Author Topic: Just taken Max for his annual MOT ....... APRIL TESTS!!!  (Read 45875 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Just taken Max for his annual MOT
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2008, 17:28:37 PM »
Forgot to say - it's in the job description of cat slave that we worry over every little thing. 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2008, 17:28:05 PM »
 :rofl:  He's more partial to a drop of Baileys  ;)  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2008, 17:24:33 PM »
 :evillaugh:

Don't give him the Gin though  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2008, 17:23:04 PM »
Max has bottled water as well .......  I don't drink tap water so I don't make him either   :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2008, 17:21:50 PM »
The whiskas senior figures aren't on there but I got some figures from them that Helen helped me work out - from memory, they were slightly lower - around 1% phos. As Susanne says, best not to get to obsessed with it but just be aware of lower ones. Also I try to avoid processed meats as they have added phosphates  ;D - My own little thing is I am guessing that bottled water is purer so I only give them that.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2008, 17:20:38 PM »
Hi Clare
Just wanted to send  :hug: :hug: and glad you're feeling a bit better now. We wouldn't be good meowmies if we didn't worry ourselves silly over our babes. Sending headbuts to dear Max.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2008, 17:14:57 PM »
Jaffa has felix and perfect fit senior a few times a week, but the rest of the time he just has normal adult food.  I try to feed more of the ones that are lower in phosphorus and keep the higher ones for occasional treats but I dont get too obsessed about it.  He has all wet food with some added water. 

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2008, 17:07:13 PM »
 :thanks: Mark, that's really helpful.  I know Max likes Whiskas wet food as he has that as his 'junk food' in the morning and NM in the evening, so I'll take a look when I go shopping later in the week  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2008, 17:03:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you to make me feel better  :thanks:

Yup, from what the vet said the results were only just showing higher end of normal, but with the wee sample, it did point in the direction of kidney issues.    We have to do more bloods etc in 2-3 months time to see what's going on.  I am truly glad that I went on my instincs though and got him checked  :shy:

I've taken on board the thoughts on food, and what I'll probably do is switch his dry food to the renal stuff, and just check with his wet food with phospherous levels etc.  He has Natures Menu so I'll have a looky when I get home  :) 

Senior food is also a good idea, anyone have any good recommendations for wet and dry?

I just give Alice & Clapton what they fancy - as far as senior goes, they seem to prefer Whiskas (£2.50 a box in Tesco right now  ;D ) The favourite senior food is Whiskas senior fishermans but I can only get it in Sainsbury's. They won't always eat senior so I give them regular as well if they are being picky. The only wet food Willow will eat is Perfect Fit senior (I ordered it from Petplanet today) As for dry, Hill's senior seems to go down quite well. I know others buy JWB & RC but none of mine seem to like them.

There are lots of figures on Tanya's CRF site and lots of other information, including reports that reduced phos is more important than reduced protein, especially in early stages. I just saw how bad the figures are for regular hi-life  :Crazy:
http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2008, 16:55:58 PM »
Thanks hun  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2008, 16:51:06 PM »
Just read this Clare - been in a grotty meeting at work all afternoon.

:grouphug: :cuddle: :Flowers: :ahh: :lick: YOU ARE NOT OVER REACTING ........ don't you ever say that again young lady!!  :hug: :Luv2:

Thing is, we all think of the bad things and mustn't.  Easier said than done - More TLC than usual and you and Max will be ok chuck.  Lots more years ahead of you. xx

Hope your gonna get him a nice valentine's treat  :Luv2:

Mary xx
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2008, 16:19:47 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you to make me feel better  :thanks:

Yup, from what the vet said the results were only just showing higher end of normal, but with the wee sample, it did point in the direction of kidney issues.    We have to do more bloods etc in 2-3 months time to see what's going on.  I am truly glad that I went on my instincs though and got him checked  :shy:

I've taken on board the thoughts on food, and what I'll probably do is switch his dry food to the renal stuff, and just check with his wet food with phospherous levels etc.  He has Natures Menu so I'll have a looky when I get home  :) 

