Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 2822 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »
Smidgen says thank you very much for your well-wishes but he is busy hunting so please do not disturb. Whatever is in that cream works wonders - he is trotting around as if nothing has happened at all. Will keep applying it though in case any dead skinsloughs off. It is Panalog ointment. It contains triamincinolone acetonide (1mg/ml), meomyscin 2.5mg/ml, thiostrepton (2500 unilts /ml) and nystatin (100000 units/ml). No idea what any of that means, but might help you work it out.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 21:01:53 PM »
 :hug:

Hope your paws heal smartish, Smidge :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 20:44:41 PM »
Hope the cream works fast for him  :hug:

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 20:40:28 PM »
Aww, poor Smidgen!. I'm sure he is enjoying all the extra cuddles though.  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
Yep we have some magic cream. It is anti=inflammatory and antibiotic and moisturing all in one (I should try it on my face!!). Apparently I did all the right things and he will suffer no long-term effects. He is a bit more sprightly today and less inclined to leap off high buildings at a single bound (ouch). He has worked out a better way of getting off the top bunk (I have cleared some clutter for him). Still inclined to spend more time sleeping than normal, but otherwise seems much happier. But still very wary of the heater, so clearly he has learned his lesson. Hopefully all the time he has spent snuggled with Esther (in mother mode) has given him the opportunity to pass on the instructions to her as well. Though generally she has been more wary of the heater all along.

It sounds like the stuff Clapton had for his sores - it also had steroids in. I can't remember the name. The vet said it would still work if it had 15 minutes or so to soak in before he licked it, it would be fine.

I hope it is soothing his little toes. :ahh:

Edit - Is it Surolan?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:43:47 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
Poor baby ... glad his toes are feeling a bit better.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:38 AM »
 :) glad his poorly little toesies are getting better xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
I can assure you he has been spoilt rotten. The cream seems to soak in rapidly so no chance of him licking it off if I remember to continue applying cuddles for a few minutes after application ...

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »
Hope the magic cream works quickly  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
glad to hear it should be better soon and no long term ouchy.

please give him a tickle from me  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
Yep we have some magic cream. It is anti=inflammatory and antibiotic and moisturing all in one (I should try it on my face!!). Apparently I did all the right things and he will suffer no long-term effects. He is a bit more sprightly today and less inclined to leap off high buildings at a single bound (ouch). He has worked out a better way of getting off the top bunk (I have cleared some clutter for him). Still inclined to spend more time sleeping than normal, but otherwise seems much happier. But still very wary of the heater, so clearly he has learned his lesson. Hopefully all the time he has spent snuggled with Esther (in mother mode) has given him the opportunity to pass on the instructions to her as well. Though generally she has been more wary of the heater all along.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 23:50:39 PM »
LJ it can happen if you press the wrong button so instead of post  or what ever is there, its so easy to do  :sneaky:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 23:33:41 PM »
owy owy owy owy (one for each paw)

poor little baby

they're so reckless arent they...  scary sometimes.  jaspers pulled loads of glasses off the table with his tail. they break, i panic he'll hurt himself.... 

hope his pawses are a bit better and he can get some magic cream for them or something  :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 20:43:20 PM »
D'ya know, I'm sure my posts are disappearing.  I know I replied to this already and it's not here!  Happened on another thread too.  Thought I was going mad but now I'm sure it's not me.

Anyway.... my post was something like.... Yeeeeooooooooouch, I hope Smidgen's feels better soon xx

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 18:21:14 PM »
Lots of get well wishes to Smidgeon and hope the vet can help the pain and stop any blisters becoming infected  :hug: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
It does not help that he keeps forgetting and jumping down from high places - now that must really smart! :Crazy:

Definitely vet first thing in the morning. Poor boy will be feeling extra rotten after that. :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »
I can imagine how sore that is, :hug: Smidgen  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »
tank u Chloe, I is feeling right poorly at t mo.

Smidgen

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »
Poor Smidgen - Chloe-cat hopes a special cake might cheer him up  ;)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:22 AM »
oooh, poor thing, hope the blisters heal soon  :(

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 08:35:44 AM »
Well he has certainly learned his lesson - will not go near the heater, the closest he has got was four feet, and that was under my chair, with my legs between him and the heater. Poor baby seems to be developing blisters on his toesies, so is off to the vet tomorrow first thing when she opens (and I will have a few words to say about providing some useful 'after hours' advice! >:( ). Poor baby does not seem to know which foot to limp on and sits up on his hind legs with both front paws in the air. So definitely hurting, even if the skin remains unbroken. He is, however, still a bottomless pit regarding food (he has had special treat tinned food served directly under his nose where he is reclining on my bed), and clung very firmly to his side of the bed last night as well. Way too sooky for my bumptious boy. :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 13:10:50 PM »
Ouchy!  Hope Smidgeon's paws are feeling better today  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 13:00:41 PM »
Lots of love and healing vibes to Smidgeon and hope he has learnt his lesson  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 11:03:35 AM »
Aw poor Smidgen....hope his paws feel better soon!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Oh, poor fellow - a real scalded cat/cat on a hot tin roof type scenario  :evillaugh:

Hope his poorly-paws are soon healed  :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
Poor Smidgen hope he's ok  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
Ouch  :shocked:

Can you not put something spiked on there (not that he will try again I think). I was nervous with ours but it is recessed. I considered putting rolled up foil or something to stop them (Willow  :tired: ) jumping up.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
Poor little chap.  Hope his paws are better today  :hug:

He won't do that again, at least.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
Oh No! Poor Smidgen :care: Sending cooling vibes to those poor tootsies  :hug:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
Now that's far more spectacular than Dougals smoking fur! Daft creatures that they are, they still like to think the hotter the better despite the fur coat and really being designed for all year outdoor living they really rather like being domesticated don't they!

Give Smidgen cuddles and head rubs from us and possibly a little toe dip in some cold water ;)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:55:53 AM »
Smidgen found out today (the hard way) that it is not a good idea to jump onto the wood burning oven when it is in operation. Fortunately he leaped off very promptly and skittered out of the room in a cloud of burning hair, through the floorboards and under the house. When he emerged a few minutes later I tried to catch him to check but he ran off - so I drove him towards some wet grass that had some frost on it, to cool his tootsies and eventually caught him for a good look. Damage report was two front feet looking a wee bit tender, and minus a couple of layers of skin, so I rang the vet, only to discover she is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So I rang another vet about an hour and a half drive from here (the nearest option) and she assured me aloe vera and careful monitoring would suffice, unless I was deeply concerned.

Smidgen finally ventured back into the offending room and lurked in his Ikea cat tent, as far from the heater as possible, glaring at the heater in outrage (his face definitely said 'that was more than a little uncalled for - how can I ever trust you again?').

This evening he is walking comfortably (fortunately it has been bitterly cold all day so all surfaces are cool, including the caravan floor) and he tucked into his dinner with his usual enthusiasm. Only noticeable behaviour change was that he was more easily discouraged from trying to get out once he had eaten, and has taken himself to bed on the sleeping bag (smooth cool cover) instead of the dog's bed (textured finish).

Will check him once more before letting him out tomorrow and if it looks as if it is getting worse (unlikely) we will be making the trip to the vet whether he likes it or not. At present I felt the length of the trip would cause him more distress than the injury (based on my various burns I have acquired since getting the thing).

I am expecting special Smidgen snuggles tonight, poor boy!!

Link to CatChat