Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 143537 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2015, 17:48:19 PM »
Awww  :Luv:

I am on poo watch at the moment too with Mosi.  He's on pro-kolin+ and today I have sausages in the tray  ;) ;D

Too much offal can upset tummies esp kittens

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2015, 17:46:56 PM »
Aw Nic - how lovely that Beau takes care of his beating heart friend's grooming needs.    :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #476 on: November 16, 2015, 16:05:10 PM »
they are growing up quickly!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2015, 16:04:43 PM »
Aww what sweeties they are.  I'm getting kitten broody!   :Crazy:

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2015, 15:03:14 PM »
Thought I'd get off the subject of runny poo  :sick: and post a photo of my babies, it's been at least two whole days since I posted any  :evillaugh:  :shy:

The cuddly cat in their bed is totally adored by Chester. It has a heartbeat and is meant to soothe baby animals and remind them of their mum. My mum got it for them and he sleeps cuddled up to it all the time. Beau treats it like another cat and gives it's ears a good wash occasionally  ;D

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. I agree. I need to get them on a settled diet

I suspect because we've tried a few different wet foods, they've become fussy. They're now turning their nose up at the food they've been on.

However, we've been leaving dry out for them and I think part of it is because they're filling up on that.

So we're taking the dry away when we're not around in the hope that this will help them stick to the wet food we're using as I want them to have a good balance of wet/dry

Poo status Update:  :rofl:

Beau was back to perfect poo status this morning.

Chester was better than he has been but still softer than it should be

And I can't believe I'm talking about poo so much  :rofl:

I need to get out more  :Crazy:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #472 on: November 15, 2015, 19:38:31 PM »
Yes, plenty of time to make bigger changes when they're a bit older. For now, stick to a brand you know they're OK with, just change flavours, that'll get them ready for bigger changes later.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #471 on: November 15, 2015, 18:54:16 PM »
As Holly cat said, don't change over the food so quickly, it will give them diarrhoea if you do.  Add a little to the food they are used to eating over a week.  Don't change it over any quicker then that as their bodies wont take it and they get tummy troubles.  On top of that there is an infection which makes him more prone.  Sending lots of healing thoughts.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #470 on: November 15, 2015, 17:03:09 PM »

I suspect that high meat is too rich dont think that grain free would be a problem

You are also right the more times you change the food the harder it will be to tell if its the food.

• Hero Cat
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2015, 15:04:07 PM »
You've summed up how I've been thinking perfectly Gill. I'm also wondering if grain free just doesn't agree with Chester.
With changing their food, I now don't know if it's that contributing to the runny bum!
There's so much conflicting info & I'm trying so hard to only feed them what's "quality" but I know so many people who've had healthy older cats on Felix or whiskas forever!
It's a bloomin minefield!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2015, 14:47:01 PM »
Personally I would top chaning their food and keep it as it was because just because something is nutritionally good doesnt mean it will not disagree with them.

Thats why i and others feed Felix!

Personally I would go back to what you were feeding before vets except on what you needbto get meds into them

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2015, 13:56:44 PM »

It may be the change of food. It should be done slowly. Add a bit of the new food to their old food and increase the amount of new to old daily until it is all completely new.
JWB is good food, Astro and Zoon were fed it in the rescue and I still feed it and other dry food as well.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
Unfortunately, Chesters had diarrhoea again since last night & Beaus had a touch of it this morning. It's coming out like toothpaste & is really pale with both of them. Cheaters had a tiny amount of blood in it - my vet said not to panic at that as it could just be that his bum is irritated.

I'm at my wits end now!

I changed their dry food to JWB on vets advice but now I'm concerned that it may be disagreeing with Beau...

However, the only way I could get the panacur granules into them is with the applaws sardine tins for kittens. They refuse it in everything else - could that be causing it?

Also, Chester loathes the probiotic paste so I'm having to give him it sandwiched between wafer thin ham...could it be that?

Don't know whether to continue doing what I'm doing or change their food.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2015, 21:44:29 PM »
Wow, a vet that knows about nutrition, that makes a change. They usually just push the food they sell.

I feed mine purizon which I get from zooplus. They used to have the applaws dry but they prefer the purizon and it's a high meat content food and a bit cheaper than applaws.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #464 on: November 14, 2015, 21:29:13 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Mine wont touch JWB and eat proplan fish..............wont touch the chicken one!

Yes I have fussy pants eaters!

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #463 on: November 14, 2015, 21:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the web address, will have a look over the next couple of days.

I'll keep the JWB in mind too. Like you, I just really believe that what you put in is what you get out for long term health. Saying that I'll probably eat my words when I get a fussy pants cat who will eat nothing but Asda high cereal pouches! Lol!

Have a nice weekend!

Katie
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #462 on: November 14, 2015, 21:21:14 PM »
Beau wails when you are near the treats  :rofl: :rofl:

I havent given my 3 treats for ages and started again last week and now they all come and sit near my feet and look with their pleading eyes  :innocent:

Dont they learn quick.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #461 on: November 14, 2015, 19:39:56 PM »
Great news Nicola, sounds like things are on their way up! Did the vet suggest a better dry food?

