micro-chipped.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 23:04:36 PM »
Collar

Breakaway type only though.  Mine don't wear them indoors but when I let them into the (catproofed) garden the first thing I do is put their collars on.  The info on the tags would let someone know immediately that they are lost, they say 'New to area, if you are reading this I am lost'.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 21:26:40 PM »
My grown up cats do not have collars on but the kittens do, safety collars.  They do work, we have lost a few.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 20:39:29 PM »
Not.

Im with Ela.
I tried the break away collars when my lot first went out, they got their jaws in them and they didnt snap apart. Mine are chipped and uncollared. In from dusk til dawn and also in when no one is home to supervise them.

Offline sallyagdm

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Arnie, Gucci and Dandy
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 16:32:03 PM »
I would say no to collars after my previous cat when she was young somehow got her mouth caught in it. Breakaway safety collars did not exist then and I was grateful that I was around to free her, while getting lots of bites and scratches along the way as she got very frightened. Since then I have avoided collars like the plague and have my current cats microchipped

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 14:21:45 PM »
This topic does seem to cause a strong reaction, so be preapred!

I am saying nothing. ;D

Oops changed my mind. All I would say is that I have dealt with many injuries some fatal due  to collars and some of them have been  some makes of so called safety collars. As far as I can recall none of them the make named in these posts. Having said that I personally would never recommend collars but that is just my opinion and obviously many people have different thoughts and reasons for those thoughts on this topic.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 13:59:35 PM »
Break-away collars for my two! They are microchiped, but as that's not a visible indication that they have a home, I use collars with thier phone number printed on ( www.kittycollars.co.uk). So far, one collar has been lost but at least the cat returned safely.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 09:06:23 AM »
Mine (and Noni!) all wear quick release collars and seem perfectly happy to do so. This topic does seem to cause a strong reaction, so be prepared! ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:38:07 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »
Like these www.kittycollars.co.uk

Plenty of people on here have seen horrific injuries, some needing amputation after using some so-called elasticated safety collars. Some people argue that if their cat went AWOL, not everyone would think of getting them to a vet to scan the chip. It's a difficult one, but yes breakaway only. You may lose a few over time but better than the alternative.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 22:12:28 PM »
This question always produces strong views.

I am a no collar person but all I will say is if you wish to use a collare make sure its a proper safety one with a clasp that breaks open if the collar gets caught. The ones with elastic can cause very nasty injuries.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 21:45:50 PM »
NO collar for me !!

I have 11 cats, all mirco-chipped and none wear collars
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 23:15:46 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

Offline nellie jones

• Adult Cat
collar or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 21:44:37 PM »
 I was just wondering what are everyones views on collars? I am planning to have my kitten chipped when he goes in for his op, and then I will let him out, I did the same with my last cat but never gave him a collar as well? I am in two minds this time, what do you think?

Link to CatChat