Author Topic: Feed your friendly neighborhood hedgehog  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Feed your friendly neighborhood hedgehog
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 16:28:25 PM »
either I don't have any hedgehogs in my neighbourhood or they are fussy eaters. I even found a slug inside last night there are so many!!

Even though we have them, there are walways slugs in our garden I saw a site that said they don't really eat many slugs as they are poor nutrition. They eat a mix of bugs + whatever else they can get their hands on. I first noticed them when we had eaten chinese and I tied the bag up and put it in the garden one night. The hedgies must have been starving as they split the bag to get to the chow mein  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 16:24:58 PM »
I have been feeding them in my garden for about 18 months. I always give them leftover wet food & some cat biscuits - usually anything my cats won't eat so the hedgies actually eat better than the cats as they end up with RC, JWB etc. At the moment, they are having PAH own brand premium light. One thing I would question about the article is the fat content of their diet. It says to give then cheapo food as its higher fat but the hedgie sites always say light catfood is better for them as regular is too high fat and they can gain too much weight. I would start giving them higher fat food from october to help build up their fat store for the winter.

Always make sure they have a shallow bowl over water out as well, especially if feeding them dry food.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 16:25:37 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 15:28:15 PM »
either I don't have any hedgehogs in my neighbourhood or they are fussy eaters. I even found a slug inside last night there are so many!!

Offline Cleo

• Kitten
Feed your friendly neighborhood hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 15:26:15 PM »
This is not cat related, as you may have guessed from the title...doh!

But it's still important, poor hedgehogs out there starving!    Besides, who among us doesn't have a tin of cat fod in the cupboard?!

Read on the link for more info!

Thanks!

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/news_article.asp?article_id=872
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 15:27:31 PM by Cleo »

Link to CatChat