Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

Applaws Natural Cat Food & CRF

<< < (2/4) > >>

Susanne (urbantigers):
I don't know about the natures menu, Helen.  The phosphorus content is not on the packaging and when I emailed them to ask my email came back as undelievered :( 

Tiggy's Mum:
Susanne

I don't suppose you happen to know the phosphorous content of Natures Menu, I'm sure that's what you feed your boys isn't it?  I have started giving Tiggy Natures Menu in addition to her Gourmet Pearl as despite the Gourmet Pearl being branded a premium gourmet food and one of the most expensive available the meat content is a disgrace!  The nutritional info on the back of the pouch doesn't list phosphorous, I'm using a binder with it to be on the safe side but would be interested to find out what it is.

Susanne (urbantigers):
Rebecca - the percentages are calculated on a dry matter basis for easy comparisons between foods.  As they all contain different amounts of moisture it would be difficult to make comparisons between foods if it was calculated on the food "as fed" since the more water you add the smaller the percentage of a particular nutrient will appear to be, it being essentially diluted.  Dry matter analysis is a useful way of comparing the nutrient content of any foods, including comparisons between wet and dry (it's a useful way of comparing the protein content of wet and dry foods for example - at first sight the protein in wet food appears lower than that in dry, but when you calculate it on a dry matter basis it's usually higher).  All the calculations on the site which Desley posted a link to are done on a dry matter basis - that's where they recommend a phosphorus level of less than 1% for CRF kitties, that 1% being calculated as a dry matter analysis.  Bit of an explanation here. 

http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm

edit - the link explains it much better than I have! 

Gillian Harvey:
Thanks Susanne - maths was never my strong point, despite the fact that my Dad was a statistician - didnt inherit his genes then! He DID despair of me when trying to help me with my maths homework!

Rebecaa, I just got my head around how Susanne worked that out - don't confuse the issue, he he!! Mind you now you've got me thinking again!

Beccles:
It's a bit early in the morning on Becca Time but my snot-filled brain is having some difficulty with the bit where you divide by 22.7... the first bit makes perfect sense so I'm happy there... and I've almost got my head round the second bit but not quiiiiiiite!

Does it make sense to calculate it on a dry matter basis considering that people generally feed their cat 100g of wet food whether it's 22% dry matter or 5%?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version