Author Topic: Feline shanty town!- UPDATE - Now its a New Town!  (Read 7191 times)

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Feline shanty town!- UPDATE - Now its a New Town!
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 17:13:52 PM »
 :innocent: a hammock and an avairy? with catflap?  :evillaugh:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 23:33:15 PM »
.. and a water feature too?  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 23:32:01 PM »
Going to try and find something to make him a sunbathing deck later on when the weather is better  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 23:29:29 PM »
This is what i bought Winston before xmas -i have it in the shed at the moment and going to put it outside when its not raining so heavily

Thats nice - looks like a miniature beach hut!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 23:28:24 PM »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 23:27:41 PM »
This is what i bought Winston before xmas -i have it in the shed at the moment and going to put it outside when its not raining so heavily

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 23:22:25 PM »
You could get a 'driveway mirror' and solar lighting to check if there's any occupants  :evillaugh:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?type=0&man=0&filterwords=driveway+mirror&go=SEARCH&comp=

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 23:18:44 PM »
I wish i could find another one with windows in -the one i have at the front is very old now but Winston has decided to use it again in the daytime as he loves to be able to see whats going off through the windows - he is soooooo   nosey !!!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 23:15:52 PM »
Surprised you've not put a night light in the new house for them  :evillaugh: :rofl: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 22:43:57 PM »
They prefer the cardboard boxes. And this suprises you why?   :rofl: :rofl:

LOL!  :evillaugh:

Success! last night white cat came rushing up the road when she heard me open the front door - she only poked her head in to where the saucer is - but I put my hand inside to see if anyone else was in residence - and touched fur, so didnt take him long to get settled in! its a bit annoying because with the old cat carrier shelter I used to be able to look out my side window and see right into it and know if any cat was in (except when its dark - can't see a thing then - its pitch round there!) but because the entrance is that side I can't see directly in now - have to go outside and physically peer in - darent lift the lid, in case one is inside and give them the shock of their life!

Thats great  ;D
Where was it from Gill?

I got it in Jollyes, this was the smallest one. If I'd gone a day earlier I could have brought one already made up - but thinking about it, I'd probably never have got in the car fully constructed! A lady had been in the day before to buy it for - yes, a feral cat living under her garden hedge!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 18:46:53 PM »
Zooplus sell the range which is where i got mine  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
they will gp in as soon as one ventures in cos they need to make it smell like them, sure it smells soo new at present. great idea  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
 ;D It's great, I would think they will go into eventually it took a little while for my ferals into ours but they're always in now.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »
I can't see the pictures, but aww what a lovely thing to do, and like someone else said its a shame that the owners aren't doing more for them!

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:09 AM »
Awwww, that's a sweet-looking little kennel for them. Hope they come round to the idea soon! ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:30 AM »
Aw Gillian thats so lovely of you......Pure heart of gold you have there girl!  ;) :Luv2: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 23:19:58 PM »
Thats great  ;D
Where was it from Gill?
If i put anymore out the front though i will have the Lincoln cat population living here !!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 22:00:40 PM »
What lucky cats  :) I'm sure they'll get used to it in time!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 21:46:39 PM »
i'm sure as soon as it starts raining they'll soon be in there.  I have an old rabbit hutch that is very well used by pretty much every cat in the neighbourhood at some point.  I have an old feather pillow that is all wrapped up in a plastic bag and then on top of that I put on large bath towel that is taken in and washed one a week.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 21:43:55 PM »
They prefer the cardboard boxes. And this suprises you why?   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 21:06:38 PM »
 :wow: Looks like a swish batchelor(ette) pad to me, Gillian!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 20:54:35 PM »
You big softie  :rofl: :Luv2: :rofl: :Luv2:

Glad it was easy to build - I hate it when they say it's easy and it's not (Unless you are a scientist!)

Mary

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 20:29:28 PM »
Pepsi just asked if she can come and live with you instead as she doesn't get special kitty accommodation here  :shify:

It looks really cosy and warm, hope they come around to the idea of it soon!

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 20:12:07 PM »
Well thats more swish than an old hutch! Well done  :hug:
Iv got the same kennel and its pretty good ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 17:11:48 PM »
Now they have a new build - cosy, dry and warm (ish!) - have they used it? - no they flippin havent!! Well, one of them has poked its head in to eat the biscuits, but from what I can tell neither of them has actually slept in it yet! I saw ginge making his way round to it and there was a look of pure shock on his face - like, what happened to my house?!!! LOL! then he walked off again!

I was very impressed with the kennel though - really easy to put together, all the holes were pre-drilled and all the screws you need were attached to a piece of card that showed a picture of the screw and where to use it (deffo idiot proof!) - there was even a screwdriver included! It was £49.95, but I paid extra to have the 'plastic strips that hang over the entrance - mind you I probably neednt have bothered with those, because they are very heavy duty strips and I thought a bit offputting for the cats to push through initially, so I ended up fixing one on, and I might add the other two, one at a time, so's they get used to them. Well I'm pleased with it anyway - even if they are studiously ignoring it LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Re: Feline shanti town!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 15:59:46 PM »
I tried to put the snugglesafe in one last night but it wouldn''t fit through the opening - the wooden ones roof lifts off though ,so i put that in there and an old hot water bottle in the other one .