Senior food is also a good idea, anyone have any good recommendations for wet and dry?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2008, 16:05:42 PM »
Glad you've calmed down - I went into panic mode when I first found out but with meds and attempting to control Clapton's diet, his numbers have improved every time. He is almost within normal range. I know it won't stay like this forever but forewarned & all that - The amount of reading is mind numbing. As for the foods, after all I have read, I wouldn't feed Clapton on all renal food even if he would eat it as I have read some negative things about it. Apart from being unpalatable, some people think restricting protein isn't a good idea (the research was done with Rats). Senior food is an alternative as it has lower phos. Max must be very borderline if the vet is only suggesting diet to help  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 16:06:51 PM by Mark »

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2008, 16:04:27 PM »
Hey Clare I would be so exactly like you if I were in your shoes, I am sure this is what should happen to any doting mummy and devout slave!! :briggin:

You take such a good care of Maxy boy I am sure he will be okay, keep up the great job hun!! ;D ;) :hug:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2008, 14:55:38 PM »
dont feel foolish we all worry dont we its our job,  :hug:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2008, 14:27:15 PM »
Am calm again now  :shy: and feeling a bit foolish  :shy:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2008, 13:59:30 PM »
I know I shouldn't really worry too much, and we'll know more in due course when bloods are done again in the future....

This isn't really my rational head today, I blame pmt  :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2008, 13:53:30 PM »
Try not to worry too much.  Early stage CRF can be managed and it may not deteriorate very quickly at all.  I don't know that much about it, but I di did a bit of research when Jaffa had his blood tests (originally picked up when he had pre-op bloods before a dental).  Jaffa has never been described as having CRF by a vet but I sort of consider him 'pre-crf', if there's such a thing.  But any cat of that age will have lost kidney function, it's just a case of whether it's picked up or not.  The fact that you've picked up on this means you can deal with it while Max is fit and healthy.  It was 2 years ago when Jaffa's first blood test showed his values to be high.  They are still within the normal range.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2008, 13:48:17 PM »
Oh Gawd, I really shouldn't have started reading about CRF /kidney disease  :-[

I know that Max is only very early stages, but it does mean that it will progress one day, and its made me think about his mortality and I'm sitting here in floods  :'(

I know that in every probability we will have many more happy years together, but what with his FIV (for which there is no cure), and now this, I just feel so sad.

Sorry guys, I know I'm overreacting, but its horrible when you start to think about the fact that one day they won't be here any more.

• Super Cat
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2008, 13:09:48 PM »
Well done Clare .................Clare 2 Max 1  :evillaugh:
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »
Well done for catching it early Clare, you good slave you!!  Fingers crossed that all goes well.  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
Wow, all that information is a bit overwhelming  :shy:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
Doesn't sound overly serious, Clare, but you're right that it's best to start treating it now in order to slow down the progress of any kidney problems.  Jaffa's blood tests showed his kidney values to be towards the high end of normal, but the vet didn't advise any further tests or any treatment.  I do keep an eye on the phosphorus content of what I feed him though.  I think that is more important in early CRF than low protein.  The CRF 'bible' is a good read

http://www.felinecrf.org/

Good luck with the renal food!

edited to add - felinecrf.org isn't keen on the idea of low protein food for cats in early CRF

However, there is a lot of controversy about how useful low protein diets are for CRF cats, and when they should be introduced. Many vets recommend a low protein diet immediately; but this is not necessarily a good move. Cats need a relatively high amount of protein in their diets, compared to say, dogs or humans; and if protein is reduced too early, it can cause weight loss, raised liver enzymes, and may in some cases contribute to the development of anaemia. This is particularly true of those CRF cats who leak protein in their urine (proteinuria), leading to low protein levels in the blood.

I wouldn't advise going against your vet's advice, esp so early on (and before you even know whether Max will eat the renal food) but it's something to bear in mind, esp if he refuses to eat the food.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:29:02 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »
Hi All,

Right, just spoken to the vets, and the extra tests have showed that Max's wee is slightly dilute, and perhaps with a trace of protein as well.

They reckon this is the early signs of kidney issues (not uncommon I'm told for a cat this age?), and that we need to get him on a low protein diet.  They're putting some different types of food out for me tonight, wet and dry renal foods as Max tends to eat both, and we're to do more blood tests in 2-3 months time to see if the levels have reduced following the diet change.

This is all we need to do for now, they don't think tables are necessary yet, as its only very early stages and its been caught early.