I was thinking of changing Indie onto wet twice a day and a dry to graze on in between. As you know I'm ordering the wet Bozita online but have decided to get something decent quality dry from PAH in case we run out and can use that to tide us over. IVe been obsessively looking at dry ingredients and am looking at Applaws dry with Burns and James Well Belloved as runners up. What dry are you using?
This cat feeding lark is a bit complicated!! :rofl:

Have a good Saturday night.

Oh and if your OH has got the name of that app, that would been great.
My vet advised either Hills or James Wellbeloved dry food. He said he's done a lot of research into feline nutrition & recommends them.
Yup, it's a nightmare once you start researching food, you should've seen me with litter research!!

Thankfully they love the wellbeloved one we got today. They are fussy little mites. They're on the healthiest food, but Beau is bonkers for whiskas milk treats since my mum gave him some.
He knows where the pack is now & stands on his back legs wailing at me when I'm in their vicinity ;D

Chester is definitely better today so I have everything crossed he's on the mend. Poo watch continues....

OH uses a website www.keepvid.com to download videos from Facebook & other embedded sites all the time. He says there are a few apps too but he's never used them. Hope that helps x

• Senior Cat
« Reply #460 on: November 14, 2015, 19:12:05 PM »
Great news Nicola, sounds like things are on their way up! Did the vet suggest a better dry food?

I was thinking of changing Indie onto wet twice a day and a dry to graze on in between. As you know I'm ordering the wet Bozita online but have decided to get something decent quality dry from PAH in case we run out and can use that to tide us over. IVe been obsessively looking at dry ingredients and am looking at Applaws dry with Burns and James Well Belloved as runners up. What dry are you using?
This cat feeding lark is a bit complicated!! :rofl:

Have a good Saturday night.

Oh and if your OH has got the name of that app, that would been great.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #459 on: November 14, 2015, 17:22:01 PM »
It was raining heavily in Glasgow over last few days.  Gone much colder weather now.  Nice to see a young kitty on the window frame. They get up to all sorts of tricks.   :hug:
I work in Glasgow & the weather's been horrible hasn't it? And it's suddenly really cold today!
The pair of them are always up to something, keeping us on our toes ;D

• Hero Cat
« Reply #458 on: November 14, 2015, 17:19:04 PM »
Love it! I can see I'm going to get nothing done!

I looked at that DVD , it sounds good.  ;D

Have you any idea how to get videos on Facebook on here?
Sorry Katie, just realised I hadn't responded to this.

I've no idea how to get a video from FB, but my OH says there's free software that lets you download videos from it which you can then use as your own & post on YouTube. That would let you put it up here.

He mentioned the name of one but it's gone out of my head, I'll ask him when he's home later

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #457 on: November 14, 2015, 16:28:06 PM »
It was raining heavily in Glasgow over last few days.  Gone much colder weather now.  Nice to see a young kitty on the window frame. They get up to all sorts of tricks.   :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #456 on: November 14, 2015, 14:59:41 PM »
Aw poor Chester sounds like he is responding to the treatment :hug:

Hope he gets back to full throttle very soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #455 on: November 14, 2015, 13:11:58 PM »
Last night just seemed to vanish, so a quick update from my phone for now.

My vet doesn't think it's worms but they're both getting a new dose of wormer just in case.

Chester had a slight temperature so he thinks it may be an infection. So he's on a probiotic as well as panacur & he got an antibiotic injection.

Told the vet everything I've been feeding him & he's told me to change their dry food, so I've done that too. Apparently the dried food they're on gets the hard sell from pets at home as a high quality food because they produce it, but he said that it's not great nutritionally.

They've both gained weight, which is great news!!

Even better, the vet said to give it a week before seeing a change, but Chester boy did a big solid poo this morning! Never thought I'd be so excited about cat poo! ;D

Seeing a change in his behaviour too, he's been crying lots when he's sleepy and wanting to be alone in his bed. But today he's back to sleeping on me. I'm currently wearing him like a scarf ^-^

It was quite emotional seeing our vet. I haven't seen him since Bailey died. And as Bailey took ill late at night, my own vet didn't see him. He sent me a really nice letter when he saw on their records that Bailey had been put to sleep.

He was lovely last night, so pleased to see us & said he was so glad I had new cats as the world needs more pet owners like me. How nice is that?

The staff in the vets were all over the monsters, they know me really well from all my visits with Jake & Bailey. One of the vet assistants got all choked up. But she absolutely adored Bailey. She always held him when he had bloodctaken.

So, fingers crossed my wee Chester-Pester is on the mend!

If not, the vet will take swabs & get them analysed. But I'm hopeful that we're on the right track with him

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Senior Cat
« Reply #454 on: November 14, 2015, 03:22:46 AM »
Any results from the vet tonight?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #453 on: November 13, 2015, 23:55:33 PM »
Great pics and video Nicola  ;D ;D ;D

They are certainly better than TV  :innocent:

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #452 on: November 13, 2015, 20:33:13 PM »
Awww Nicola...they are growing big.

