Author Topic: Waiting for Blip's blood test results  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Waiting for Blip's blood test results
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:47 AM »
Am glad the other tests were fine, I wouldn't bother taking her for that part to be repeated either.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 07:46:55 AM »
:thanks: to all of you.  I cannot tell you how much it means to have advice and support from experienced people.

:Luv:

PS Blip is (as usual, thank goodness) looking glossy, shiny and well.  I wish I could explain to her how much love she receives from folks she has never met.

This place is very special.

Give Blip a :hug: from us, C x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 22:25:12 PM »
.....and Blip as well as all our cats are very special  :grouphug:  ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 21:15:56 PM »
 :thanks: to all of you.  I cannot tell you how much it means to have advice and support from experienced people.

:Luv:

PS Blip is (as usual, thank goodness) looking glossy, shiny and well.  I wish I could explain to her how much love she receives from folks she has never met.

This place is very special.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 20:42:58 PM »
If you had taken her for the slightest inclination that something was wrong then i'd be saying completely opposite but this was a yearly routine mot bloods so me thinks another vet trip would do more harm than good  ;)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 19:41:20 PM »
I'm glad Blip has a clean bill of health!  ;D  I wouldn't bother repeating the tests that were messed up either.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 19:30:13 PM »
So pleased Blip is healthy  ;D and its sad they couldnt have told you the truth in the first place  >:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 17:17:32 PM »
Personally I am like minded and if her biochemistry is all fine then i would not be in the least bit worried about her haematology count.  Very pleased Blip has got a clean bill of health   ;)

I am inclining to that view, I think, Ruth and Lynn.  Blip hated yesterday's visit so very much.

i would request that they put a credit note on your file so the next time she gets/needs this test done it is free of charge since you paid for the original and it is their liability that the machine didnt work.

:thanks: Lynn - I believe they have already done that after my little chat with the practice manager this morning  ;) but I will check.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 14:34:45 PM »
I was just thinking about this and whilst i wouldnt take her back for the haemo just now i would request that they put a credit note on your file so the next time she gets/needs this test done it is free of charge since you paid for the original and it is their liability that the machine didnt work.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 13:26:15 PM »
Christine this would have been that haematology testing machine, they can be highly tempremental at times and even the smallest microscopic clumping of cells or them not separating in the centrifuge can cause this machine to play up.

Personally I am like minded and if her biochemistry is all fine then i would not be in the least bit worried about her haematology count.  I wouldnt be trepsing her back to the vets for a rpt b/sample but that would be my own personal choice.

Very pleased Blip has got a clean bill of health   ;)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 13:06:04 PM »
I rang the surgery and spoke to the practice manager.  She investigated and rang me straight back.  Apparently the practice has a bit of equipment that fires some sort of beam (I think) through the sample to arrive at the white blood cell count.  The equipment malfunctioned twice while processing Blip's sample.

All the other results are within normal range but in order for us to be satisfied that her white blood cell count is normal too, poor Blip will have to give another sample.

I am extremely reluctant to put Blip through this stress again so soon and am minded to assume all is well, given that Blip appears happy and very healthy.  But even as I type that, it seems perhaps irresponsible.  It's a dilemma.

PS they will not charge for this, obviously.

How awful for you  :Crazy: This is something only you can determine...personally i would get it done again just to be on the safe side  ;)

:hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 13:08:21 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 13:02:23 PM »
I rang the surgery and spoke to the practice manager.  She investigated and rang me straight back.  Apparently the practice has a bit of equipment that fires some sort of beam (I think) through the sample to arrive at the white blood cell count.  The equipment malfunctioned twice while processing Blip's sample.

All the other results are within normal range but in order for us to be satisfied that her white blood cell count is normal too, poor Blip will have to give another sample.

I am extremely reluctant to put Blip through this stress again so soon and am minded to assume all is well, given that Blip appears happy and very healthy.  But even as I type that, it seems perhaps irresponsible.  It's a dilemma.

PS they will not charge for this, obviously.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
I think its a disgrace they never contacted you and explained about emergencies etc  :Crazy:  Maybe cos of the emergencies they will of surely had to put the normal routine ops/sedations on hold and now have a back log.....

Not long to wait now and atleast you know that tomorrow is the day for the results   ;)  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 18:44:54 PM »
 :thanks: for your support.

It is interesting that the vet concerned is not one I have come across before.  Either she is new or she is a locum.  The two Simons (our regular vets there) are both very good.

The practice has another branch in Hammersmith and I think I might ring tomorrow and speak to someone there to ask what is going on in the Fulham branch.

I would be reluctant to change practices, Mark, because the two Simons are great and I have complete confidence in them.  The VNs are good too.

>:(

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 18:33:16 PM »
As the others have said I think it is bad management if someone can't take the time to discuss Blip's results.

