Author Topic: Another eye problem - Korky  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Another eye problem - Korky
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 20:50:52 PM »
pleased that korky is ok  ;D

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 15:21:13 PM »
Well Korky's eye is fine today after I stopped trying to put the drops in so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with him.  In fact his coat is looking healthier than it has for a while and his persistent itching and occasional scabbiness (diagnosed as an allergy to some unspecified substance) has also cleared up.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 19:11:27 PM »
The past few days Jameson has been blinking a bit more than usual, had watery eye and once he had it completely closed and when he tried opening it a big tear drop came out of it. I got really worried but left it for a while as I knew he had been destroying his catnip sock and rolled around in it, plus he has a habit of rolling around in OH's saw dust. I said that if it seems to get worse I take him to the vets, if not I'll leave it and now he seems totally fine.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 18:13:24 PM »
 :thanks: thats really helpful Madkitty.  We've just returned to France  and have been here 2 weeks now.   Korky was here with us last year but the place has been empty over the winter. The journey out here took 2 days so that might explain it.  I took him to the vet yesterday and he put fluorescein drops in both his eyes to check for any damage but found none. He seemed convinced that Korky had been fighting which is totally out the question because he hasn't been outside since we arrived and definitely hadn't been fighting before we left the UK.  He then washed the fluorescein out of his eyes (rather too roughly I thought) and eventually prescribed some drops containing antibiotic (gentamicin), steroid (dexamethasone) and antiseptic.  The instruction is to use them at least 4 times a day but so so far i don't think any of my attempts have actually hit the spot.  After the rough treatment he got at the vets Korky is being very unco-operative!  In light of your experience I think I will stop trying and I'm sure things will settle down.  Trying to put the drops in is no doubt adding to the stress.
The vet visit was an experience and if my internet connection will hold (not on broadband) I'll post it later under general cat chat.  Once again thanks.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 21:08:18 PM »
its quite normal to find that Carol.

has anything changed in the house lately, new detergent?  new spray?  or is he stressed about something.  These can all add to a watery eye.

If it is a green discharge then I'd be concerned and obviously have him seen by the vet...  but if you are at all worried and want to put your mind at ease then likewise have him seen by the vet.   Better to be safe than sorry. xx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 21:28:07 PM »
Fraid I have no advice, but good luck with the vets.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
Another eye problem - Korky
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 20:52:44 PM »
There seem to be quite a few eye problems around at the moment so Korky has decided to join in the fun. His right eye is very weepy.  It doesn't seen to be bothering him at all and the eye itself looks quite normal, there's just this constant wet patch on his fur.  I wouldn't worry too much except that when I wipe it it has a distinct pink/red colour which looks very much like watered down blood.  I'll be making an appointment with the vet tomorrow but has anyone any thoughts as to what it might be in the meantime?

Link to CatChat