Author Topic: What is your litter tray routein  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: What is your litter tray routein
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 20:39:24 PM »
We use Smart Cat wood pellets and have 2 trays of the paper pellets a couple of the girls seem to prefer and in the good old days for training the ferals sterilsed compost!  We find the wood pellets better than any other type and get 30litre sacks from our old branch of CP I combine a visit to my Dad and get 8 bags which last us about 2 months.

We have 18 litter trays for the 38 Clan Cats and have open and hooded trays as wells as the Bidet for our Raggie Minmin - the Clan Cats Posh Totty the only one with a pedigree!

We scoop Morning, early afternoon and evening - we do have 26 indoor/outdoor so the early afternoon is a joy as the insode troops aren't that active so its an easy job!

We recycle our litter in the garden section at the local tip as we have a septic tank and can't dlush the litter anymore but at our last house flushed everything!

We also only just cover the bottom of the tray and this helps the ones who over bury not have more pellet outside the box than in!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 20:08:14 PM »
I have 3 trays for 4 cats but only one is used, except in winter when one of the other two seems to be used occassionally.

I use Smart Cat wood pellets and find them better than any other wood pellet, get 30litre sacks from a petshop.

Scoop out every day when used.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 19:17:34 PM »
I was wondering what the most eco-friendly is. I would assume corn but with the food crisis looming, it seems almost criminal to let our cats poo on corn when people are starving  :-:

I use yesterdays news cat litter recycled news paper  you only need a thin layer in the tray only  snag is i havent found any shops that sell it so having to buy in bulk from pet planet 1 30lb bag lasts just over a month

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=165&pf_id=7217

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 17:38:17 PM »
I was wondering what the most eco-friendly is. I would assume corn but with the food crisis looming, it seems almost criminal to let our cats poo on corn when people are starving  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 17:35:56 PM »
I've got three cats and three litter trays but all the cats insist on using the same one and seem to save the other two for dire emergencies  :evillaugh:  So I change the main one at least every other day and sometimes daily, and the other two only need changing once a week, so infrequently are they used ....

Mine do that too! I have 9 trays for 10 cats (oops, not quite the 1 per + 1 but near enough LOL!) 4 of the trays are in a walk in cupboard off the kitchen, 1 in dining room, 2 in 2 different upstairs rooms, plus 2 in the garage. The most used trays are the 2 at the far end of the walk in cupboard off the kitchen - they prefer those even if they've already been used and the other 2 in the cupboard are clean - go figure!  :Dont know:

I use clumping litter to about 2-3 inches deep, in open trays, scoop poops several times a day and take out clumps several times a day too. Empty each week and wash trays with washing up liquid and hot water, spray with Milton, refill with any remaining clean litter plus top up with new. Run the trays right down once a month, dump and start again. Between the weekly wash and disnfect I wipe around the inside and lip of trays with Milton.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 17:05:24 PM »
I have 2 trays and use the wood based. I tend to change it when its gone to sawdust and clean in the inside of the tray twice a week, I give them a good disinfect weekly/2 weekly though. I have to say that my cats tend to wee in one tray and poo in the other so I swap them around to confuse them  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 16:59:22 PM »
I use the chick crumb stuff and find it better than WBCL because it isn't so dusty. It doesn't clump quite as well but for the difference in price its fine. And Digby and Riley aren't fussy at all. At their previous place they didn't have litter trays, they just had newspaper all over the floor so I guess anything is better than that!

I remove the clumps morning and night and change the trays every couple of weeks depending on how it looks. But it holds the smell really well for ages. I did get a few funny looks from the receptionist when I had two 20 kg bags of chicken feed delivered to the office though!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 15:48:24 PM »
I dont have a set time to dump the tray, it depends on usage, when its sunny some wees get done outside so the litter goes longer than the winter when it gets whiffy alot quicker.
I use ultra fine clumping clay, oko best clumping wood and a worlds best but im stopping that after this sack as lola keeps eating it  :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 14:25:02 PM »
I've just started to use Bob Martin's litter crystals 

I have tried that a couple of times (in fact I still have some bags left) when I have i cat in a pen but find that after 10 days I can smell the urine (so change it all)  and although the litter looks good when you empty it out the bottom of the tray is horrid and so heavy.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 14:12:41 PM »
mine have a favourite as well, I swap them over so they get even use and then I'm not throwing away completely clean stuff at the end of the week

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 14:09:25 PM »
I've got three cats and three litter trays but all the cats insist on using the same one and seem to save the other two for dire emergencies  :evillaugh:  So I change the main one at least every other day and sometimes daily, and the other two only need changing once a week, so infrequently are they used ....

