Author Topic: Kittens - 7week old - Need Advice  (Read 1122 times)

ccmacey

Re: Kittens - 7week old - Need Advice
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 22:37:33 PM »
I have 3 males and they are quite content its my females that cause the chaos. They can be quite scatty. I think the males just want a quite life lol

Your vet will be able to tell you what vacs they need, mine cost £50 for first lot then £25 a year for their boosters.

Also neutering should not be considered, it should be a legal requirment.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 20:00:23 PM »
And please get your friend to neuter the mum cat, they can get pregnant again really quickly so its important to keep her in  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 19:57:05 PM »
Neutering is an absolute must and its a simple and cheaper operation for boys, who will then likely be very affectionate.

Jabs also essential and I too dont use FeLv but this is something you need to consider for the fist series maybe if they are going to be going outside.

My third essential is for you rather than them and its insurance and I think they can be insured when reaching 8 weeks and its so worth having insurance.

I agree with MM that it would be better for them to stay with their monther a tad longer and surely if it was known you were taking both ot them this shouldnt be a prob.........they will learn so much in social skills from their mother in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 19:52:34 PM »
You should also get them microchipped (approx £20) this can be done before they are neutered or when they are under for their op.
Prices vary for neutering, my vet is approx £35 for a boy.

Insurance is also an essential, kittens are notorious for getting into trouble and costing lots of money! Best value is AXA as they offer cover for life  ;)

You also need to get good quality flea & worm treatments, you can buy these online from vet uk much cheaper, eg. frontline for fleas and drontal for worms.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 19:48:48 PM »
1. Would it be ok to get the kittens at this age i.e. 7 weeks old? The reason I ask is, ive read on a number of sites that the kittens should not be seperated from their mother untill they're 12 weeks old.. is this true?

Registered breeders keep them to this age as they need to home them fully vacinated. If your friend would keep them another couple of weeks it would benefit them.

2. The kittens have not had any vaccinations yet, so what jabs well they need to have exactly and roughly how much will it cost?

First vaccination is at 9 weeks followed by a second 2-3 weeks later depending on the brand your vet uses. I dont use the felv vaccine and a course is about £30.
There is also annual boosters approx £20.

3. Will it be a problem having 2 males i.e. will they be always marking teritory? if so will neautoring be something to consider?
Please neuter any cat you get. Females also spray when in heat and make a terrible racket. 2 neutered brothers will generally get along although there are exceptions.

Offline Djaniero

• Kitten
Kittens - 7week old - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 19:43:36 PM »
Hi. I friend of mines cat, had kittens recently and she now has 2 males left. I was thinking about just getting the one kitten, however it seems wrong to seperate the two brothers as they get along so well together and are almost inseperable at the moment.

So I'm thinking about getting the 2 kittens. Before I do so, Ive got a few questions to ask:

1. Would it be ok to get the kittens at this age i.e. 7 weeks old? The reason I ask is, ive read on a number of sites that the kittens should not be seperated from their mother untill they're 12 weeks old.. is this true?

2. The kittens have not had any vaccinations yet, so what jabs well they need to have exactly and roughly how much will it cost?

3. Will it be a problem having 2 males i.e. will they be always marking teritory? if so will neautoring be something to consider?

Thanks for any  advice on the above and feel free to give me anymore input as Ive had cats in the past just not kittens, so I'm a newbie to what jabs they need etc.

Cheers

Link to CatChat