Author Topic: Can an outdoor cat become an indoor cat?  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Can an outdoor cat become an indoor cat?
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 21:11:55 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this earlier Claire, I am sorry you have had personal problems, and I hope Felix settles in well as an indoor only cat - he has the most important thing, which is a loving mum. i would try and make the windowsills interesting for him - Molly much prefers to sit and chatter to birds from my bedroom windowsill even when the front door is open!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 18:54:02 PM »
Hi Clare,

Like everyone else I'm so sorry to hear of your personal probs.  Hopefully, everything will work out wonderfully for you. 

What a great post Pete (Beanie) !   Love the idea of drilling a hole in the side of a ping pong ball for a cat treat.

Clare: I don't suppose your new flat has a balcony does it?   If it does, it can be made safe and this would give Felix some fresh air and interest. 

Some cats never seem to mind being indoor only cats even if they have been used to going outside previously, while others kick up a storm.  It doesn't sound like Felix is going to be one of the latter.

Just remember to give him fun play at night or whenever you are at home....about twenty minutes every so often should suffice.  Mine love the Panic Mouse (toy) which is a boon if you are feeling tired. They particularly like it if I pick it up while its whirling about and add to its unpredictability. Highly recommended!

I posted earlier (before Christmas) on a toy thread that I had bought a Fling-amy-string and none of my bunch seemed very interested in it.  Well, they have now decided that it is okay after all...and actually spend some minutes trying to catch the string ;D

I only mention these ( Panic Mouse and the Fling-amy-string) because I know that after a really busy day, you sometimes just don't have enough energy to play fishing games for 2 hours or more!!!

Good luck with everything

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 19:16:57 PM »
Thanks very much for that beanie, I've put in an offer on a flat and it's been accepted, I'm happy and I'm sure Felix will settle, he has loads of toys, can use a tray, and I will spend as much time as poss with him and make sure he gets all my attention (he does anyway!!)

Thanks to all for the advice, I really appreciate it  :Luv:
Claire M x

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 23:03:11 PM »
Claire,

As promised earlier -  a few suggestions.

Climbing Frames
Cats really appreciate a three-dimensional environment, as evidenced by their constant attempts to climb up on anything high. Cilimbing frames placed in strategic locations allows your cat to elevate his position with ease and obtain a panoramic view of the outside world. This is akin to having a cat newspaperp as they survey all around in safety and catch up on the latest comings and goings. Cats love watching life.

Bird Feeders
The instinct to watch and stalk birds still courses through cats' veins even though it may have been generations since they relied on catching prey for a living. The provision of window feeders for birds can provide cats with a lot of viewing opportunities at no risk to the birds. Alternatively a bird feeder near your flat window assuming that you are on the ground floor.

Fish Tanks
First and foremost you need to be careful and have the safety of the fish firmly in mind. For similar reasons as the bird feeder, a fish tank (with its lid firmly attached) can be another great pleasure for cats. Even though they never catch the fish, that failure does not detract from the thrill of “fishing.” It drives their curiosity and imagination.

Food puzzles
Traditionally before domestication, cats had to work for their food. Hunting consumed a great deal of their time and energy. We tend to simply put down their food and leave them to scoff in as little as 5 minutes. What do they do then – sleep? If you get creative regarding your cat's feeding opportunities you can spin out those meals and make the process of eating more entertaining. It is diificult in a multi cat household, especially if some cats have special dietary needs. Anyway, Some ideas:

1. Putting your cat's dry nuggets inside an old kitchen roll cardboard tube with the ends lightly taped over and holes drilled in the sides to release kibble intermittently. You need to be careful that no tape is so small that it could be swallowed or become stuck in the throat. Better to be present to see how it works first as a  test run. The tube rolls around and is fun to chase and provides exercise in the process which is important as indoor cats don't generally get the same amount of exercise, especilally in a small flat.

2. A plastic cube with various compartments for food that falls out as the cat bats it.

3. Ping-pong balls
Drill a hole in the side to allow you to put a single piece of dry cat food inside.

4. Non-toxic grasses
Some cats respond well to fresh catnip or cat grass grown especially for them. You can buy these in plastic containers from good pet shops. Outside cats can often be seen chewing grass and this helps to compensate for that and help their stomachs if they are a bit off colour.

5. Predatory hunting games for playtime
I am thinking of various feather wands or fishing poles with string attached to entertain your cat. You should probably put aside several minutes a day for this activity. This will exercise and mentally stimulate the cat, and help to re-direct  otherwise undirected predatory tendencies and any frustration. A few predatory toys are automatic and allow activation by the cat even in your absence, although I have no personal experience of them. Others on this booard will be better placed to comment on whether they generally work.  If don't want to spend much cash there's always the old milk-bottle-seal-on-a-string trick (NB: Be careful to wipe all traces of milk away as ordinary milk is not healthy for cats and they have problems digesting human milk because of the lactose). Alternatively, you copuld leave some table tennis balls around -preferably on a smooth floor.

6. Cardboard Box
Finally, the trusted old box. You could cut out holes in strategic places for puss to spy through or stick his paw through or put some bedding in so it can be a hidey-hole, placed out of the way of noise or the main human traffic, if possible.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 18:21:42 PM »
Thanks all for the advice, it makes me feel a little more positive :)

I defo don't have a problem with having a litter tray in the house, if the truth be told I would rather have Felix indoors anyway, I always worry when he goes out after what happened to Casper, but just don't know if he will feel the same way!! 

He has piles of toys, in a basket, and he goes and helps himself and brings the toys out when he wants to play, and he loves his laser pen.

