Author Topic: FEEDING GIZMO  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: FEEDING GIZMO
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 19:49:42 PM »
I dont know what would make him worse but believe that stress does not help crystals, so I would want to see him happy and eating because he has no quality of life otherwise.

Desleys advice sounds good.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 19:48:49 PM »
Chicken would be better than fish as it has less magnesium in it. Its the Mg that makes up alot of crystals, if struvite is what he has?
Its better he eats some food then none  ;D
If he really isnt enjoying the diet then you can try using supplements in his food to acidify his urine and dissolve the crystals instead. Most vets will give the diet but they dont see how unhappy the cats can get. And stress can contribute to bladder issues  :-:
Supplements:
Methogel gel
Ascobic acid (vitamin C)
It seems so silly to me to feed a cat who needs dilute urine, biscuits!

Have they xrayed him to make sure theres nothing huge in there that needs removing?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 21:06:37 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 19:44:35 PM »
Avoid fresh fish - the magnesium levels in fish are thought to make urinary issues worse. I would mix something in with it, as long as it isn't fishy, as you dont want him not to eat, that can cause health issues too.
Please spay your cat

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
FEEDING GIZMO
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 19:06:41 PM »
As you know Gizzy has struvite crystals and the vets have told me it is the crystals causing him to get aroused (yes I actually asked him)  :-[ :-[and attacking me. He seems very down today and hasnt really eaten much. I just wondered if anyone knew if it would be ok to mix a little senior cat food in to make it taste less blande are they allowed to have fresh fish

Also do you think it would be ok to give him a little cat milk? I hate seeing him look so bloody sad. I have had him out of the cage loads today and he just gets straight under my quilt

poor little man he is :'(

xx

Link to CatChat