Author Topic: Where Can I buy A Strong Cat Carrier?  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Where Can I buy A Strong Cat Carrier?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 22:01:54 PM »
If they are the same as I saw in the local Red Cross the other day, they are big enough for a jack Russell!  :evillaugh: - The one they had must be ancient as parts of the plastic had come away and the metal underneath had gone rusty - that does happen slowly over time but as long as they aren't bashed around they should last forever. Mine belongs to the branch and is about 3 years old - it has 2 tiny patches of rust but probably due to the fact that I put it in the garden and forgot about it. I just brought it in to clean it up for Lazarus tomorrow  :)

Might be worth asking your vet as Sharon gets ours through one of our vets and pays the same price but no delivery charge.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 20:41:11 PM »
Thanks for that link Mark cos it has the dome one where the door is all of one end and hope it measures the same as the one I have cos its the only way to catch Sasa and big enough for big Misa.  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 20:06:15 PM »
These coated metal ones are excellent http://www.metalcote.co.uk/products.html 

Yes, those are the only type I'll use. They certainly do last forever - one of mine is 30+ yrs old and still going strong, the other one was mums, and that must be 20 yrs old at least! I've collected a few more since I've been fostering as we get them donated from time to time.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 20:56:56 PM »
Have a look as zooplus ... they have lots of pet carriers.  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=pet+carrier&submit=search+%3E
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 20:27:10 PM »
I have this one and it seems very sturdy, opens at either the top or the front:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=327&pf_id=52107
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 18:25:52 PM »
I keep meaning to see if mine will fit in the dishwasher  :evillaugh:

The only potential snag is hey can be quite heavy. My Kylie is also around the 7kg mark, so the carrier is quite heavy fully loaded  :shy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 18:08:52 PM »
The only ones I use are the top loading plastic coated wire ones- seen too many cats break out of the plastic ones. When with CP these were the only ones we used as well to transport cats.

Got mine from the vets and still as good as new ( takes my 7.3kg boy ok). Know CP used to sell them and also you can get them from E-bay (from the shop sellers - is that the right term) so brand new not the 2nd hand ones.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
These coated metal ones are excellent http://www.metalcote.co.uk/products.html (I'm sure this is the make I have although there is no name on it) They aren't expensive but last for years. Mine actually belongs to the CP branch I volunteer for. I have had mine for a few years now and it is like new. Another bonus is it is much easier to get a cat into a top-opening basket.

I gave up on plastic ones when a stray escaped from one when I was taking it to the vet. It was so determined, it managed to smash its way through the door.  :scared: - we spent days looking but had no luck  :( about a year later, someone in the same area reported a stray and I am sure it was the same one.

Here is the ordering link (I have a red one) https://www.secure-server-hosting.com/secutran/shopform/buy.php?shref=sh210306&shcc=854180

We ordered ours through one of the vets so didn't have to pay delivery - might be worth asking your vet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 13:00:11 PM by Mark »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
have you checked the Zooplus site (link at bottom of the page)?

sounds as if you need a small dog carrier rather than the plastic cat ones
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Rain

• Kitten
  • Neil
Where Can I buy A Strong Cat Carrier?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
I don't know if I'm putiing this in the right place but I'm hoping someone can tell me where online to purchase a really strong cat carrier. The kind I have in mind is a white wire mesh one with a long pin going through the top. I had one years ago and it really did the job. At present we have a plastic 'house' type of one and Neil can easily force himself through the corners of the door so we have to secure it with fasteners. I saw a white wire one on a well known website but the reviews said it was very wobbily. I'm looking for something really strong, ridgid and Neil-proof!

Link to CatChat