Author Topic: Advice on good sites (diabetes in cats)  (Read 2219 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice on good sites (diabetes in cats)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 23:08:06 PM »
Ummm, I'm not quite sure why this thread was revived but I lost Toby (Little Junkie) almost a year ago due to CRF.(It will be one year next month.) He went into remission from diabetes for a brief amount of time before the CRF diagnosis.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 21:03:32 PM »
I got some karo syrup from e-bay some time back which I keep for emergencies but I also got some liquid glucose just the other day in Sainsburys, I think it was where the vanilla essences etc are kept.  Hope this helps.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
I just remembered that I have also seen liquid glucose (glucose syrup) in tesco in the baking section "Supercook" brand. Not sure if the Boots one is anything special?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »
It's alright, Mark. if I go into Boots and ask for liquid glucose they'll know which one I want. :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
JS.. get liquid glucose from the chemist, the syrup you mentioned is probably a similar type thing but the liq gluc does work very quickly and is ideal, i always recommend diabetic owners to keep it in their first aid cupboard.

I can't remember where I saw it but I was looking at a cat diabetes site last week and it recommended the one they sold in boots. I can't remember the name of it but the containers says it was previously called something else (probably not much help)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
Will do, Lynn. How much is it usually?

Also, on a side note - blood test strips. Is the expiry date a rough guide or a definite "don't use after this time as it won't be accurate?" (I have some in date ones too, don't worry!)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 11:10:03 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:26 AM »
JS.. get liquid glucose from the chemist, the syrup you mentioned is probably a similar type thing but the liq gluc does work very quickly and is ideal, i always recommend diabetic owners to keep it in their first aid cupboard.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 21:54:26 PM »
Some of those are helpful but the main thing I need is a list of "dos" and "donts" in the event of either attack. Heck, I panicked the first time LJ got a bit dodgy, I don't think I should subject my friend to it too! :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice on good sites (diabetes in cats)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
I basically need the link to a site that gives a simple comprehensive list of symptoms to look in the events of hyperglycemic and hypoglycemic attacks.  I want to print them out and have them available for my friend in case she ends up caring for my zoo again at any point.

Also, does anyone know where I can get Karo syrup from in the UK? Apparantly, it's the best thing to get sugar levels back up if it's an emergency.

Link to CatChat