Author Topic: While we're talking about wet food..............  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: While we're talking about wet food..............
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 11:37:25 AM »
Ellen, I am rather confused that you have been told no red meat with CRF, not only is it not something I have been told, but RC make renal food that is beef flavour!! My vet did advise me against certain fishes, but I ignore him and give them to her anyway. Mine used to eat Hilife, but unfortunately Molly's cancer means she can only eat certain foods now, Zi's picky with wet and Buster also has tummy issues. They are all currently enjoying Classic - might not be high in meat, but good for their gums.
Please spay your cat

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 17:30:01 PM »
Hi Life is pretty good, I'm not one the resident nutritional experts but it's quite highly rated round here! My lot love it as well which is half the battle :evillaugh:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 16:45:13 PM »
Apologies if I'm hijacking this thread or if this has already been answered somewhere else..... I've just been to PAH in search of some other wet food (instead of Whiskas/Felix etc) I've bought some Hi Life to try on my 2 puds - its says minimum of 60% fish/meat. Any good? Or have I wasted my pennies?  :Crazy:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 21:56:25 PM »
It is just that she could have more variety as able to get Turkey, Plaice and Herring which she is allowed instead of just chicken which she has been eating for 19 months now :( as that is the only flavour I can get singularly near me.

Yep I feel horrible to her and her treat is normally cooked chicken  :rofl:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 21:47:53 PM »
Whiskas isn't high quality protein! It's just the Simply is grain free. Bozita though could be a good option but I don't have experience with renal problems, there are plenty who do though!

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 21:40:37 PM »
Ok people are partly swaying me here but am going to check what whiskas actually has in and see if it is worth trying my oldie with renal problems on it as was told high quality protein but no red meat.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 21:22:16 PM »
 :thanks:

They quite often get bits of my meals but you have reminded me I must pick up some chicken wings and see how they go down with Little Miss, I have a feeling she'll demolish them!

I really don't know what it is about the Bozita, I mush up the cubes because Dave just licks the jelly off otherwise. It may be that when I was trying her on it she was still on a poor diet or scavenging and she just didn't know what to do with it. She's a dustbin otherwise :evillaugh:

If you could send me a pack that would be great, it might be a different story with the pate :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: I'll PM you now.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 21:05:53 PM »
 :hug: Freezer space is usually a pre-requisite to raw! A raw meal doesn't need to be balanced if it's only a cheap supplement to a commercial diet tho. I don't know if you eat meat, but I have shared a whole chicken with Noah (over a few days obviously  :shocked: ) when it's been on offer. He had the meaty carcass, wings and the mini breast fillets and I had the legs and rest of the breast meat. It worked out very economical as most of what he had would only have been used for stock. As you are feeding three you'd get through the chicken pretty quickly so it wouldn't clog up your fridge?

I don't have Bozita cans but I do have the pate tetrapacks, and will happily post you one if you would like to try it out? Might take me a week or so to get to the Post Office as I have a couple of busy weeks, but if you think it would be useful PM me your address. I think I have four flavours in - turkey, reindeer and two fishy ones.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 16:57:41 PM »
I would love to do raw but only have a freezer compartment and that's got my frozen veg in it :evillaugh: I would also like to have more time to really look into it and as I'm supposed to be doing homework in my spare time :shify: I can't give it the full attention I'd like.

Something I found out about Feline Fayre (which due to someone getting the runs from the Whiskas last night, I have had to go out and buy as I can't wait for a Zooplus order, next month though) is that the blue packets etc are complimentary and the black packaging is complete. So I got a mix of both and will alternate. I was perusing their website for stockists and that's where the info was.

Next month (tight budget, can't buy loads at once) I would like to give the Bozita cans a try as they're great value by the looks of it and may go down better than the tetra packs.

I keep an eye out on Pets at Home too but it's a bit of a trek so not somewhere I can pop into, I have to remember to check the website and then have enough money to get the free delivery :evillaugh:

Chilli and Dave have tried a lot of stuff and rarely turn their noses up at anything but the Whiskas Simply is a total no go! Will have to find someone who wants a box and a box minus three pouches :tired:

I may have also got them some sardines in tomato sauce for a little treat ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 15:41:16 PM »
Thanks to Paddypaws, I discovered that Noah prefers Bozita pate cartons to the chunks in jelly. I purchased the last lot from K9 Capers who offer 10% off your first purchase if you register for their e-mail newsletter and cancel the next day  :evillaugh: I think it was Mark who said the Toplife tetrapacks (Asda) are basically the same,

The Pets at Home Purely is reasonable value if you only buy the 160g tins (not pouches) when they are on a 5 for £2 offer. We sometimes have Feline Fayre (large tins 30p at B&M/ Home Bargains) which is complementary so I tend to feed one tin of that to two cartons of Bozita which cuts costs without quality.

