Author Topic: Supplementing non complete food  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Supplementing non complete food
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 19:16:45 PM »
Has anyone else had the email or seen the warnings that Hill's are putting in their food descriptions telling people that they shouldn't give their pets canned food with Hill's as they could suffer nutritionally. Basically they are scared people are cutting back on their premium food and using scare tactics to get people to only feed their food?

No surprise they play dirty >:(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 13:52:45 PM »
None of my cats have ever been keen on Hills.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 13:44:03 PM »
Has anyone else had the email or seen the warnings that Hill's are putting in their food descriptions telling people that they shouldn't give their pets canned food with Hill's as they could suffer nutritionally. Basically they are scared people are cutting back on their premium food and using scare tactics to get people to only feed their food?

i haven had an email BUT!!.....when i went to my vet first time with sophie she strongly suggested hills dry and NO WET AT ALL DUE TO ITS UNHEALTHY HIGH SALT LEVELS......so being new to cats i got a bag of hills....(still unopened lol)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »
Its normal food. When they sent emails out by mistake the other week, the dog one said the same thing. It is also on their website and in the description some of their sellers use.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
I don't get any hills emails, Mark.  I have never fed Hills (I tried the dry once years ago but it resulted in a very smell tray, and I tried Jaffa on the hills pouches a year or 2 ago and they made him sick - so no Hills here!).  Are they talking about their prescription foods?  With prescritpion foods, manufacturers do tend to state that they need to be fed exclusively in order for them to work, but if it's their normal foods it sounds a bit underhand.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
Yea I checked bozita and it confused me to lol

Thanks for the info al pop out and check it today :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »
Tbh, I can't remember what is complete and what is complementary among what I feed.  I feed a variety of brands - something different at every meal - so I just assume they get a complete diet through variety.  I don't feed the stuff I know to be complementary too often.  Are you after stuff that has shredded meat similar to applaws, or will chunks, pate etc do?

Tesco finest, Hi Life Essentials and PAH Purely all have a high meat content (not 75%, about 50% I think which is about the min I look for.  Still high compared to the 4% in whiskas, felix et al) and no deriviatives.  I think cosma is complete (from zooplus) - the chicken one just contains 60% chicken and minerals.  Miamor pastette (zooplus)  has added minerals, again about 50% meat.  My boys love the turkey and egg variety.  I think Porta 21 (also from zooplus) is also complete and a similar meat content.

I can't recall off the top of my head foods that have the very high meat content, are complete but have no deriviatives.  I think bozita might be deriviative free? I don't understand their labelling since they changed it though.  It says something like more than 4% meat but it is definitely about 80% meat and used to say so on the labelling.  They changed the labelling and I don't really get it now but I'm sure they didn't change the food from a high meat food to a low meat one.

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23:30 AM »
What is zi?

I looked at onebefore I'm sure it said meat meal I might be wrong tho LOL

Off to PAH today will have a look see.

I forgot to mention she gets wet on morning then dry rest of day to make up the amount she needs to be fed, applaws dry. Would that compensate enough for the non complete food on the morning?

Thanks again I know I go on n on.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
Natures menu is 70ish (the one I opened for Mol this morning is 71% - ingredients are min 61% chicken, min 6% salmon, min 4% tuna, minerals, various sugars - the last two are what makes it complete). I think the Forthglade food is complete too, and that is 60% meat, the new HiLife adult pouches are 60ish, and am sure Purely is as well. When I used to feed complimentary HiLife, I fed complete dry alongside it, and her bloods were fine (the vet thought she had something underlying before she came though), now I just feed a mixture of foods, so they get Applaws a couple of times a week and it is only one meal a day (i know with feeding raw you dont have to balance every day, as long as the week is balanced) and I did consider putting Zi on purely Applaws, if I did that, she would get one tin split over two meals and then an equivalent amount of dry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 04:10:54 AM »
Well can you get wet food that has 75% or around that, propper meat no derivatives etc thats complete? I haven't been able to find any thats all not without having something in that I don't like.

Because there are no added things it's all natural, the kitten is complete but thats a mix or chicken, liver, salmon oil etc....
Am sure they could do a complete natural adult if they wanted but might cost more who knows lol

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 23:11:18 PM »
When I had my underage puppy (rescue) I used to supplement him with AS45 (I think?) powder in his food, there must be something for cats, I would ask at the local Vet. I would look around though and see if said product could be bought cheaper elsewhere as Vets tend to sell food/supplements at premium rates.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 23:00:06 PM »
I think I'd probably alternate other complete foods with the Applaws, rather than trying to add supplements to the Applaws because without knowing the exact nutritional content and quantities, you won't know what to add, in what quantities, if you see what I mean?

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
Supplementing non complete food
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 20:12:51 PM »
I'm just about to move to adult wet applaws which I know isn't complete.

Can anyone recommend a supplement with vits and mins etc to put with it so it has everything it needs? And is that ok to do?

I've looked on zooplus and petplant but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

Link to CatChat