I'm just so glad I went with my instincts to get him checked as I was sure I'd seen him drinking a bit more than usual.   I guess nobody knows their cat better than a slave :shy:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2008, 11:06:01 AM »
See Clare - you're an expert now - even giving tips to others.  :clap:
Fingers crossed for Monday Max xxxxxxx

Thanks Angie.

Mary

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
No, there was something raised in her kidneys, but the urine test showed it was a UTI rather than kidney related - or something along those lines, as it is nearly 3  years ago now. She didn't have her thyroid tested then though, vet just did basic as cos we knew she had something underlying all the time I hd her, she wanted to make sure it was just a UTI and nothing worse
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »
Did her results show anything Desley?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »
Glad to hear you won, I will remember that!! Pebbles wee was tested when she had debatable kidney values, and I Can't remember what it was tested for now, nor whether it was sent away or not.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2008, 09:46:22 AM »
Well done Clare on your patience and enthusasim to get the job done, would love to have seen Maxys face when you shoved a glass under him  :rofl:

Hope everything comes back ok on Monday

Mary thinking of you and Smudge  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:47:02 AM by bobsmum + max's (angie) »
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »
 :rofl:

I am defo forgiven, Max behaved last night and gave me lots of under-duvet cuddles as it was cold, so I guess he's put the wee issue behind him!

My friend Tessa has got to get one from Frank soon, so I've imparted all my 'useful!!!' advice about bypassing the litter, and just stick a shot glass under him  :rofl:

Got to call on Monday to see if the samples suggested anything.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2008, 00:19:25 AM »
Licia, you've given me an idea - Clare, you can count his toes and do the rhym ...... this little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed at home, this little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none, AND THIS LITTLE PIGGY WENT WEEEE, WEEEEEE, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ALL THE WAY HOME!!   :evillaugh: :Luv2: :naughty: :rofl:

Or perhaps NOT!!!!  xx

Mary

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2008, 22:49:59 PM »
I can also picture a rather disconcerting scenario Maxy squatting down on your pillow going "wee weeeeeeee, wee weeeeee, are you happy Mummy????" :scared: :scared: :scared:

Nooooooooooooooo, don't give him ideas  :rofl:

I've now banned him from reading this thread lol  :evillaugh:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2008, 22:47:29 PM »
After the indignities of this morning, it appears that I am forgiven, unless of course he is lulling me into a false sense of security and he's planning warfare tonight be waking me every hour on the hour  :rofl: :rofl:

I do hope he is not too vengeful and he would stop at that... I can also picture a rather disconcerting scenario Maxy squatting down on your pillow going "wee weeeeeeee, wee weeeeee, are you happy Mummy????" :scared: :scared: :scared:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2008, 22:38:24 PM »
Have to say it was quite refreshing to have a worry free night about pee  :rofl:  Think Maxy boy is also pleased I'm not following him around as well  :shy:

After the indignities of this morning, it appears that I am forgiven, unless of course he is lulling me into a false sense of security and he's planning warfare tonight be waking me every hour on the hour  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 22:38:48 PM by clarenmax »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2008, 21:21:15 PM »
Thanks ever so much Sue and Gill - it's been a very hard day and I'm so glad Bonnie is here to help me get through it.  It hasn't helped with it snowing as Smudge loves playing in the snow with me throwing snowballs for him.

Any way - have you had a peaceful evening Clare?  No running after Max for his pee must've been a really boring evening for you!! :rofl:

Mary

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2008, 19:58:27 PM »
Good boy Max  ;D

:hug: :hug: to Mary

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2008, 18:23:44 PM »
Glad you managed this at the finish  :hug:

Mary -  :hug: to you too, 'cos I know how that feels.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2008, 16:12:00 PM »
Well done Max :cheer: :cheer:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »
Yay - well done, Clare!!  ;D  And Max!

Happy Birthday to Smudge and a  :hug: for Mary.  Maybe Smudge will decide to come home for a birthday tea.
[/color]
Thank you - really wish he would he could have anything he wanted.

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
  :clap: :clap: :catlove:
Mission Impossible has been accomplished!!  :congrats: you too!! 

I am sure Max is relieved just as you are and feeling much lighter...

Link to CatChat