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 15:50:13 PM »
Poor kitties - fancy their owners leaving them out in this weather! >:(

Thank goodness there are kind people like you in the world, Gillian. I'm sure the kitties appreciate the effort you have put in and look forward to their nights in their shanty town. :)

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 15:05:49 PM »
what kind hearts there are in the world..i guess to counteract the hard hearted unfeeling ones! :(

I hope that the cats stay warm enough and im sure they appreciate the food and shelter..... well done you! xxx :hug:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 14:58:46 PM »
How kind of you Gillian, wish the owners would take a leaf out of your book though!  :tired: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 14:31:00 PM »
Thats a lovely gesture for these poor cats, i have an old dog kennel outside the back door that the cats love to go in ,i put a shelf halfway up and lined it with old carpet for insulation,at night  any cats left out tend to gravitate towards this plus i have a cat flap on the shed and its full of beds in there and fully insulatedmy lot cant wait to get out in the mornings and see whose been sleeping in their beds :evillaugh:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 22:18:50 PM »
Hope you are going to send your neighbour a bill for B&B  :rofl: :Luv2:

I moved in to my house 25 years ago and there wasn't a door on the 'out house' in the back garden - I've never put one on because cat's that are left out all night that live near me go in there to sleep on the mats I've put in there for them and biscuits and water.  They also shelter from the rain day and night.

So glad we are all softies.

Mary

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 20:39:48 PM »
Its a shame their "owners" dont care as much as you do  :(
Im sure they are grateful for the little shanty village

Ah, I knew there was something wrong with they way I'd spelt shanti LOL! I kept looking at it and thinking that doesnt look right - shanty, yes that looks right  ;)

I wish I could get them to come indoors, but no way am I attempting to pick up the white one  :evillaugh: - and ginge would just run away.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 19:26:40 PM »
Its a shame their "owners" dont care as much as you do  :(
Im sure they are grateful for the little shanty village

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 19:18:52 PM »
Oh bless them, feel so sorry for all the cats shut out  :(
Would they share an old hutch? One compartment each of course  ;) they are often given away for free or a small cost

Yes, I thought about a rabbit hutch the other day, I nearly brought them a brand new one from PAH, but couldnt run to that at the time! Its very unsuual for the ginger cat to be seeking shelter, but then this is extreme weather, he's very nervous and she's feisty - what a pair LOL! All I've done for now is put another old plastic cat carrier, padded out with newsppaper, bubblewrap, fleece and then hay! and covered over with black plastic sacks.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 19:04:53 PM »
Oh bless them, feel so sorry for all the cats shut out  :(
Would they share an old hutch? One compartment each of course  ;) they are often given away for free or a small cost

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 18:30:42 PM »
Poor cats -good job there''s people like us about !
I have just moved the other wooden cat house thats got a catflap on , thats hardly been used to the front of my house - there are now 2 houses for shelter for the cats that visit and food too .
I have put the one without the cat flap on at a angle to get the best shelter possible and will put the spare snugglesafe in that one tonight too .

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 18:13:32 PM »
Awww -Bless you for caring  :hug: :hug: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 18:02:19 PM »
Poor cats left outside in this weather, thats a good deed Gillian and am sure they both love you to bits really  :shify: :shify:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Feline shanty town!- UPDATE - Now its a New Town!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 17:58:42 PM »
You may remember there is a neighbour's white cat near me, who is often out in the cold. I made a makeshift shelter for her back when when had the real cold snap this time last year. Anyway, she uses it a lot and is usually there last thing at night (for her biccies!) and emerges from it in the morning. Well, just before all the snow, I packed it out with hay to try and make it warmer for her and the other night I went out to give her her biccies, she wasnt in the shelter but appeared from just down the road. It's pitch black where I've got the shelter (bulbs gone in the porch light!) and she went to go in the shelter to have her biccies, but hissed as she looked in - thats not unusual for her to hiss at me (ungrateful madam  :evillaugh: ) but I thought it was a bit odd, anyway, put my hand in the shelter and shock! touched fur! yikes! withdrew hand quickly and peered in, but still couldnt see - so put hand in again and stroked the fur - it growled! withdrew hand quickly again LOL!

Well it eventually emerged, and it turns out it is the other cat that lives with this white one who has also out in the cold - I wasnt sure they'd want to share (even though from same household), so hastily put together another shelter (very temporary as knew snow was expected) so, hence the look of a shanti town outside my front door!

I've since made another slightly more permanent shelter for the two of them - but actually today I've seen both of them in the one shelter together. Although later on the ginger one came out leaving the white one still insdide the shelter, then decided he wanted to go back in and she wouldnt let him - like I said - right little madam  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 17:00:17 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat