Author Topic: RIP Sam  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: RIP Sam
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
Bless him!
the special little things they did always keep coming to mind  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
Thanks everyone - one of his other cute things to do was he would sometimes be so desperate for a cuddle that when I was hoovering the floor, he would follow me round the room doing his meerkat impression!! Of course i had to give in and give him a quick cuddle before finishing off hoovering!! There were also the times when he didn't want to move for the hoover, and other times he would demand to be let out as soon as I switched it on!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
So sorry Des  :(

RIP Sam xxx

:hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:24:53 AM »
 :hug: awww, Sam sounds like a truly wonderful cat  :Luv2: :Luv2:

RIP sweet Sam xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 22:16:10 PM »
RIP Sam

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 18:57:13 PM »
Thanks - Sam made sure he got plenty of love!! Apart from some of the fosters (he did spray when he didn't like them!!), I think he was happy living here, and I am glad that Rachel thought he would be better off here than at hers - it turns out she was right, as much as he would have been happy living with the kids, he wouldn't have been happy with living in a flat, he was very demanding when it came to outdoor access - a cat flat would have been best for him. Apart from the spraying, I am glad that we opted to keep him here, he was such a wonderful cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 18:52:43 PM »
Play Hard on the Bridge Sam,  RIP  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 18:52:07 PM »
Desley, you gave Sam so much love. I'm sure he was happy that he ended up living with you - you might've thought he was never supposed to be with you, seems fate had other ideas.

RIP Sam, loved always.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 18:40:24 PM »
sorry to hear about Sam  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
RIP Sam
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 18:31:20 PM »
Ironically, Sam was never supposed to be with me, he was picked up as an 8mo female to go to a fosterer, but as soon as he walked out of the carrier at the fosterers with his tail up, it was obvious he was a boy and too big for an 8mo, so he had to have a quick name change (ironically the woman who had been feeding him had named him Molly), and a vet visit showed he was 11-12 with a heart murmur and possible hyper-t, plus in desperate need of a dental, at which point he came to mine. When it came to his dental, he had to have all his teeth removed, and bloods showed he was borderline hyper-t as well as having raised liver enzymes. When he still had issues with his mouth and his weight, we decided not to put him up for rehoming, and keep him as a long term foster instead. When I changed rescues last year, I decided to keep him, even though I wasn’t in a great position to do so financially.

Everyone who met Sam fell in love with him, there was just something about him – partly because he would sit and beg to be picked up, and adored being cuddled and stroked. My only worry was that he would go to anyone, and he also loved to jump into cars, so he was chipped and collared just to be on the safe side. My neighbours thought he was a wonderful cat, and he loved them, very few people thought he was old, and he was mistaken for a girl a few times!! He could be too loving and demanding though, I had numerous conversations with people while holding him on my hip like a child, and sometimes you hadn’t even got your bum on the settee before he was diving on you, and trying to get up was tricky, he kept trying to get back on your knee as you were standing up!! He rarely came upstairs though, Molly must have scared him!!

Despite having no teeth, he was the boss of the street, and hated one of the neighbours cats – despite the neighbours cat being younger, bigger and having all his teeth, Sam never stopped picking on him, and he quickly learned to scream as soon as Sam approached, as someone would go and rescue him!! Mind you, he also asserted himself with my sister’s Jack Russell, to the point my sis couldn’t bring him round because Sam would pin him to the floor – I was worried that the dog might retaliate one day, my sis was more worried about the dog!!

While I knew he would never live to his late teens with all his health issues, I never expected to only have him in my life for 17 months, nor to lose him before the girls. I thought he might have come into my life to take over from Molly, but obviously not. I don’t think I will ever be lucky enough to share my life with such a wonderful cat again, I think he was a one in a million cat. RIP my little meerkat.

This time 2 weeks ago we were just having our final cuddles before going to the vet. :(
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat