Author Topic: RIP little cat. What should I have done??  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: RIP little cat. What should I have done??
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 18:22:45 PM »
This is the worst circumstance but without veterinary knowledge and equipment, there is nothing you could have done beyond what you did  :hug:  Moving a dying animal will only add to his distress  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 18:14:26 PM »
How awful for you, you did what could at the time please don't reproach yourself  :hug:

RIP sweet little one xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 17:25:53 PM »
Thanks Gill, I know it would have died but I feel awful to have left it when we went for help but I didn't want to move it again and cause it more pain. Aren't some people horrible, the ones who hit it must have known and did nothing.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 17:20:41 PM »
I think you did as much as you could and even if you had been able to put the little cat in the car and drive to a vet , it would have died on the way there.  :hug:

I dont know if this cat had any identity or whether it could be scanned for a chip so its owners fould be told, or maybe put a poster up near the place it was found and bury the poor little one.

RIP Little Cat

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
RIP little cat. What should I have done??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 16:51:46 PM »
Today as we were driving to a friend's house for lunch, we found a little cat in the middle of the road, obviously hit by a car. I assumed he was dead and wanted just to move him out of the road but I realised he was alive but very badly injured. This is rural France on a Sunday, no vets anywhere. I didn't have a clue how to help the poor soul so we left him off the road and rushed to our friends, just a few minutes away in the hope that we could locate a vet. No luck with a vet so my husband and a friend returned to the cat, but he had already died. In my opinion there would have been nothing a vet could have done to save him but I feel awful that the little mite died alone and in pain. What should I have done? Is there anything I could carry with me to at least help with pain and/or sedation in such a situation?

Link to CatChat