Author Topic: Grooming tips??  (Read 1095 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Grooming tips??
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 21:18:41 PM »
Oh thanks for that - I have seen one of those before which makes me think I have asked on here before lol - so I am officially losing my mind! I have a slicker brusd and metal comb - he is long haired - so maybe should try the little trimmer first - he is a smart cookie and just knows what I am up to half the time  ;D
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Grooming tips??
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 21:14:30 PM »
Try this little battery trimmer for small knots http://www.mad4ponies.com/acatalog/wahl_pocket_pro_trimmers.html - its small enough to hide er, hold, in your hand and easy to just whip off a little knot before puss cat has even realised whats happening LOL! - it won't work on big knots though - its not designed for those.

After you've got the little knots out brush the coat with a slicker brush with metal pins (don't bother with plastic  slickers, they're useless) every other day or so (if shorthaired) and that should keep it knot free. If the fur is long then you'll need to comb with a metal comb at least every other day, and brush with slicker.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Grooming tips??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 20:30:36 PM »
I have now had my two lovely boys for three weeks. Oscar is now not free aside from a large knot I noticed on his belly which I will be able to snip out, as he is quite relaxed about grooming.

Edgar is a whole other story. He had a benin tumour on his nose which it would appear means he grooms himself a lot less. His coat was quite bad when I got him and he has a fair few shaved patches but on the edges of these patches is some monster tangles. I have been able to cut a couple out and teaso some out but he really gets edgy and darts away. Even his legs seem to have tiny nots at the root of his fur and his whole coat just looks seperated on his tummy and legs as they are all in wee knots. The vet did not think it was so bad that needed shaving - although I maybe should have asked - he didn't mention it!!  :doh:

Anyway - any tips - any wonder tools - anything? They were also a bit whiffy when I got them, but the smell is nearly gone now which is a plus but just want to make them as comfortable as possibile!

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Link to CatChat