Author Topic: Cat behaviourists  (Read 1666 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat behaviourists
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »
Without reading the other replies I'd say steer clear. The only way a behaviouralist can really see what issues a cat may have is to seem them in their home environment.

Good luck!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
Thanks everyone you pretty much confirmed our thoughts.

I don't want to name and shame anyone but the "organisation" I was going to use is who we recommend and currently use at work and we've had fantastic results with the dogs which was why I was keen to use them, coupled with I have a feeling a "normal behaviourist" MIGHT suggest Milo being the problem. It wasn't until I was put in touch with the actual behaviourist I found out what she won't come to the house.

Our vet was happy to refer us to this person but did say they have a behaviourist that they also use who she can refer us to.

I don't know if we're barking up the wrong tree but I want to give this a go with Jess, something has obviously happened in his past that has made him and made him the way he is and if we can work together to improve his situation further than I'll be happy with that.

I've got Vicky Hall's books and have started to read them but I have to admit I've not had a chance recently to sit down and get into them as much as I want to, along with the cat massage and T Touch book.

We know our insurance isn't going to cover the behaviour consultations but to be honest we're happy to pay for it anyway.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 20:18:08 PM »
I would def get them to come to you and I would also ask for the names of previous clients as references, to check that they've helped. You're basically looking for the source of the stress, which is tricky, then try to remove it. Imho behaviour therapy works better with dogs than cats, but I hope it works out for you.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 17:55:58 PM »
Best thing is to get a vet to refer you to one.  Members of the association of pet behaviour counsellors, for example, are only allowed see people on referral from a vet.  I think there is one other similar organisation that operates pretty much the same.  If your insurance covers a behaviourist, they will only pay up if you are vet referred too.

If your vet doesn't know one, you can try to find one yourself and then ask your vet for a referral.  This link might help.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 17:49:22 PM »
Have you read the Vicky Halls books? - you can get them in the big Tescos

(I hope it wasn't her as she lives in Kent, near here  :evillaugh: )

I agree with the others. They would need to see the layout of your house etc to understand access etc
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 17:50:33 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 17:49:18 PM »
+1 to what BC says

A behaviourist should come to you.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 17:46:20 PM »
find a new behaviourist! If she knows so little about cats that she is recommending hiring a hall for you to take your cat to, then she is not worth paying. A behaviourist needs to see the cat and its home environment so that they can assess the threats and stressors that are causing whatever behaviour is causing you to seek advice. They need to see the animal interact with other animals in the house and also the various humans that come and go. And they also need to see your cat's refuges, and access points. If they do not see this environment they can only give you very general advice, which TBF at £50 a pop is not worth the money you are paying as you can get that from any book on animal behaviour ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 17:41:44 PM »
I would try another one, assessing a cat in the home is the best place to see them in action surely  :-:
I know if i did that for taz the stress would set him off big time!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Cat behaviourists
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 15:58:03 PM »
Has anyone ever seen one and got any recommendations,

We're trying to arrange for Jess to see someone, but she won't come to the house and I can't get to her (she lives in Kent, I'm in Essex and we don't drive) she is prepared to travel to me but not to the house, she would rather hire a hall, which is fine with me but I can't seem to find one in our area which will allow a cat in it. The other thing is I don't want to stress Jess by travelling by taxi too far with him and having put put him in his vet box.

I don't know whether to try and find someone else or not!

Anyone have any thoughs?  :thanks:

Link to CatChat