Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 143585 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2015, 15:30:38 PM »
hope you feel better soon, probably not bad idea to get the vet to see him

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2015, 15:24:04 PM »
I'll have a look at the different foods everyones mentioned. thank you for all the ideas.

I've not been on in days as I've been floored by a tummy bug  :sick:

Im taking chester to the vets tonight as the diarrhoea is back again. I'm concerned it may be worms so I'm taking them both to my own vet tonight to have them checked over and get them wormed. They haven't been done since before I got them 5 weeks ago.

He's still acting no differently and full of energy but I'm really worried about him having such a dodgy tummy when he's so small. Just want it sorted now

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2015, 18:28:31 PM »
Zooplus is great for variety.  I buy quite a few brands from there - Catz finefoods, Grau, Ferringa, Animonda Carny, Bozita tins, Smilla and Miamor in particular.  Also check out Happy Kitty Company - they sell 4 brands - Om Nom Nom, Mac's, Granatapet (zooplus have started selling that now) and Ropocat.  My boys like all 4 and you get a free toy mouse in with every order  ;D

For the small amount of dry they get I've started buying Aatu from PAH - it's high protein and grain free but they also do single protein which I like (I buy the duck - my Mosi has an eosinophilic granuloma which may, or may not, be allergy related so I'm trying to avoid most commonly used proteins like beef and fish)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »
OMG Chester  :rofl: :rofl:

Must let Lupin see this  :shify: :shify:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
bozita is very rich you need to introduce it slowly - that said most of mine hated it!

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #433 on: November 08, 2015, 19:52:01 PM »
Thanks so much Katie, I'll definitely have a look at it. I'm determined to give them the best food possible.

They're eating the stuff I have, but they won't eat one particular food for more than 2 days!

I'm so excited for you, can't wait till indie is home with you :D

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #432 on: November 08, 2015, 14:19:01 PM »
Yes, some sound a bit bizarre at first, like 'Elk' for example but it's all meat protein I suppose.

There were loads of positive stories on the Zooplus site which impressed me.

Will give it a try and let you know how I get own. She mightn't even eat it!
If she likes it, once I realistically see how much Indie will eat regularly, I'll do a price comparison against Felix.

Contents wise there's no contest though!
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #431 on: November 08, 2015, 14:00:45 PM »
Thanks for mentioning Bozita cat food. I feed raw, but do occasionally have to feed a bit of commercial. I looked up Bozita and like the sound of the wet food. I wouldn't pick the ones with carrots etc, or the dry as that has flour in it. But some look really good.
Julie.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #430 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

[/quote]

Unfortunately they’re  fussy and won’t eat the same food for more than a few days at a time.

I’ve been going between James Wellbeloved, Purely and Natures menu kitten food. They’re all wheat and dairy free and hypo allergenic.

I suspect it’s the Natures menu as it’s 70% meat and a lot of that is chicken liver, he’d eaten lots of it the day he had the dodgy tum and has been fine since I took him  off it
[/quote]

Have a look at Bozita cat food. Sweden apparently has strict laws about what goes into their animal food. i.e. No offal, animal derivatives etc. read the reviews re the food on Zooplus. Pretty convincing. I've worked it out compared to Felix and it's not hugely expensive for raw meat food with no fillers or veg. I will be testing the kitten one out on little Indie.
Mind you that's if your little monkeys will like it!  :rofl:

BTW I love the photo of Chester! Really made me laugh................and wonder what I'm in for!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #429 on: November 08, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  You cant be too houseproud when you have kittens around  ;)

Offline bickhamwitch

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Frodo Hebe Luka Thierry Grace Solly.
« Reply #428 on: November 08, 2015, 00:19:57 AM »
Love that birthday card. And the photos of the kitties.
Julie.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #427 on: November 07, 2015, 16:24:47 PM »

What is he up to?  :rofl: :rofl:

Practicing his ninja skills by the looks  ;D ;D

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #426 on: November 07, 2015, 16:06:52 PM »
Spider cat! Spider cat!  Has anyone seen where da spider cat is at!  He probably thinks his a pirate climbing the ropes to the main sail.

Oh these two are going to keep you on your feet.

