Author Topic: Can my foster kitten be pregnant?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Re: Can my foster kitten be pregnant?
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 18:32:15 PM »
Hope everything went well today in the vet. :hug:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »
Fingers crossed she isn't Hels, as her bro does seem a bit young to be mature. Will your vet neuter them at 5 months for you, to make sure you dont have another panic?
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »
Truthfully if she were one of mine I would take her to vet for a check up. I really do not think she is pregnant,logically a cat is usually 4 weeks pregnant when she starts to show signs of pregnancy so if you deduct 4 weeks from her age that means to be pregnant she would have indulged at 15 weeks old

My thoughts exactly before I read your post. Also if she were pregnant  I think (although I do not like it) ask for a termination (in fact I think my vet wpould suggest it) which would possibly be in the little ones interest. I appreciate others may well think differently, but for a kitten to be a mum herself  can be a big problem.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:40:14 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »
Good Luck at the vets today hels!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 22:23:52 PM »
hels

One of the feral colonies I dealt with last year, was so inbreed and with queens on their 6-7-8 litter, etc., that the kittens were in a terrible state. Most were badly nurished and all were small and genetically damaged or weakened. There's so many cause for swollen tums in feral kittens that all worrying about it will do is lose you sleep. Some of the things were had were severe, impacted worms, enlarged kidneys and livers, and one of them managed to mug all his sibblings of their biscuits and blew up like a puffer fish.  :evillaugh: I do doubt that's she's pregnant. Although with the change in the weather, she may be gearing up for her first season so it would be wise to get her done as soon as convenient.  ;) So have a cuppa off to the vet with you in the morning!  :ok:

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 21:26:26 PM »
i think i would consider having her spayed if she is pregnant. normally i would never consider it but she is tiny herself. a few years ago i fostered a very pregnant feral cat who was so young, she lost all her kittens. i dont think i could put beryl through that.

i'll get her to the vets and update tomorrow

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 21:13:06 PM »
what a shame about the tail  :(  She's still very pretty though.

Hels will your vet be able to see her tomorrow and put your mind at ease before the weekend ?

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 21:11:43 PM »
It's not your fault so don't feel bad if she is. Would you consider having her spayed if she is indeed pregnant and it's still early enough in the pregnancy?
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 21:08:27 PM »
Lynn
Mia was last summer,she was the little minx who enjoyed my ice cream, shes got a super home now though lost half of her bushy tail in an accident at Christmas time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 21:01:49 PM »
was Mia in the latter half of last year T, i think i remember a worrying few days with her.

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 20:59:51 PM »
thanks teresa, i will get her to the vets tomorrow and see what's up. i hope it's just worms.

thanks again, you've been really kind

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 20:55:45 PM »
Hels
Truthfully if she were one of mine I would take her to vet for a check up. I really do not think she is pregnant,logically a cat is usually 4 weeks pregnant when she starts to show signs of pregnancy so if you deduct 4 weeks from her age that means to be pregnant she would have indulged at 15 weeks old.
I picked up a youngster last year huge belly(Mia) we worried sick over pregnancy she wasnt, tested for corona virus Negative , she ended up needing that much wormer on vets advice it was unbelievable.
Guess what I`m trying to say is dont panic,your vet will re assure you. :hug: :hug:

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 20:46:22 PM »
despite being ex ferals, the chap who helped me trapped them and still feeds their mum and three other ferals knew exactly when they were born, as he noticed the size change in the mum (mum cat I got spayed and re-released). they are dead on 19 weeks which 4 and a bit months really.

i just hope so much she's not pregnant, could it be worms teresa?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 20:38:47 PM »
Hels if they are only 5months she may be mature but I doubt her brother would have anything serious to fire; is it possible they are older?
 :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 20:34:06 PM »
she cleary needs to be seen by a vet and if only 5 months old may stand a higher chance of possibly requireing a c section etc.  However even "good" breeders can get caught by a silent heat.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 20:28:09 PM »
why? no-one expects their cats to get pregnant if they are well cared for. If she is pregnant, then that is unfortunate, but not much you can do about it now. Suggest that you get some dietary advice from the vet though as, being still growing herself, she will need a dietary supplement to keep her own bone-strength up while she is growing the kittens.

Have your vet check her out, it may just be puberty!!

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 20:25:36 PM »
I've had her for two months, she was feral and i'm tamed her. I have her brother too, oh god i feel like such an idiot

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 20:24:22 PM »
some cats have what is called a silent heat - they show no signs of oestrus until they meet a likely lad. If she is allowed outside, or you have entire males who can access her then there is a good chance she may be, even so young as that. How long has she been in your care?

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
Can my foster kitten be pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 20:22:33 PM »
I am a little scared that my foster kitten could be pregnant. I've never seen or heard any signs that she's been in heat but her tummy is definitely swollen and not fat. I've looked at her nipples and they aren't particularly swollen or pink. She's been wormed about a month ago. I have her brother too, they are about 5 months old.

I would feel so completely devastated if she was pregnant, i have been keeping such a good eye on her but i really thought a cat had to go into heat to become pregnant?

I dont know what else it can be...

Link to CatChat