Author Topic: IAMS on BOGOF IN PAH today  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: IAMS on BOGOF IN PAH today
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 22:46:30 PM »

what about james wellbeloved and technical??

Both good food. I would also recommend trying a sample/small bag of James Wellbeloved first. I know lots of people feed it but I have bought it quite a few times and it hasn't been eaten. Technical is just the Canadian arm of Royal Canin - good quality food but not sure about ethics.

Ironically, if you order Arden Grange from VetUK at the moment, you will probably get 2 x 300g bags of kitten food free in the box as I did the other day  :evillaugh: - Oh well, they aren't making a profit from me and I can pass it on to Caroline for the foster kittens.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 22:49:01 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline faye at pawprints

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
    • pawprints animal rescue
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 22:37:13 PM »
thanks mark / liz, the vetuk price for arden grange is the same as what i have been paying for iams, and i have just checked out the rescue info with royal canin and there is a phone number to contact - i'll phone them tomorrow  :)

what about james wellbeloved and technical??

(photo is of weeny cookie - she's a lovely grown up girl now).
faye @ pawprints animal rescue
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 21:38:45 PM »
We have rescue deals with RC and Hills - of your cats like Purine and you have a CP contact it is worth the price - we get our Purine through our old CP and felix sachets and cans - well technically for our 5 CP forever feral fosters Smudger, Ragamuffin, McKenzie, Gypsy and Pagan
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 20:48:19 PM »
This is the list of 'Premier League' foods. http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

Arden Grange is pretty reasonable - I am sure it is cheaper than Iams - especially if you order through VetUK or similar.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/arden-grange-pet-food-arden-grange-cat-food-c-62_334_338/arden-grange-cat-food-chicken-and-rice-p-1885 (7.5kg bag is £10 cheaper than buying direct  :Crazy: )

I know some places have special prices for rescues (and annoyingly also for breeders  :tired: ) I remember Diddydawn used to buy huge sacks of Royal Canin for a good price - not sure if it was bought direct from them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 20:54:15 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 20:36:28 PM »
Arden Grange is good but I would recommend trying a small bag first as not all cats will eat it. I think Pero is the ultimate as they only use organic chicken and are AFAIK, the only pet food company approved by BUAV - there could be others though.

I have to admit to buying Hills & Royal Canin - some say they are no angels either but I have yet to see evidence.

thanks for the info, i haven't seen pero around here. i've just looked on their website, the cost would be higher with 22 puds to feed / fundraise for, will look out for it though. iams is defo off the shopping list  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 20:22:38 PM »
Arden Grange is good but I would recommend trying a small bag first as not all cats will eat it. I think Pero is the ultimate as they only use organic chicken and are AFAIK, the only pet food company approved by BUAV - there could be others though.

I have to admit to buying Hills & Royal Canin - some say they are no angels either but I have yet to see evidence.

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • lovely big edward
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 20:00:07 PM »
i feel awful, i buy iams for the puddies :'(

what is the most animal 'friendly' food to change to?

faye and the furries x
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 20:00:37 PM by faye at pawprints »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 18:08:38 PM »
I know what you mean - I ordered a bag of Eukanuba (also owned by IAMS) renal when Clapton was dying and had all but given up eating and I was desperate  :'( . I want to try some more Pero as they are BUAV approved and use organic chicken.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 17:09:37 PM »
Sadly I am a guilty IAMS feeder - with reluctance and only for one cat.  It was the last wet food I tried Sky on and is the only 1 she can eat and tolerate. :( Never wanted to do it but .......

Didn't realise which companies owned the other food that I feed.

Seems virtually impossible to avoid an animal testing company sadly.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 19:04:35 PM »
I don't buy it myself either but thought I'd let people know, you never know, someone might feed it...................

I understand but still think people need the facts when buying things. I take PETA with a large pinch of salt but if Uncaged say something I take it seriously.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 18:06:18 PM »
I don't buy it myself either but thought I'd let people know, you never know, someone might feed it...................

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 17:21:06 PM »
Years ago I used to buy it thinking it was good food. Willow used to throw up a lot and it permanently stained the carpet. As soon as I changed her diet - about 6 years ago*, the vomiting got better but even if she did throw up, it didn't stain.

Hardly any vets sell it now - Dogs Trust and the RSPCA broke ties with them. I know a rescue woman in Islington who told her vet she would change vets if they didn't stop stocking it - they stopped. It is a large vet and they stocked other brands anyway.

*When I became aware of animal testing etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 17:24:18 PM by Mark »

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 17:12:50 PM »
I will not touch IAMs with a bargepole. Even if it was free. It caused havoc with my ragdolls tummys plus what I have heard about them through the links people on purrs about animal cruelty.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 17:01:59 PM »
For anyone thinking of buying it, please look at this http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm If you google IAMS, there are plenty of other sites like it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 17:05:24 PM by Mark »

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
IAMS on BOGOF IN PAH today
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
I think it's today only but IAMS is on special, dry and pouches.

Link to CatChat