Thanks also for all your good wishes, it means a lot  :Luv2:

Amy more advice would be most welcome!!!  :thanks:
Claire M x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 15:45:47 PM »
Cats do adapt to living insode our Miss Gracie aged approx 18 years was a semi feral and had lived outside for about 15 years and I trapped her 2.5 years ago and she had adapted well, likes the electric blanket, has her own chair, catnip and never short of food, we do have other ferals who have adapted to house life but still can't touch them but they interact with all the 3 and 4 footed in the house and know their routine of where they should be in the morning as we have a split lot inside only and the inside/outside crew.

Plenty toys, scratching posts, treats, a laser pen and above all you to pander to their every whim - you just have to get used to the litter tray!!! :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 13:54:39 PM »
Hi Claire,

Just a brief note for now. I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

We rescued Barney & Katie who joined our family. We know that Katie had lived semi-feral for at least 6 years (a long story ascertained from her rescue chip and the rescue). Barney had been kept outside in a garden by his previous owner for about a year, as she couldn't entertain the idea of a litter tray in the house  :censored:, His garden lay between 2 extremely busy roads in West London.

Neither like going out for more than a minute to scratch their claws. Both love being at home. Cats can adapt, and in some cases prefer it. It all depends on their history and experiences of life. Rule 1 is that you need to make the falt interesting for him. I'll return this evening with some tried and trusted tips.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 18:42:57 PM »
When Gimley and Phoenix came to use they had been living outside and rarely inside. I discovered later that when Phoenix had her kittens she had them in the garage of her previous owners  :omg:. they have both adapted really well to been indoors. for the first few weeks Phoenix sat by the window but as time went on her window sitting became less and now she likes nothing more than sitting on the her sofa hope this helps in your descion and good luck for the future

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 13:33:32 PM »
H i Claire
I am also sorry about you splitting up with your hubby, sending you lots of luck and hope you find a suitable house.xx :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »
I have to agree with the other, it really does depend on the cat.
If Felix is to become an indoor cat you need to make the indoors exciting for him with toys and climbing stuff.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »
Hi Clare sorry to hear your news, no advice just wanted to wish you luck in your house hunting  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »
Hi Claire, sorry to hear your news  :hug:

My boy Max was an outdoor cat before he came to me, he's indoor due to FIV, but he adapted remarkably well and continues to thrive 7 years on.

Just make sure you have loads of toys and things for Felix to play with, and I'm sure all will be fine.

If you can find a flat/maisonette with stairs which are just yours, even better for exercise.

Best of luck hun, keep us posted.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 18:53:39 PM »
Sorry to hear of your split Claire.  Tiggy was indoor/outdoor most of her adult life,  she was never very outdoor orientated but would sit out under a bush or just have a wander round the garden.  Circumstances meant that I moved to a flat when she was 14/15, she adapted just fine and didn't seem to miss going out in the slightest.  I then moved to a house with a garden and so she went back to pottering around the garden for 10 minutes or so.  I know she was quite a bit older than your cat but it just shows they can adapt.

Also remember the flat needn't be forever.  I know it's probably the last thing on your mind at the moment but in the future you will meet someone new and it's much easier to afford the rent/mortgage on a place with a garden with two incomes.

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 18:41:48 PM »
 He does'nt go out very much, just to the loo really, but in summer when I'm out in the garden, he is usually by my side.

He seems to disappear on his own every morning for a while, but after that he likes to snooze the day away somewhere warm and comfy  :)

He has a basket full of toys, his favourite is the laser toy, and he has used a litter tray before so no problems anticipated there!!

I'm hoping that a house may come on the market in the next week, but it looks like it may have to be a flat.

I do have a feliway diffuser, so will get a refill if needs be :)

Parting with him is something I could not bear, so any more advice would be greatly appreciated  :Luv:
Claire M x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 17:28:15 PM »
Hi Claire and welcome back. sorry to hear you are out on your own at the moment. As for your question, t really does depend on the cat. If Felix has been a cat who actively comes  and goes then he may have difficulties settling inside. If he has been a bit of a take it or leave it cat, then it should be less of a problem. If you try it then make sure you have lots of enrichment toys for him - towers, wand-toys that you use with him, balls and other such things. Also places to stalk and hide are important. And a windowsill he can sit on and admire the breeze. There are many advantages to top floor flats (like being able to open the window without worrying your cat will jump out so you still get fresh air and no neighbours clomping around in your ceiling) but access to the outdoors for your cat is the one thing it can not give you.

Try also plugging in some feliway when you first move in so Felix is feeling fairly relaxed in his new home ...

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 17:26:17 PM »
Hi Claire, sorry to hear about your marriage. It must be a really hard time and it's great that you're taking time to consider your cat-so many don't.

It varies from cat to cat. Often, as long as they have plenty to chase and enough space to explore they adapt just fine.

As far as I'm aware, Smokey was almost entirely an outdoor cat when we took him on and we only adopted him on the condition he was happy to be indoors. Suffice to say he's currently sznoozing by the radiator!

Try it out, that's about all you can do. I really hope it works out for you soon  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
Can an outdoor cat become an indoor cat?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 17:17:23 PM »
Hi everyone, been a while since I posted, wanted to ask you all about Felix, he's 6 and has been an outdoor cat all his life. My marriage has broken up and I'm looking for a new home, thing is there's nothing but flats available in my price range at the moment. They are all lovely flats in nice locations, but all are top floor, and I just don't think it would be safe to let Felix out. I'm worried in case he won't settle as an indoor cat, any advice would be most welcome  :thanks:
Claire M x

Link to CatChat