Author Topic: Info I saw yesterday regarding Glucosamine  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Info I saw yesterday regarding Glucosamine
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 13:55:10 PM »
Well the ad said Glucomasine Sulphate interferes with ACE inhibitors and blood pressure meds. I would assume Ipaketine is just the shells as the binder is calcium. Unlikely there is any salt in it.

This is the Glucosamine I saw the ad for. I will make sure I only buy hydrochloride.

http://www.meltdownglucosamine.co.uk/

Holland and Barrett are doing it BOGOF at the moment.

I just checked Cosequin and it's hydrochloride  ;D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 13:56:34 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Info I saw yesterday regarding Glucosamine
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:04 PM »
Oh no, not another 'avoid Chinese ingredients' thing. I think ALL products should have their country of origin clearly marked!  Do you know which Cosequin is btw?

Interesting that the binder Ipaketine is also shellfish derived - wonder if from China?! Anyhow I wondered if that was also possibly high in salt. This all gets so confusing doesn't it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Info I saw yesterday regarding Glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
I saw an advert on the back of the Times mag yesterday for a brand of Glucosamine. It said that theirs contained Glucosamine Hydrochloride which was the newer version and that Glucosamine Sulphate should be avoided as it contains a large amount of potassium salts which isn't good. I'm, sure the same must go for the pet version.

I did a search and found this item which agrees. It says that the Sulphate version has to be stabilised with potassium salts and our diets already contain too much salt. It also says that the Hydrochloride version is 85% effective and the sulphate 65%.

http://www.a1msm.co.uk/glucosamine.htm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:38:11 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat