Author Topic: A TIMLEY REMINDER ABOUT CHOCOALATE  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: A TIMLEY REMINDER ABOUT CHOCOALATE
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
I use "Bugs Away"

:drool; :drool; :drool; My addiction!  :shify:  :gimme: its all mine....sorry for that outburst!  :shy:

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 22:36:12 PM »
I use Dettol and there are no animal warnings on the bottle.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 19:49:41 PM »
I use trigene, diluted it goes for miles. Household products are ecover or similar. Their toilet cleaner goes cloudy in water tho  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 18:11:39 PM »
I was trying to find the Molly Weir advert from the 60's "cleans floors without scrrrrrrrratching"  :evillaugh:

I could only find one with Valerie singleton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hig5BNyFgt4
I would like to add that I do not buy flash  >:(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 18:17:53 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 17:27:14 PM »
 :wow: I must use more of it to see if I can bubble up the floor a bit - no, only use a little bit diluted. Just enough to clean and then I rinse. Nice image though  :rofl:

I suppose we should all be Ecovering for our carbon pawprints!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 17:07:03 PM »
Washing up liquid  :Crazy:

What about the bubbles?  :Crazy:

I like Pledge soapy cleaner - smells lovely and Ecover all purpose - also lovely. I do use others like apple dettol in the bathroom. It doesn't go cloudy.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 16:40:09 PM »
I work on the assumption that most of the non cloudy ones have the same ingredients so use washing up liquid for the floors where paws may come into contact and very diluted Stardrops for most other things.
I think best to avoid anything with ammonia/bleach. All the supermarket cleaners say keep away from children and pets. Once or twice I've been down on my hands and knees to clean the kitchen or bathroom with those wipes things (exhausting; not recommended even for tiny rooms like mine) and as long as it dried before felines trod on it, it seems to be ok.

Still want to know who on here decided that the word for Cho***te would always come out as healthyfood lol!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 16:40:37 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:29 AM »
I don't know if any cleaner is safer than another (I don't buy Flash as it's made by Procter and Gamble) but it kills all germs, viruses and moulds - I use it for litter trays as well. I get mine in Wilkinsons - Also you can get it in Home Bargains if you have them. I think it's just a case of minimising the amount they come into contact with - that's why I use paper towels to dry it - although you can't really do that with floors  :evillaugh:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
We currently use flash multi surface spray, clean the worktop with it and then dry with paper towel. I guess this probably falls into the catagory of dangerous cleaners though. Where can I get some of this 'bugs away?'

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Basically anything with phenols is bad. Anything that turns milky (dettol, cheap disinfectant, zoflora etc)  when water is added is poisonous as cats livers don't have the enzyme to break it down and it build up in their system. I use "Bugs Away" - I spray the work top and dry with paper towel to get rid of as much as possible. With floors, make sure they are dry before animals walk on them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 16:05:58 PM by Mark »

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »
I knew that chocolate was bad and that there are several poisonous kinds of plant (reminds me I need to check my plants and find any bad ones a new home before my cats arrive) but I didn't know about the dettol. Is there a kind of kitchen cleaner that will be safe to use. I would be worried about my cats walking on the floor and picking up traces of cleaning product which they then ingested when washing.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
Thank you! !
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
There is a page with items about Lilies and choclit here - on Fab Cats http://www.fabcats.org/owners/poisons/article.html
I would be tempted to add that onions, leeks and garlic are all part of the lily family and therefore all poisonous to cats.

PRETTY DEADLY

A vase of lilies may look pretty standing on your table, but if you have a cat, beware!

The plants of the lilium species are among the most dangerous for cats. These include day lily (hemerocalis species), Easter lily, stargazer, rubrum, tiger and Asiatic lilies (all of the Lilium family). Symptoms of poisoning from these plants include protracted vomiting, anorexia and depression and ingestion can cause severe, possibly fatal, kidney damage.

If your cat shows signs of possible poisoning, seek veterinary help immediately. For more information on potentially poisonous plants for cats, click here

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:25:52 AM by Mark »

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:59:24 AM »
Great reminder Ela.. I was also going to send out an update via email on Easter Lillies.. Can someone point me to a brief but concise article i can edit pls..?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
A TIMLEY REMINDER ABOUT CHOCOALATE
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:02 AM »
Now it is almost Easter I think perhaps it is appropriate to ask people to read:- http://petcaretips.net/cat-healthyfood-poisoning.html. I appreciate many of us do know  but we have so many newbies that it is always good to point out potential problems. This  information of course also applies to dogs and it is surprising how only a  little piece healthyfood can be fatal.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:37:22 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat