Author Topic: How do your cats react to seeing other cats in/around their own garden?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: How do your cats react to seeing other cats in/around their own garden?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 16:57:33 PM »
Thanks all, interesting to hear about the differences in reactions. Riley didn't react as badly as Algie, he did have a fluffy tail but was just stood on his hind legs looking up at the cat, no wailing etc Lu was just behind Riley staring at the cat.

Was just trying to gauge if my two are cat friendly or not, I'm not planning on expanding my furry family but you never know what's round the corner!

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
Algie goes wild if he sees a cat outside and he is inside, bottle brush tail and the full range of yowling, running from window to window to keep his eye on them in between trying desperately to get out though the cat flap at them, so much so that I now have to put a cover over the flap when they are inside as I am sure he will manage to break it in his attempt to get at the cat. If he is outside I am afraid he will attack cats that come onto 'his' territory if they don't give way. Noodle on the other hand will yowl and fluff up if he is inside and Algie hasn't spotted them but if there is a cat about outside will fluff up and then run inside and sit at the top of the stairs if looks like there is going to be trouble. Luckily there are not many cats about so it doesn't happen too often.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:13:13 AM by Jiji »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 00:03:37 AM »
Mine are used to seeing other cats in the garden and seem just curious  :) but Harry (RIP) would always react if another cat dared to show its face in or around HIS garden   ;) If he saw another cat from inside, he would be straight out to see it off  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 19:02:06 PM »
we are cat proofed to and mine are the same, they get very angry!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
How do your cats react to seeing other cats in/around their own garden?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 18:18:06 PM »
Just wondering how other people's cats react to seeing 'intruder' cats near their territory and also whether in general you consider them to be cat friendly or not?

The reason I ask is that my two boys were indoor only for the first year or so and now I have cat proof fencing in my garden so they have never met other cats meaning I have no idea if they are particulary friendly/unfriendly to other cats. Over the past few days a little white cat keeps standing on the top of the fence, he/she can't get over but both times the boys have been right up by the fence, Riley on his hind legs with a bushy tail looking up at the cat and Lu behind him with no bushy tail. I think Riley is bushing his tail up in a non-aggressive way eg look how big I am, don't come into my garden but there is no hissing or growling from any of them.

Link to CatChat