Author Topic: Feeding advice- Am I being a meany?!?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Feeding advice- Am I being a meany?!?
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »
Blip has a pouch of wet food in the morning and another in the evening.  I'm currently feeding Animonda Rafine, Porta 21 and Gourmet Perle.

On Saturdays and Sundays she has an extra tin of Applaws midday. We leave dry food down (Orijen and Royal Canin mixed with a bit of Nutrifyba) but she doesn't usually eat much of it.  She's very active and she weighs 4.8kg.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 19:45:03 PM »
At least yours eat what they catch, Chilli just tortures them then leaves them for dead mostly. Although in saying that, there aren't nearly as many caracasses about as the amount she catches  :sick:

She'd make a good ship's cat would Chilli. Maybe that's where she is, run away with the Navy  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 19:41:33 PM »
I know now theres a very good chance his daddy was a feral  :Luv:
We backed onto lovely ground - really overgrown, paddocks barns and chickens, perfect territory. My colony live there now, moved in after we moved Taffy with us  :evillaugh:
No rats left anymore, all rodents have been annihilated  :scared:

Who needs dry food when theres plenty of what god made  :sick:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 19:32:14 PM »
Aww - Jameson absolutely thrives outdoors, it's not until recently I've tried making a real effort keeping him indoors at night. When it's good weather/in summertime he will not come in at night - he'll sleep under the neighbours garden bench, curled up on an old rug with his girlfriend, a tiny tabby girl, or on top of our shed roof. He goes crazy if we lock the flap as he prefers to do his biz outside - even in pouring rain - so we are now leaving it open 24/7.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 19:28:29 PM »
He lived life like a feral would - hunting, sleeping in hay stacks, a real outdoor boy but with the benefit of a house when it was needed eg snowing  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 19:27:57 PM »
When i was normal and just had 1 cat he had 2 wet meals aday and biscuits in the day if he wanted but he normally ate rats  :evillaugh:
This sounds like Jamesons diet.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 19:17:12 PM »
When i was normal and just had 1 cat he had 2 wet meals aday and biscuits in the day if he wanted but he normally ate rats  :evillaugh:

:sick:

Forgot to say, re quantity wise, Jaffa has 3 pouches of wet food a day and Mosi has 3 half pouches plus about 20g dry food each day.  They're both average sized cats (both come in at just under 5kg) and maintain their weight nicely on that amount.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 19:12:10 PM »
I feed mainly wet over 4 small meals aday, i dont free feed dry as 1) my lot are pigs and would be grossly overweight and 2) im with susanne on that its not an ideal food for cats.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
My girls probably get less food than that, but they are seniors that do hardly anything but sleep, and they dont even have to move that much for food - Molly gets fed on teh bed, Zi on the floor, and they dont have to leave my room for anything (their not big outdoor fans, especially not at this time of year). If they aren't underweight, then I wouldnt overly worry.

ah, same with my 2 oldies I sometimes take food to Schui to the settee on a tray and feed him if he's not eating enough (he does love that  :Luv2:

I think if your cats seem happy with what you give them fine.  I give mine what they like really they have both dry and wet out most of the time (but I am in alot so soft the food isn't going stale) but they don't often eat dry, neither have teeth and like very soft food.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 00:55:48 AM »
Mine get half a pouch in the morning and half at night with biscuits out 24/7............mind you they are all grazers so the wet food lasts all day too and I seem to throw at least half of it away, sometimes more and the big cats are still enormous ........sigh.

They get felix pouches but dry food of a good quality.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 00:19:00 AM »
You think you're mean, you want to come round to mine for a dose of the guilt trip Dave gives me! He gets dry in the morning and wet in the evening. I feel like I feed him a little too much but he is a feline dustbin. If I left food out all day he would eat all day, continuously, barely pausing for breath, I've never seen anything like it. He is constantly on the mooch for something to eat, nothing is sacred, not even when I'm sitting with a bit of chocolate, he'll have a sniff then give me filthy because it's not something he can eat.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 22:26:35 PM »
My girls probably get less food than that, but they are seniors that do hardly anything but sleep, and they dont even have to move that much for food - Molly gets fed on teh bed, Zi on the floor, and they dont have to leave my room for anything (their not big outdoor fans, especially not at this time of year). If they aren't underweight, then I wouldnt overly worry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 21:59:52 PM »
I feed wet, either raw homemade, whiskas supermeat, natures harvest, forthglade, morning and evening. Only feed dry as late night snack or occasional treat.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 21:50:45 PM »
Whatever works, and as long as your puddys are fine with it!

I feed Jameson a pouch in morning and a pouch in the evening (usually Whiskas Oh So in morning, then a high meat content in evening like Hi Life Essentials) and I always leave dry food out 24/7.

Jameson loves his wet food and I prefer giving him more wet than not due to the moisture intake. He hardly drinks water (well not infront of me anyway) so I always mix in some warmed water too. (for his breakfast)

Offline heather-kitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 21:41:50 PM »
Yes, you're wicked and all your cats should come and live with me... especially Tootie  :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 21:26:59 PM »
I feed only wet to one of my cats and about 2/3 wet 1/3 dry to my other cat.  But that's because I believe dry food to be the work of the devil  :evillaugh:  But that's just my opinion.  It is convenient and cheap, hence my feeding a small amount.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 21:24:23 PM »
Yes, you're wicked and all your cats should come and live with me... especially Tootie  :evillaugh:

I feed the equivalent of a pouch each (I use Bozita cartons) for breakfast and the same for dinner, they then have a bowl of dry available 24/7.  I don't think your regime is mean, you do what works for you and your cats.  I think a 50/50 balance between wet and dry is the ideal in my opinion, the cats get some variation and whether they see the wet or the dry element as the 'treat' they get it.

Offline heather-kitty

• Adult Cat
Feeding advice- Am I being a meany?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 21:17:44 PM »
All four of my cats have free access to a bowl of dry food all day and the rest of their diet consists of pouches, normally whiskas or felix. They only get their pouches once a day in the morning and they have 2 pouches shared between the four of them. They have been fed this way for years and seem fine, but I just wanted to ask if I'm being a bit mean only giving them this much wet food???  :-[ What kind of balance between wet and dry food do you all feed?
Thanks

Heather

Link to CatChat