I'm glad to hear the tummy has been sorted out.  I do know some animals will have a dodgy tum just due to the relocation into the new forever home.  It might also be changing the food too quickly, as some say to do that over a week slowly adding the new food and reducing the other.  I'd find the one they most like and stick with it if you can.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #425 on: November 07, 2015, 15:51:25 PM »
Chesters latest game ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #424 on: November 06, 2015, 20:51:32 PM »
Lupin says wink wink nudge nudge  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #423 on: November 06, 2015, 18:16:30 PM »
They are both gawjus! I'm so glad that Chester's tum has settled.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #422 on: November 06, 2015, 11:35:26 AM »
OMG he has been comunicating with Lupin  :rofl:

Maybe they’re in cahoots and that’s where he’s getting his ideas from  :rofl:

Great to see Chester better Nicola and obviously up to mischief!   :naughty:

What food was he on?

Unfortunately they’re  fussy and won’t eat the same food for more than a few days at a time.

I’ve been going between James Wellbeloved, Purely and Natures menu kitten food. They’re all wheat and dairy free and hypo allergenic.

I suspect it’s the Natures menu as it’s 70% meat and a lot of that is chicken liver, he’d eaten lots of it the day he had the dodgy tum and has been fine since I took him  off it

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #421 on: November 06, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »
OMG he has been comunicating with Lupin  :rofl:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #420 on: November 05, 2015, 19:21:48 PM »
Great to see Chester better Nicola and obviously up to mischief!   :naughty:

What food was he on?

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2015, 15:51:57 PM »

Aww. he just wanted to clear a path to his kitty friend  :rofl: :rofl:

Glad his tum has settled  ;D

• Hero Cat
« Reply #418 on: November 05, 2015, 15:09:45 PM »
It's a relief to have him back to his naughty self.
This is his latest game....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmJdAI96qys" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KmJdAI96qys</a>

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #417 on: November 05, 2015, 13:30:00 PM »
So pleased  ;D ;D

Great card and love the picture with them on your legs  ;D

• Hero Cat
« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2015, 13:27:28 PM »
Thankfully, Chester seems to have made a full recovery from his dodgy tum. He was great last night and back to solid poo’s so no need for a vet trip.  :wow:

I suspect it’s been one of the foods I’ve been feeding him. It’s very high meat content and has liver in it and it does appear quite oily and rich so I’m going to keep an eye on him now we’ve stopped giving him it.

Had a lovely night with them last night, they were very snuggly, as soon as I sat down they clambered onto my lap for a snooze. Best feeling ever.  :Luv2:

Also sharing a wee pic of my Birthday card from OH, I love it. It’s official – I’m a crazy cat lady  :rofl:

We are on poo watch at the moment as well. Buffy who usually does perfect poos has had a couple of times over last few weeks of loose stools. It has gone on for a few days and then back to normal so really have no idea what is causing it. She's fine in herself but can't help but worry. Because they always use the tray I know too much about their bowel movements, much more than all my other cats who went outside.
I know what you mean, my three cats all used outside, so I would never have known if there was a problem. I'm sure she's OK, but it's impossible not to worry isn't it?

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #415 on: November 04, 2015, 13:52:03 PM »
We are on poo watch at the moment as well. Buffy who usually does perfect poos has had a couple of times over last few weeks of loose stools. It has gone on for a few days and then back to normal so really have no idea what is causing it. She's fine in herself but can't help but worry. Because they always use the tray I know too much about their bowel movements, much more than all my other cats who went outside.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #414 on: November 04, 2015, 12:31:26 PM »
You're bound to worry Nic - it's natural.  But, they're both playing and eating and otherwise behaving well.   If Chester was lethargic, not eating or drinking, showing no interest in play, then it would be much more immediate in terms of panic.  You're just being  a good cat Mum. 
:thanks: you are very good at always saying the right thing & making me feel better Sue :blow kiss:

So he is just on basic cat food, Sheba, Felix and Gourmet.
Thanks Gill. Funny you saying that, I was wondering whether I should just pick up some felix or Whiskas kitten food and try that to see if it helps.

Poo watch was a success  :rofl: Andy closely observed a poo which was the right colour but "toothpaste" textured. No straining or anything. So hopefully thats a good sign as its not as bad as it was last night. OH however, is feeling rather queasy. he is not good with poo  :rofl:

Taking him to vets tomorrow morning anyway, but fingers crossed it's just a sensitive tummy.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #413 on: November 04, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
Yes the food could be too rich but just so hard to tell.

When I first got Lupin he was 10 months, not neutered and had never seen a vet.

All this was put right immediately but then his tummy got ill and it took about 3 months of special food and powder................forgotten name..............before his tummy calmed down and he was able to eat tesco chicken in jelly!

