Author Topic: Thinking of letting the cats outside  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Thinking of letting the cats outside
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 22:18:57 PM »
Bless em :)  Some cats just love the outdoors don't they?  I'd just make sure that they respond to being called (in whatever way works for you and them).  I occasionally reward mine with a treat when they come straight in after being called, just to reinforce it now and again.  So long as they are in earshot they come right away :) Hope the darling babes have fun in the great outdoors!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 21:18:13 PM »
Well Tigger's only been here about 6 months now and it's the past month or so the little ones have been so mad to get out.
Thanks a million, Blackcat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 20:31:44 PM »
sounds like you have already started the process, albeit unwillingly. If you just let them out, and keep a close eye on them so you know where they are, and call them back with food if they look like they want to venture too far (over the fence) the first few times ... Make sure they are hungry when you do it and they should come back. Keep Da Bird on hand in case of emergencies ... ;)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Thinking of letting the cats outside
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 20:29:03 PM »
I haven't made my mind up yet.
They are desperate to get outside though, especially Belle. It's a mission to get out the doors without him running out past anyone, and he manages it a lot of the time, although he just runs down the garden and when I go after to pick him up he always lets me.

Tigger goes outside, just for maybe half an hour a day and always comes back, I only let him out cos the lady that had him before let him outside. When I first got him I let him out for 10 minutes or so at a time, watching him and then bringing him in. The cats have loads of toys, a cat tree, and I play with Da Bird and the laser toy with them regularly, but they're still wanting to go outside.
They're 10 months old, all neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.

I don't want to start an indoor/outdoor debate, but just wondered if I did decide to start letting them out what the best way to go about starting it is?

Link to CatChat