Emergencies do happen but how do they know tomorrow will be the same  :Crazy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 18:30:04 PM »
Although it's awful to be messed around, I'd take it as a good sign. If there was something wrong with Blip that needed urgent attention, the vet wouldn't risk leaving it til Friday to inform you.  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 18:24:49 PM »
Surely they must realise that people are worried and need peace of mind. I agree, not good enough. I understand you saying they have to put emergencies first but I think they are making excuses. I would go as far as to tell them you want answers straight away or you will be contacting RCVN. I would also look for another vet.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 18:24:06 PM »
good point susanne. You can take comfort from the thought that if there had been a major prob, they would have been in touch. Small consolation I realise, but something to keep you going. I would still call them tomorrow am and ask to speak to the vet. Call a few minutes before surgery opening so he/she has no excuses for not coming to the phone.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 18:21:08 PM »
How do they know they are going to have emergencies until friday?  I can understand them not being able to ring back yesterday due to emergencies, but to put it off til friday?  I mean, how long does it take to give someone test results over the phone?  If there was anything that needed attention they'd ask you to make an appt to take Blip in anyway, so I don't see why they can't ring you before friday to give you an idea whether everything was ok or whether there was something they need to discuss in a bit more detail.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 18:18:10 PM »
not good enough really. If they have emergencies then they can deal with them and get back to you tomorrow first thing. There is no excuse for keeping you waiting till Friday. I would ring first thing in the morning.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 17:48:38 PM »
Hmmn, that's no good  >:(  What if you were *ahem* going on holiday for 3 weeks tomorrow?  You'd need to know today then wouldn't you  :sneaky: 

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 17:36:17 PM »
I have been out at a workshop all day today, but I checked my mobile phone and, when I hadn't heard from the practice by 12.00, I called them.  I am now informed that the vet will not call those of us waiting for blood test results until Friday!

I did tell the VN that I was extremely disappointed with this and she said that they had had a number of emergencies.  I am debating going round and making a nuisance of myself, but if there are genuine emergencies, that would not be right.  As well they know, I imagine...

>:(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 16:04:25 PM »
Has the vet rang today, Christine?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »
Hope all is good today C?  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 23:35:14 PM »
 :hug: to both of you. I am sure another tuna treat is in order tomorrow if not before. A girl needs some bed time entertainment. Have you lined Blip's resting area with catnip Christine?  :Luv:  ;)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 20:04:37 PM »
As the others have said I am sure they will be fine  :)

Huge  :hug: to you and Blip xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 19:15:28 PM »
Good luck and I'm sure they'll be fine.  The vet probably just got called away and didn't have time to ring you about them today.  I think it has to be a vet who gives you the results as someone else could misinterpret them, or you might worry about something that is marked as being high or low simply because it's a tiny bit outside the normal range, but which is an ok result.  When I went to get Jaffa's I called in at the vets rather than ringing up as I wanted to get a copy of them.  They were very busy and I ended up having to wait over an hour before the vet could see me.  There was nothing to worry about at all but nobody else could give me the results - I had to see the vet about them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 18:42:07 PM »
I had a similar situation the other week. When Clapton had his teeth out. I was out shopping and they called to say he had come round from the anaesthetic. We arranged a time and she said "Mr Baker wants to speak to you about Clapton'd blood tests" - I expected the worse butwhen I got there, he told me the numbers had improved. I'm sure it will all be fine. I would still have a go at them for not telling you tonight  >:(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 18:29:28 PM »
 :hug:  Fingers crossed for you both C, I am sure/hope they are all fine  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 18:27:17 PM »
I'm sure the results will be just fine :) Do you think Blip could have had a hand paw in making the results late to ensure she gets extra treats  :shify:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 17:54:56 PM »
Im sure if they had found anything suspicious in the bloods they would of not waited till the morning to tell you.....were they in-house tests?  :hug:

Yes, I believe they were in-house: they are just the routine ones for older puds and it is a well-appointed surgery.

I am sure you are right, Ruth, and the nurse made a point of saying that Blip looks to be in excellent condition.

Yes Gill, take it from me  :evillaugh:, I do usually hear correct  ;)  Thanks for the reassurance  :thanks:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 17:51:39 PM »
I am sure that Blip is fine and there obviously wasnt any urgent probem if indeed anything.

Misa lost weight apparently as well, hmmmmmmmmm I wouldnt have guessed  :rofl: :rofl:

Its natural to worry and I hate it when peeps dont ring like they say they will..............I bet you heard correct  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 17:47:23 PM »
Im sure if they had found anything suspicious in the bloods they would of not waited till the morning to tell you.....were they in-house tests?  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 17:44:33 PM »
 :thanks: everyone.

Having heard nothing from them, I just rang the surgery and they told me the vet would ring me in the morning.  I am sure that they said she would call this afternoon so am naturally concerned now  :scared:

Still, there would be no reason to delay giving me bad or iffy news, so perhaps surgery is particularly busy or I just misunderstood this morning.  I was stressed at the time because of course Blip was.

Blip herself has been sulking, quite understandably, but her mood has been much improved by her favourite tuna treat  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 17:22:54 PM »
Fingers crossed for good results  :hug: ;)

My cats also lose weight over the summer period so hopefully its just a case of that  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 17:18:27 PM »
Fingers crossed for good blood test results, it does sound like her weight loss could be due to being active, I find summer is the best time for weight loss when they are outside more.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 15:58:55 PM »
They love to worry you, Christine.  :tired: I expect Blip has been secretly working out to shed those grammes just to keep you on your toes.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 15:52:16 PM »
I'm sure everything will be fine Christine but we can't help worrying about these things  :hug: - At least when you get the good news, you won't feel guilty about giving her a nice treat  :hug: (clapton went mad for crispy fried duck on Saturday  ;) )

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Waiting for Blip's blood test results
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 15:37:49 PM »
Blip had her 'Old Friends' check up this morning.  To my surprise, she has lost some weight - she was marginally over 5kg and is now 4.6kg.  My initial reaction was one of happiness, but then I immediately thought that nearly 500g is a lot to lose in nine months without a weight reduction regime.

Blip has been very active this summer, playing with my neighbour's kitten Oscar and defending her territory against a neighbouring female newbie; the vet nurse also said that she was in excellent condition  :Luv: but folks on here will understand that I am now anxiously awaiting the vet's call later this afternoon with the results of the blood tests.

Link to CatChat