He cant tollerate real fish at all and refuses now to eat real chicken.

So he is just on basic cat food, Sheba, Felix and Gourmet.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #412 on: November 04, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »
You're bound to worry Nic - it's natural.  But, they're both playing and eating and otherwise behaving well.   If Chester was lethargic, not eating or drinking, showing no interest in play, then it would be much more immediate in terms of panic.  You're just being  a good cat Mum. 

• Hero Cat
« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
OH is with them this morning until 11.30 and is now on Poo Watch. if there's any more diarrhea, we'll take him to my own vet tomorrow morning. I'm just wondering if it's his food, I've got them on really good qualtiy grain free, high meat content kitten food. is it maybe too rich for Chesters tummy?

I just wish i didn't have to be at work  >:(

Chester is bright as a button and eating great but I'm worrying myself sick. I think after three years of coping with my two boys illnesses before they both went to the bridge, and after losing Bailey so suddenly, I instantly go into full on panic mode   :-[

I was an emotional wreck leaving for work this morning, meanwhile Chester was clambering up my tights for attention and taking flying leaps through the TV unit.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #410 on: November 04, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
Just thinking of Alison's Archie.  We often have no idea what's causing tummy upsets but a vet check is probably best in the circumstances.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2015, 00:08:27 AM »
I think a vet check too as he is so young still, to make sure no dehydration and get any advice soonest...............before the weekend!

cats love to be ill at the weekend cos they know it causes real concern.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2015, 21:44:54 PM »
Callie & Monty had dodgy tummies when they were little. I has to stop dry food and even though they were kittens the vet advised to move them to adult food as the kitten food was too rich for them. I changed them to normal whiskas but lots of people do like applause. I'd change slowly but it may be worth a vet check to stop him getting worse suddenly. Maybe a food sensitivity?
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2015, 21:15:24 PM »
 :hug:  My failsafe in such times is tuna in spring water!! Give them that for a couple of meals and see if that helps
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 21:15:45 PM by mad_lilli »
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Hero Cat
« Reply #406 on: November 03, 2015, 20:43:15 PM »
I'm concerned he's had it for a while. Last week I caught sight of him doing his business & it looked runny, but Beau then got himself stuck in something & by the time I cleaned it, it seemed OK.

Only now realised the ruddy catsan dries it up instantly. It was really runny tonight. And now I feel awful :'(

To be honest Sue, I rarely see him drink any water, Beau drinks all the time, but then he eats lots of the dry food, Chester doesn't.

They were wormed before I got them, so about 4 weeks ago?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2015, 20:19:13 PM »
Is he drinking o k  Nic?  Dehydration is always a concern, but maybe he has a bug.  When was he wormed last?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2015, 20:18:19 PM »
No need to panic just yet then, but if it doesn't start to clear up in the next day or two, or if Beau gets the runs too, a visit to the vet is in order, or at least a phone call for advice.
There are several causes, but sometimes nothing you can see, as kittens have very delicate tummies.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2015, 20:05:50 PM »
Is he OK otherwise?
Yes, full of energy & eating normally

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2015, 20:04:48 PM »
Is he OK otherwise?

• Hero Cat
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2015, 19:47:33 PM »
Sorry, further to my last post, wee souls just gone again & it's diahrrea. He was really straining too.

How worried should I be?

• Hero Cat
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2015, 19:45:03 PM »
Thanks everyone. Sorry I've not been around, I'm insanely busy at work, so not even getting a break at lunch. OH is backshift this week so it's just me & the monsters at night so I don't get a second!!

I do have another question though...2 actually ;D

Chesters poops are very soft all the time & I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about - which basically means I'm worrying anyway! TBH, I'm not sure what consistency they should be but they're like toothpaste texture?? He's eating & playing normally.

Also, he's been obsessed with the carbon filter in his litter box since day one, but this evening I came home to find it quite chewed up in the middle of the kitchen. If he's ingested any of it, could it do him any harm?

That boy is no good for my nerves! He's currently charging around like a Looney while I fret about him :-[

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2015, 23:42:57 PM »
That's what brought me to Purrs! Monty was suckling Callie all the time. He tummy was always soaking and she just let him do it! What stopped him doing it was that when Callie was spayed we had to put her in a crate so he couldn't suckle at her for about a week or so and after that she didn't let him or he didn't try again but she stopped it from then on. She was 5 months when she was spayed and he was neutered at the same time.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Link to CatChat