Author Topic: Good quality wet food in Gravy?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Good quality wet food in Gravy?
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 23:34:40 PM »
I am searching too, Jamesonsmum.  In the meantime, I am having great success mixing warmed water (20 seconds in the microwave) with Natures Menu.  Blip adores it and it, as it is pretty much all meat to begin with, it makes a sort of casserole  ;)

Christine, you might be our saving grace!

I have been mixing his gravy pouches with room temperature water and he'll drink that, but when I mixed his Hi Life Jelly food with water he wouldn't go near them. I remembered something being mentioned here about warming water 20 sec in micro (your splendid advice) and thought I'd try it. Lo and behold - it worked!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him drink the ''warm-water-jelly''  - especially cos it was the tuna variety that he didn't even touch in the past.

I'm not getting too excited just yet cos I have to try it out a few more times to trust that he really will drink it.... watch this space...
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 14:54:45 PM »
You can either feed with dry food, or just as one meal a day - I used to feed HiLife pouches with a decent amount of dry food. Mine are fussy with the Feline Fayre tuna rather than the HiLife tuna though
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 14:52:13 PM »
I was about to buy a few packets of Feline Fayre but realised they're not complete. To make the meal complete what do I need to add - extra biscuits, or other wet food?

If you feed your cat wet food with 4% meat content, is it advisable to include meat ''on the side'' (like chicken, fish etc) on occassions to make up for the low meat content?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 13:27:02 PM »
None of the Feline Fayre products I have bought have been complete. Whiskas Oh So do some flavours in gravy, they are about 14%, so not the best, but better than normal Whiskas.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 13:15:10 PM »
Most pouches I find in the supermarket (Felix, Whiskas etc) have only 4% meat content. Is that complete nutrition for cats or is it really important to go for ones with higher meat content (40% upwards)?

They're complete nutrition in that they satisfy the minimum requirements for protein, vitamins etc.  but that doesn't mean they're ideal for a cat.  As carnivores, cats are best getting their protein from meat rather than from cheap fillers like corn.  Of course, some cats will live a long and healthy life eating nothing but whiskas et al, but it's probably not the ideal food for a cat.  Imo, it's better to feed something with a higher meat content and without any artificial colours etc. if your cat will eat them.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 13:06:45 PM »
I know Lynn says she knew someone who had a perfectly healthy 18 year old cat who only ever ate Whiskas.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 13:05:21 PM »
Most pouches I find in the supermarket (Felix, Whiskas etc) have only 4% meat content. Is that complete nutrition for cats or is it really important to go for ones with higher meat content (40% upwards)?

My friend feeds her persian Hills Science bisquits and Whiskas Steamed pouches and reckons that is perfect nutrition for her kitty.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 22:26:31 PM »
but loves a drop of warter with her Felix as good as it looks try one of those  ;)
It depends on the jelly content to meat and the cut of meat i find, If it has chunks of meat dont seem to go down so well with warter as flakes of meat they can slurp with warter
What is the meat content in Felix As Good As It Looks? And does it come in gravy?

There is a gravy type but most cats that I know of haven't enjoyed it. The Jelly type are nicer. But still only 4%.

Feline Fayre pouches are complete and they have a a lot of moisture.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 21:48:13 PM »
Does NM pouches come in gravy?

Nope they're a sort of pate type.  I have a feeling that As good as it looks is still only about 4% meat. 

How about a solar fountain water feature for outdoor use if he might like running water - as the name suggests they only actually pump round when it's sunny though!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 21:13:26 PM »
but loves a drop of warter with her Felix as good as it looks try one of those  ;)
It depends on the jelly content to meat and the cut of meat i find, If it has chunks of meat dont seem to go down so well with warter as flakes of meat they can slurp with warter
What is the meat content in Felix As Good As It Looks? And does it come in gravy?

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 20:13:55 PM »
I have a feeling this has been discussed recently, but for some reason I have no success using the Search button!

To cut a long story short, Jameson doesn't like drinking water from his bowl, but loves it when we mix it with his wet food. We used to buy pouches in gravy (4% meat) for Jameson, but we are now buying the Hi Life Essentials that comes in Jelly. This is a problem because mixing the jelly with water only makes him refuse to go near it. Sigh. (if we don't mix it with water he'll happily scoff the whole bowl)

Which brands do good quality wetfood in gravy? Any recommendations?

