Author Topic: Insurance - cats d.o.b?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Insurance - cats d.o.b?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 19:32:43 PM »
Don't worry, I know lots of people in a similar position - I didnt originally know Minnie's age but was lucky that Petlog had a record of her being chipped in 2000 as a kitten, but I still don't know the month she was born so she could be six or seven.  Like Desley, I've given her the date I adopted her on as a birthday - June 5.  The insurers will never know your cats' real ages anymore than you do!  I guess if it was a problem they would start asking people whether their cat's age is known or guess-timated, but I'm not aware of any insurers who do.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
I use the age estimated by the vet, and I think for the date I go off the one I adopted them, as I class that as their birthday for working out their age.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 15:29:46 PM »
Lexy was estimated at 3 years old when she adopted me, so on her insurance paperwork I claimed her age as year born 2003 and then the date of adoption. That's what the insurer told me to do. So at least she is covered back to that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:19:04 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 13:54:06 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it, you're not lying you are going with the estimate of a qualified vet, at the end of the day much as you can't prove when they were born the insurance company can't disprove it either.  If you said they were 4 yet had been registered at the vets for 6 years then you'd have a problem but if the time registered at the vets + estimated age on adoption equals their age now then I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:35:26 AM »
Pepper was estimated between 4 and 6 years when we got her and I used the middle age estimate (5 years) and the first of the month when we adopted her, i.e. 1st October.  Never had any questions asked by the insurance people when I had to make a claim.  These details are also noted down at my vets.  You should be fine.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline katbuzz

• Adult Cat
Insurance - cats d.o.b?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
Can I ask advice from those of you who are rescue people/ people with rescued cats?

I do not know my cats ages as they were rescued. They were estimated at 1-3 and 3-5 years old respectively. Because of this I have never had insurance as they all ask for d.o.b., luckily they have been healthy for the past 6 years (apart from the dental work I had to have done when I got them) and I keep my savings as a back up. When we were looking at rescuing our new kittens when I talked to the RSPCA lady she told me to lie and make up an age to get insurance. Which I have now done... but feel very uncomfortable about it. Can they refuse claims? Is there anyone else who has cats of unknown age and what do you do?  :-:

Link to CatChat