Author Topic: arghhhh spare cat/kali vomiting worms!  (Read 1594 times)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
Re: arghhhh spare cat/kali vomiting worms!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 21:30:06 PM »
thank you both! id origionally wormed lucifer monthly and had intended to do the same with spare cat/kali but the vet said not to- mind you i think he thought i was crazy, and i probably did come across as more than slightly obsessed with them and probably just thought i was over reacting. he didnt mention cysts or anything tho and i did tell him about the vomited worm- i think its vomit anyway, small puddles of beigey liquid that stains, complete with wriggling worms. apologies for graphic descriptions :sick:

Quote from: Millys Mum link=topic=12050.msg205965#msg205965 date=1202839006

I would also ask my vet where they got their info from  :rofl:
[/quote

did i miss something there?

lynn, did u miss my spare cat dramas?!! she was a lost cat, never claimed and shes just sort of wedged herself into my home. shes lovely tho, nothing like lucifer but on the upside theres actually a masculine presence in the house now! (spare cat is a female, but a very burly, unladylike one) not entirely sure shes all there mentally but she seems happy enough. and lucifer and spare cat/kali are finally getting on- almost friendly! they were both sat facing each other on the sofa arm for about 20mins earlier. just politely ignoring each other! :wow:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 20:53:03 PM »
MM I think i should put your statement on a signiture coz i've had to say that so often  :tired:

defo round worms snarf (ps spare cat..ive missed all that  :-:  )

i'd start a monthly worming for both cats for next 3 or so months then cut back to every 2 months then maybe every 3 months.  the latest advice is actually life long monthly worming.  The cysts can lie dormant in any muscle or organ tissue and become active at any time (not all at same time)  with round worm they eventually end up in the lungs where they mature and normally the cat will "cough" them up, some are swallowed and end up in the gut where they finished maturing and reproduce themselves, larval (cyst) stages end up in tissues again and so the cycle can be repeated all through animals life)  some though are coughed up completely and appears as if the cat has vomited them but they have come up from the lungs so coughed up rather than vomited up.

drontal is effective enough.

tapeworm is different and there is no dormant cysts lying around in the body from them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 17:56:46 PM »
Drontal & milbemax are both as good as each other i think.

He could ingest eggs from the litter tray so probably wise to do him too.
Id do it monthly for 3 months and then go back to 3 monthly doses and see how she goes.

I would also ask my vet where they got their info from  :rofl:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 20:53:10 PM »
 does it sound like roundworm then?
theyre only ever wormed with drontal or milbemax- is either better? ive been trying to get a prescription for milbemax as theyre smaller and lucifer and kali just take those which makes life easier!

Round worm can hibernate as cysts in muscle tissue and migrate out thus reinfecting the cat.

yuk didnt know about that

would it be wise to worm lucifer monthly as well while im at it? just incase? or can it have a negative effect?
and how long should i keep up the monthly worming to be sure the butter are gone?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 17:28:21 PM »
Cats dont need to ever go outside to get roundworm, thats why routine worming is advisable regardless.

Round worm can hibernate as cysts in muscle tissue and migrate out thus reinfecting the cat.
Wormers dont have a lasting effect in the body say like a frontline spot on so you can safely worm her monthly to knock the butter on the head  :evillaugh:

Make sure you use a decent treatment such as drontal or milbemax. You can buy drontal online very cheaply  ;) using a rescue link of course  :evillaugh:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 13:31:44 PM »
No advice but good luck and ugh

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
arghhhh spare cat/kali vomiting worms!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 13:24:29 PM »
arghhh

spare cat has just vomited about 6/7 white worms- each about 1 1/2-2 inch

she did this just before christmas, so i took her to the vets. she was wormed then, before that she was wormed when i first took her in (early sept) and in early oct to make sure she was clear.

shes an indoor only cat, as is lucifer ( who has been wormed at all the same times bar the first -before they were mixing). lucifer doesnt have any signs of worms tho :shocked: and ive not been able to see any in the litter

the vet said they should only need worming 6monthly as theyre indoor but when i looked sceptical said i could worm them 3monthly. so why after 2 months is she so infested again! euuugh!
all i can think of is that one of them threw up about 3hours after the last wormer in dec- the vet said that was ok as theyre absorbed within half hour?

any ideas peeps? or any ideas what worms these could be- theyre not tapeworm, they look like small, thinner white garden worms?

mind you, in true cat style, she did this on the new cream rug, about 2 inches away from my friends lovely new smart work shoes after she'd worken him up retching! at least she has a sense of humour!

Link to CatChat