Author Topic: Covered litter trays  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Covered litter trays
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 19:42:13 PM »
If Ginny isnt using a covered tray at the moment start her off without a door and an open one til she gets the hang of it, i dont blame them for not wanting to be in a small space full of gas  :evillaugh:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 18:07:16 PM »
Dave climbed into the toilet yesterday straight after I'd been :sick: That's even with me doing no redressing first but turning straight round to close the lid  :evillaugh: His obsession gets worse every day!

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 16:10:47 PM »
Yes Beth.. why do they follow us to the toilet????

When I have a *** Inka has one too in the hooded tray.

Why do they try to sit on the seat while you are on???

Why do they look down the pan when you get off???

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 00:08:21 AM »
No problems with the hoods here either, the boys hadn't used a hooded one until they came to me and they took to using them just fine. I left the lid off one and the flap off the other and built up to lids on both and flaps on both in a few days, just to make sure there were no accidents through confusion about what they were!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 23:53:10 PM »
Mine have hooded trays and all use them OK. I used to take the flap off but now PAH do them without a flap for £12, I get those. I got a slall one with a flap in there for £9 the other day.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 23:06:45 PM »
Mine have hooded trays and they love em! In fact they choose to come in from the garden to use em!  >:( I'm sure I would prefer them to use the outside world in the daytime but they like to use their own little private toilet cubicles!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 20:11:06 PM »
my two loved covered trays... Indy won't go in an open one if you pay him good money

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/19588 this is the type I have... 3... one in hallway, one on landing and one in bedroom

I have the same tray as that except it's the jumbo one rather than the corner one.

Me three, that's the one I have, it's good and deep so even when Dave digs to Africa there's very rarely a pee patty on the bottom, as long as there's enough litter.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 20:04:23 PM »
my two loved covered trays... Indy won't go in an open one if you pay him good money

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box/19588 this is the type I have... 3... one in hallway, one on landing and one in bedroom

I have the same tray as that except it's the jumbo one rather than the corner one.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 20:02:48 PM »

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 19:08:55 PM »
Amber prefers a covered tray. Mogs is an exhibitionist but Amber likes her privacy.....odd that she doesnt respect mine  :evillaugh:

Oh no, don't tell me cats follow you to the loo too :shocked: it'd going to get crowded in the bathroom, what with small dog, small boy, and small kitty all keeping me company! :rofl:

:rofl: ours are the same, they like to be there & rolo like to jump on knee  :shocked:  now Flora has copied his habit.

Mine have covered liter box, heads always out.
If it wasnt covered the floor would be in a mess all the time.
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 19:00:31 PM »
All my litter trays are covered and none of them mind, although I took the flap doors off as soon as I got them

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 18:44:00 PM »
Oh no, don't tell me cats follow you to the loo too :shocked: it'd going to get crowded in the bathroom, what with small dog, small boy, and small kitty all keeping me company! :rofl:

Oh yes.  They like to make sure we do it right!  I never bother to close the bathroom door.  I hasten to add that it's just me and the boys here - if I have visitors I do shut the door  ;D  I always remember my sister visiting years ago and going to the loo.  After a couple of minutes there was a shriek and the words "Jaffa's sniffing my bottom" from the bathroom  :rofl:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 18:30:58 PM »
Amber prefers a covered tray. Mogs is an exhibitionist but Amber likes her privacy.....odd that she doesnt respect mine  :evillaugh:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 18:10:16 PM »

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 17:57:04 PM »
That's good to know, thanks you all. :) I think i'll give it a try and then if we have any problems i can always take the door/roof off.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 17:52:59 PM »
My cat that lives with my Mum, Dizzy has used one in the past and Chilli was fine with it and Dave is fine with it.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 17:48:02 PM »
Mine use a covered tray no problem.  While it's true that some cats don't like them (and if a cat is having litter box problems its something to consider) many are fine with them.  Jaffa and Mosi are both fine with a covered box with a flap on the door.  Jaffa's brother Magpie (bridge baby) was fine with a covered tray too.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 17:38:30 PM »
Mine are fine with them the doors too and they come from a open tray household as kittens to here

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
Covered litter trays
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 17:36:02 PM »
I was all set to get one of these for Ginny, but read a link on another post today saying that many cats don't like them. I have to have the litter tray in my bedroom, else the small mutt (who can squeeze through the gaps in the bannister to get upstairs :innocent:) will sneak in at any opportunity to get "litter tray crunchies" :evillaugh: so the idea of getting the covered tray was partly to stop any whiffs, but also to deter small dog.

So, are they a complete no-go? Does anyone use them successfully? I will need to have a chat with her fosterer to see what she reccomends for Ginny, as obviously she knows her well, but i don't want to keep bothering her. :shy:

Link to CatChat