I was reading one of Vicky Halls's books the other night and she recommends one litter tray per cat plus one extra.  I'd love to see what she made of my house, where I could probably take two trays away and all three cats would remain perfectly happy  :evillaugh:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 14:05:05 PM »
oooh thanks so much for this, i'll have a scoot around the site and see!  ;)
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 14:01:48 PM »
this is helens post

If Jess and Milo get on with WBCL and you decide to try chick crumb here's a list of stockists of the brand I use in your area... 

http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/uk/dh/stockist?national=140&commit=Search

These places deliver... Even with £5 delivery charge is still works out loads cheaper than WBCL at £36 for a 15k bag

20kg for £15 delivered http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/ALLEN_AND_PAGE_SMALL_HOLDER_POULTRY_DIETS.html

25kg for £14 delivered (out of stock at the moment though) - http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=1216

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 13:59:53 PM »
I get it from an equestrian centre but there is another thread lurking about somewhere that Helen posted a link, I'll see if I can find it

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 13:58:44 PM »
Where do you get it from?
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 13:54:09 PM »
I get 20kg bags but I know the place I get it from does 5kg as well it works out about £2 per week for all my three trays

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 13:52:57 PM »
I'd really like to try it but am unsure where to get it! I know people order it in, but is there a wholesaler or something that you might recommend? It would also need to come in not too huge bags as I don't have a huge amount of room to store things.

I wonder of our fosterers and people know about chick crumb as surel it must be cheaper than normal litter and might save the branch some pennies!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 13:48:50 PM »
have you tried chick crumb?  it holds smells and you can flush it!!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 13:48:07 PM »
Hehe!

It is a bit wierd when it goes yellow, but it does hold the smell in which is really important as I live in a one bedroomed flat and have tried really cheap litter and it was gross to just smell cat wee all the time :sick: !!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 13:41:35 PM »
I used to use newspaper and Morrison's litter which is great, but quite powdery which gets up mine (and Katie's) nose!

I've just started to use Bob Martin's litter crystals and it's great as all of the wee gets absorbed and the poo gets dried out so I just remove the poo twice a day and then mix up the litter so that it's distributed evenly again. The bag says that it should last a month without having to be changed, but we usually change it at around 2-3 weeks. Luckily Katie's not too fussy about litter, but it is quiet rough crystals and I imagine that not every cat would be ok with it, but it works for us! I really want to get onto chick crumb but have nowhere close that might have it - grrr!

I tried it with Kylie once - I don't like the way the crystals go yellow  :sick:

I think it was the first litter I tried  ;D - back in the days when Kylie cried and cowered when she did a poo expecting to be told off  >:(
I had to tell her what a good girl she was  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 13:21:50 PM »
scoop every day and change every week - fabulous chick crumb of course!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 13:16:27 PM »
Every other day....and all day every day scooping out the poop!  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
I used to use newspaper and Morrison's litter which is great, but quite powdery which gets up mine (and Katie's) nose!

I've just started to use Bob Martin's litter crystals and it's great as all of the wee gets absorbed and the poo gets dried out so I just remove the poo twice a day and then mix up the litter so that it's distributed evenly again. The bag says that it should last a month without having to be changed, but we usually change it at around 2-3 weeks. Luckily Katie's not too fussy about litter, but it is quiet rough crystals and I imagine that not every cat would be ok with it, but it works for us! I really want to get onto chick crumb but have nowhere close that might have it - grrr!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »
I scoop daily and full change every other day.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
I do 5 scoops of catsan. Remove the poo before I got to bed and change the entire litter once a week.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
I'm back to catsan as the "So called" lightweight  :Crazy: litter doesn't hold the smell so well - also Catsan doesn't stick to the bottom of the tray  :sick:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
Hi I have three cats and two large litter trays. I use wood-based cat litter in both trays, scoop out solid matter morning and evening and completely change the litter once a week and I go through one bag of cat litter a week.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »
I use paper litter, I put about an inch deep in the tray and i change it at least 3/4 a day.
I do spray and clean it out each time - I use a 30L bag a week (well just under a week)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
What is your litter tray routein
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
At the moment we use newspaper, liner, newspaper and a massive scoop of catsan given that Jess seems to be weeing more without the liner and newspaper we're going to remove it.

But we don't know who often to change the tray, I'm going to try a tray with WBCL and that clumps so I guess I'll scoop the clumps out twice a day but how often should it have a complete change,

And how much litter should we put in?

Link to CatChat