(I'm contemplating buying a pet fountain too... as I've noticed he once drank from the tap, and is completely fascionated with running water. The problem would be spending all that money incase he wont touch it. Also can you use pet fountains outdoors?)

Mary wouldn't touch the the high life i got her when i put warter in it

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 19:54:17 PM »
I am searching too, Jamesonsmum.  In the meantime, I am having great success mixing warmed water (20 seconds in the microwave) with Natures Menu.  Blip adores it and it, as it is pretty much all meat to begin with, it makes a sort of casserole  ;)
That is what I've been doing aswell, with boiled-then-cooled water. I didn't realise it should be warm? I will try that. He turns his nose up on his food when I mix the jelly with water. He adores his ''casserole'' stew made out of Lidl's Opticat pouches, they are very gravy-ey.

Does NM pouches come in gravy?

When I made lamb mince the other week, I poured some of the juice aside in a dish, let it cool slightly and then mixed it with water. He drank and drank and drank.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 19:24:18 PM »
warmed water (20 seconds in the microwave)

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Not much help if I dont specify the volume, is it?  :doh:

About 75ml or three fluid ozs
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 19:18:05 PM »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 17:34:02 PM »
As he eats mainly wet food, he wont need to drink as much. Zia will drink out of a bowl next to her food, but the others are a bit fussy. The Range are doing an offer on WAter fountains at the moment though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 16:12:15 PM »
I must be so lucky as Katie loves drinking from her bowl and I can hear her slurping away in the next room  :shy:

Going from your other post, that will be because she eats mainly dry food  ;) as you increase her wet food she wont need to drink as much  ;D

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 15:50:43 PM »
Both Riley and Digby love their water fountains - they have the deluxe one upstairs and the regular one downstairs. They drink from it but also sit watching it and playing with it a fair bit. This weekend I also filled up a big mixing bowl with water and put a ping pong ball in. They weren't bothered with the ball but liked putting their paws in and licking the water off. Maybe you could try a bigger bowl.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 15:44:47 PM »
I must be so lucky as Katie loves drinking from her bowl and I can hear her slurping away in the next room  :shy:

She will also drink from my water by the side of my bed, but is generally good at drinking. I didn't realise that there were cats who didn't - yet another cat foible!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 14:08:10 PM »
As for wet food I just saw a thread started about it, didn't copy it, sorry, but if you look at all unread topics you'll see it.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 14:05:11 PM »
Try to keep his water bowl away from his food. LExy drinks from hers in my bedroom but food is all in kitchen. She won't touch water if its by her food.
That is really interesting. Because he loves going into the bathroom when the taps are running and will sit and stare at it for ages. He also loves old flower pot  and puddle rain water. I don't get him. Maybe it's worth trying moving his water bowl next to the bath. I will attempt it!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 14:06:46 PM by jamesonsmum »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 14:01:46 PM »
I believe that you can only use the pet fountains indoors. Due to electricity. I don't know of any that are for dual indoor/outdoor use.

Also, you might want to try the fountain if he's not afraid of new things.

Try to keep his water bowl away from his food. LExy drinks from hers in my bedroom but food is all in kitchen. She won't touch water if its by her food.

I tend to drop a bit of water in her wet food to make sure she gets more liquid in her, but she's on a medicated diet so I don't want to water it down too much.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Good quality wet food in Gravy?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 13:59:03 PM »
I have a feeling this has been discussed recently, but for some reason I have no success using the Search button!

To cut a long story short, Jameson doesn't like drinking water from his bowl, but loves it when we mix it with his wet food. We used to buy pouches in gravy (4% meat) for Jameson, but we are now buying the Hi Life Essentials that comes in Jelly. This is a problem because mixing the jelly with water only makes him refuse to go near it. Sigh. (if we don't mix it with water he'll happily scoff the whole bowl)

Which brands do good quality wetfood in gravy? Any recommendations?

(I'm contemplating buying a pet fountain too... as I've noticed he once drank from the tap, and is completely fascionated with running water. The problem would be spending all that money incase he wont touch it. Also can you use pet fountains outdoors?)

Link to CatChat