Lastly there is raw - I guess you don't want to go that route full-time ... Value/ SP frozen chicken portions are only £1.40 for a kilo and can be used to supplement a branded cat food diet with no messy preparation. If you grab a small pack of chopped heart you'd have extra protein plus essential taurine without busting the bank. Noah also enjoys a free-range egg mixed with cat milk when my eggs are getting short dated!  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 14:03:42 PM »
I can't see a Zoolplus link on my page anywhere....
Anyway, the Quidco money goes into my Paypal account....which comes in very handy when I want to donate online to any cat charities I visit...so I guess it gets there in the end!
I have also shopped many times a t Zooplus, but only just signed up for the newsletter and got several different vouchers as a result.
I also re-discovered the 'My Zooplus' account which gives you bonus points for all purchases which can be redeemed for various cat toys, beds and snacks including Thrive which is everyone's favourite here.  :Crazy:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
I alternate between the link at the bottom of Purrs (so the rescues get a little) and Quidco because sometimes it going back in my own pocket is good!

I've ordered from Zooplus many times so have used all my introductory offers long ago!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
We have a link to Zooplus at the bottom of all out pages

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »
Bozita tins are higher meat content and cheaper than the cartons....pretty popular with my gang. Zooplus also sell Smilla which is a similar quality product but even cheaper with 6 x 400g tins for £4.99. Remember to go through Quidco for 5% cash back...every little helps. Also if you sign up for the Zooplus newsletter they send you a 10% off voucher.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:25:11 PM by paddypaws101 »

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 22:58:09 PM »
Tesco had two for I think it was £6 on the Simply, so I'm sort of stuck with two boxes of the stuff but that's the only wet we have in for now!

Good idea about the Bozita tins, just had a look and they are a really good price so I'll give them a bash.

My Co-op is rubbish, well, they're still Scotmid up here but the selection is very limited at my local one, I hate having to do any shopping there, it seems they try too hard to have a wide variety of certain things that everything else suffers for it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 22:54:05 PM »
There is an offer on at Tescoes too mark just cant remeber what it is lol..................tescoes have moved all the shelves and now having probs gettint the fish pate and turkey pate and had to travel an exdtra 20 miles at begiining of week.

Co-op sell the tins 10p plus higher than tesco they are hideously expensive

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 22:39:39 PM »
Have you tried the Bozita tins? they are different to the cartons but still high meat, no cereals etc, good value. If one of them didnt like the cartons then maybe like the tins?

I would suggest Co-op gourmet own brand (in the black boxes/trays) as they are also cereal free, very meaty - but suppose not particularly cheap.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 21:49:32 PM »

Today I am having to buy gourmet at 37p a tin

It is 4 for £1.50 in the co-op at the moment. Our small branch only has fish pate flavour though.

I wish I could find Whiskas supermeat tuna as Alice loves it. She won't eat the chicken or rabbit though  :tired:

Aldi own brand wet seems to be going down quite well. I have been giving Kylie the senior pouches and she loves them (about £3.20 a box) also their large cans seem to go down well and they are only 42p
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 21:52:14 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 21:39:42 PM »
Purely is still quite expensive, as a student who suddenly has a third cat to feed it makes a huge impact on my cat food buying decisions. In fact, all food decisions, including my own! :evillaugh:

I think I will go back to Feline Fayre, or at least try as Little Miss has only had it once or twice or who knows if she'll eat it :shify: But it's easy for me to get my hands on and it's really good value.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 21:36:27 PM »
Mine will not touch whiskers either but have had felix in njelly for nearly 5 years but they will not touch it anymore, they didnt like any of the posher felix and ate purely for two meals and then wouldnt eat that either.

I found a receipt yesterday for tesco and a box of 12 packs cost £2.20!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I am having to buy gourmet at 37p a tin grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............one meal; for two cats cos they have biscuits too.

Offline princessmaizie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 21:27:56 PM »
Maizie loves the hi life 'potty about' range (chicken and fish) before that she had the PAH Purely range. The Purely stuff was about 50% meat/fish and was a kind off pate consistency.

Maizie won't eat any of the whiskas or Felix brands fussy little madam that she is!!  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 19:51:54 PM »
None of mine will touch simply. Whiskas supermeat is cereal-free. Surprisingly, Tesco own single-serve foil trays @ 17p each are as well. My hedgehog loves it and has 2 trays every night (the chicken & ham one)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 19:43:22 PM »
I would ideally like to feed them something of better quality. I went for Simply because I'm sure someone said it was cereal free? So I felt a bit better about it!

I'm just having a look at Feline Porta 21 on Zooplus, it seems pretty good and a good price but I'm terrified they won't like it! I'm not enjoying having suddenly fussy cats!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 19:35:23 PM »
What about good old felix?

Although have to say Memphis (who will eat anything even if it makes him sick) doesn't really like Whiskas.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
While we're talking about wet food..............
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 19:20:28 PM »
Well, it would seem I feed my lot far too well because I got some emergency Whiskas Simply and the lot of them have turned their noses up :tired: You try to give them junk food and they won't blooming eat it! Even the stray is a bloomin' snob now! :evillaugh:

So what do you recommend? They love Nature's Menu but with three mouths now it's a bit pricey. Little Miss doesn't like Bozita, or at least she didn't when she first arrived. Should I go back to Animonda Carny again?

HELP! Never had this problem before!

Link to CatChat