Sorry about your flu, Chester's tummy bug and that Abigail has been battering the daylights out of Scotland.

The photo of Chester hanging from the window blinds is brilliant...I love it.

Hope the vet can help out with Chester's tummy though and glad that Beau is seeming to be fine as well.

Mweekie xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #451 on: November 13, 2015, 18:30:10 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Gorgeous!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #450 on: November 13, 2015, 18:11:03 PM »

Boxes are best  ;D ;D Lovely vid

• Senior Cat
« Reply #449 on: November 13, 2015, 16:06:17 PM »
Love it! I can see I'm going to get nothing done!

I looked at that DVD , it sounds good.  ;D

Have you any idea how to get videos on Facebook on here?

• Hero Cat
« Reply #448 on: November 13, 2015, 15:33:22 PM »
And a wee video. They have a house full of toys, but the current favourite is a cardboard box and a gift bag left over from my birthday.

They're just so much fun to watch  :Luv:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SufSxL4y9cI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SufSxL4y9cI</a>

• Hero Cat
« Reply #447 on: November 13, 2015, 15:29:02 PM »
I saw a video of that on facebook this morning Katie, scary! You'll have it a lot worse than us being up that way. I'm down in Lanarkshire in Motherwell

Thought I'd post another couple of pics. I showed the boys the cat dvd I got on Purrs the other night. Thought they would ignore it, but they loved it.

Chester liked the hamsters, Beau went nuts for the birds. After I put it off Chester sat on the TV unit wailing  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #446 on: November 13, 2015, 14:58:10 PM »
I'm up on the Moray coast about half an hour from Inverness. We were the same as you but not so bad with flooding. Bad at first then a lull then back with avengence!  :scared:

A plane coming into Inverness airport had to come in sideways last night, I'm not kidding, I've got it on video!

Good luck with Chester at the vet, I'll be waiting to hear.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #445 on: November 13, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »
Nice of the vet to phone, a lot wouldn't bother.

Agree

Where is this storm? Havent had TV on yet, you must be up north somewhere?

I'm in the west of Scotland Gill, it was absolutely wild last night. At one point I thought I was going to have to abandon the car and get the wellies on to get home  :shocked:
Yes, the effects of Hurricane Abigail are being felt here too Nicola. Apparently coming from the west, high winds and driving rain. You can hardly stand up in our garden! All the schools, ferries and businesses on the west have all closed in preparation.  :scared:

Sorry to hear you have kitty tummy troubles too. Is it worth taking a sample with you, or have you already done that?

What a worry our fur babies are!  :scared: :scared: :scared:

Whereabouts are you Katie? It actually wasn't too bad later on last night, the worst of it seemed to hit here during rush hour and then it calmed a bit. It's horrible again now mind you.

I spoke to the vets about bringing a sample but they've said they wan't to see him first. TBH, I'd rather just get the sample tested right away to get some answers but I'll speak to the vet tonight about it. Chester is definitely a worry, there seems to be no pattern to it and it comes and goes, last night wasn't as bad, but still not right.

It's lovely seeing the photos of Indie, she's a beautiful girl, I'm so excited for you getting her home - 7 more sleeps is it?  :wow:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #444 on: November 12, 2015, 20:25:41 PM »
Yes, the effects of Hurricane Abigail are being felt here too Nicola. Apparently coming from the west, high winds and driving rain. You can hardly stand up in our garden! All the schools, ferries and businesses on the west have all closed in preparation.  :scared:

Sorry to hear you have kitty tummy troubles too. Is it worth taking a sample with you, or have you already done that?

What a worry our fur babies are!  :scared: :scared: :scared:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #443 on: November 12, 2015, 19:21:40 PM »

Agree

Where is this storm? Havent had TV on yet, you must be up north somewhere?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #442 on: November 12, 2015, 18:56:24 PM »

• Hero Cat
« Reply #441 on: November 12, 2015, 18:51:14 PM »
Thanks folks! I'm feeling ok now.

Thanks Dave, he's getting lots of water, definitely drinking regularly, but I gave him the spring water from a can of tuna to make extra sure.

Unfortunately I missed my vets appointment due to this bloomin storm we're having. My usual 40 minute commute took 2 & a half hours! Aaargh!!

Vet called me 20 mins before my appointment to say most of the routes into them were closed by flooding too.

So, we're rebooked for tomorrow. Such a pain, I'm desperate to get him checked over. But we shall continue poop watch tonight & hopefully it's better than last night to ease my mind somewhat

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #440 on: November 12, 2015, 18:33:37 PM »
It's definitely worth getting the vet to look at Chester, but it's probably nothing, given that he's still his usual boisterous self. In fact, the problem might even be that simple, over-excitement. Kittens are often sensitive to the slightest changes. The main thing, before the vet sees him, is to make sure he's got access to water all the time. Whatever turns out to be wrong, dehydration is the most risky thing.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #439 on: November 12, 2015, 18:18:43 PM »
I hope your both better soon.  Hugs!

Link to CatChat