Author Topic: Urgent advice required: Dairylea or Primula?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Urgent advice required: Dairylea or Primula?
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 17:48:20 PM »
I'm glad Her Royal Blipness is taking her medicine and fingers crossed the Cosequin helps with her stiffness.

I admit I go for the shove it down the throat method.  Provided I can catch them (Mosi doesn't run away but Jaffa just knows when I'm plotting something so is harder to catch) it's less stressful all round as it's down the hatch quickly.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 17:33:49 PM »
If anyone is following the Joint Supplements thread, you will know that I have had success by mixing the Cosequin into Primula and smearing it on Blips front legs - which is pretty close to what Ruth said at the start of this thread, of course.  I had resisted doing that (not sure why, really  :Crazy:) but in fact, I think, Blip rather enjoyed the Primula.

:thanks: everyone.  Blip will thank you all as the Cosequin starts to work, too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 22:35:35 PM »
oops, forgot to respond to Witty  :-[

I am embarrassed to say that I have never given a cat a pill: when Blip had to have daily antibiotics I got a friend to come and do it  :-[

I think I may need a training session as, inevitably, we all of us tend to need more medication as we get older.

No worries, Christine. Thought you responded in the "general methods" bit!  :evillaugh:

Here's a way to try, works well enough with Tobz, though he oft doth protesteth much. 

Jam the cat in the back corner of an armchair or sofa and use your hip (and body weight) to keep cat in place. Have pill ready to hand. With one hand take the cat's upper jaw, with the bridge of the nose in the bridge between your thumb and index finger. Pull the mouth open and the head right back so that the drop to the back of the throat is effectively straight down. With other hand, drop pill in. Quickly close mouth to avoid spittage of pill and rub throat until you see a swallow. Have dollop of butter or laughing cow to smear on nose to encourage swallowing of said pill.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 18:35:03 PM »
I also have never given a cat a pill except when it crushed up.

Dont have full use of one hand so cant hold them, cat or pills  :rofl: :rofl:  Also cant get the tops of bottles and stuff where you have to push and turn!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant hold flaming Misa anyway he is just toooooooo big and strong for me, I such a weakling  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 16:06:51 PM »
oops, forgot to respond to Witty  :-[

I am embarrassed to say that I have never given a cat a pill: when Blip had to have daily antibiotics I got a friend to come and do it  :-[

I think I may need a training session as, inevitably, we all of us tend to need more medication as we get older.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 14:08:58 PM »
Lots of ideas  :wow:

My OH reminded me that Blip used to like Terracusty (I havent seen it for a while  :() and, in similar vein, ate some vanilla ice cream that I had bought for a friend.  So we have bought a carton of custard and some vanilla icecream to try.

If that doesnt meet with approval, I shall try these good suggestions one by one.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Mum's Own Chicken and MO Beef is definitely safe for cats...  It's like the holy grail trying to find it though, Asda and Tesco's both apparently stock it but I've never seen a single real life jar of the stuff  :evillaugh:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »
No definately not. I posted somewhere else about how fussy meowmy is about food after researching for her crf cat. We're not allowed onions or anything onion related, salt (not even briny tuna) or anything else that's not as close to 100% meat as possible. She doesn't even give us a nice bit of liver...
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
As long as it doesn't contain onions - I think a lot of baby food does.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »
Heinz (I think it is) do a baby food called "Mum's Own". There's a beef or chicken flavour one (just beef or chicken, no fancy casseroles or stews bleurgh! :sick:). It's about 90% meat and the rest is all good stuff too. I think it's quite pricey but worth a shot. And, as it's baby food, you'd hope it's low in salt and stuff.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 08:11:39 AM »
No. Marmite, Vegemite, oxo cubes and soy sauce are all very high on salt - that's why we love them (well, except for the Marmite yech)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 23:46:03 PM »
Marmite is very high in salt I believe, or am I mixing it up with OXO cubes  :-:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 18:35:39 PM »
a cheaper version is anchovy paste.

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
Most expensive answer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 18:33:14 PM »
Just remembered something called Gentleman's Relish, it stinks, it's expensive but my boyz loved it. :P

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 18:29:02 PM »
Try Marmite or Vegemite, a tiny amount of course. Old animal nurse trick, vitamin B is good for them in small doses.

Make sure there is plenty of water around.  ;)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 17:22:25 PM »
Christine, I have had the same problem with Toby and his glucosamine capsules. IMHO best method is just to pill Blip with the capsule rather than trying to put the contents in food.

Toby doesn't have any choice - down the hatch the capsules go. So far, my fingers are just about intact, but he has turned spitting pills out into some sort of an art form...  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 16:28:12 PM »
Well, here is my Lack of Progress report  :shify:

Blip took one look at the elegantly presented Primula swirl into which I had lovingly mixed the Cosequin then turned and walked out of the kitchen.  I think we can deem that a failure  :tired: That probably rules out the whole cheese motif.

Pinkbear, she used to go wild for Waitrose organic pork pate but the wretches no longer sell it.  I have tried other pates but they do not have the same effect.

I will try Gwens idea of salmon paste (I have a jar of Thai shrimp paste on the go all the time for us and I imagine that is similar stuff?) but this is the cat that will not eat any type of treat except tuna.  I tried to Mickey Finn her tuna a couple of years ago and she even rejected that.

I have managed to get two doses down her by stirring them into her suppers and hardening my heart against the pitiful miaows so I have a feeling that might be the only way.

Sigh.   :thanks: for all the good suggestions though!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 23:08:10 PM »
I tried the kittens on the Dairylea that Jumpy wouldn't touch tonight. They loved it!  ;D

Does Blip go for liver pate?  :shy:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 22:42:12 PM »
Pearl recommends Laughing Cow!

Toby has glucosamine & green-lipped mussel capsules - putting the stuff in his food is pointless, so I just ram a capsule down the hatch and he doesn't get a choice...  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 21:48:01 PM »
Hmmn, tough one  :doh:  Dairylea is the original cheesy treat but Primula is in a tube so much cleaner as you just squirt a blob instead of dissecting a triangle  :evillaugh:  Primula also comes with the added delight of either Ham or Shrimp too - can't decide, all I can say is the boys have only ever tried Dairylea (and Dairylea light) and they both got the paws up  ;D  Tiggy loved both equally although I think she was pleased to find little hammy or prawny chunks in it from time to time.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 21:44:13 PM »
The smelliest fishy thing is pilchards in tomato sauce  ;D

Yep.  And guess what?  Blip wont go near it  :tired:

Don't blame him,its disgusting :evillaugh:

You tried salmon paste?  Mine go mad for salmon paste
Love me,love my animals.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 21:32:07 PM »
Bertie loves Primula and it has a picture of a mouse on the tube.  Enough said  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 20:36:12 PM »
hmmmmmmmm

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 20:35:50 PM »

Yep.  And guess what?  Blip wont go near it  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 20:31:18 PM »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 20:10:22 PM »
Lexy loves Dairylea  :innocent:  and highly recommends Blip have some dropped on her fur because lapping it up is fun!  :doh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Urgent advice required: Dairylea or Primula?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 20:08:14 PM »
After discussion with the vet, a very slight stiffness in Blips right hip (which several chums on here and I discussed last December) has led us to try Cosequin.  Blip is very difficult to medicate so I have capsules to sprinkle on her food.  You can guess the rest.  :tired:

I want to try the processed cheese trick but cannot remember what folks use?  Dairylea or Primula?  And which is the smelliest, fishiest flavour?

This may be doomed to failure, but I am determined to try  :thanks:

Link to CatChat