Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 143593 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2015, 21:14:09 PM »
Awww, some gorgeous photos!  :Luv2:

Neither of mine suckle but Cleo does like to do her 'happy dance' whilst simultaneously tenderising me. That is most often when I am still in bed in the morning, she will walk around in circles, stamping, for at least 10 minutes. She likes to make sure she has done my legs, tummy and chest thoroughly  ;D

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2015, 21:13:05 PM »
 I heard it was when they were taken away from their Mum too early. I had one cat that did it all his life never caused any problems. When my two were young they used to pull the buttons on my cardigans I think they wanted to suckle.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2015, 13:39:12 PM »
Crystal likes to slobber over, suckle and knead her jellycat toy. Perfectly normal in this house!!!
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2015, 13:28:21 PM »
Thank you!!

I knew I could rely on my Purrs friends for some helpful reassurance. How precious that Misa still does it  :Luv:

I've also read a couple of things when I googled saying it should be stopped and that whatever they suckle on should be removed. That just seems cruel!  :censored:

No problems with him suckling on fluffy fabric then? I did read that if they do this a lot it can cause intestinal problems, but he's sucking on it, not eating it so I assume it's fine.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #394 on: November 02, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
Some behaviorist should take up a different profession.    ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #393 on: November 02, 2015, 12:24:48 PM »
Misa is 14 and has suckled since he first came here at 4. Originally it was on the shoulder of my dressing gown when in bed but now its the duvet. He treads and suckles just like a kitten  :Luv2:

I know of a behavorist who said this should be stopped....................how dare she!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #392 on: November 02, 2015, 12:03:58 PM »
Nic, they're both gorgeous - what's not to love?   :Luv2:

Some cats like to suckle, some don't.  Some Like to suckle on fabric or on their hoomans - Ross used to suckle my right ear lobe to get himself off to sleep.   :shy:  Its normally a self comforting thing and nothing to worry about.   :hug:  Tinks loved to treadle away on his ratty old cushions.    Its so sweet to see in our companions.    :)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #391 on: November 02, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
Had a lovely weekend with my boys, I just adore the two of them  :Luv:

Chester has become such a lap cat and wants to be on top of me constantly.
He also sleeps in the weirdest positions, look at his wee legs!

I wanted to ask about suckling, as its something I’ve never experienced before  :-:

When I first brought him home, he would climb into his bed when he got sleepy and do the kneading with his paws and suck on the bed for a few minutes before falling asleep.

But it seems to be getting more intense. He can sometimes be in there frantically kneading and suckling for a good 10 minutes and now he keeps stopping, looking up at me and crying while he’s doing it. This goes on for ages and then he climbs onto my lap and goes to sleep.

I’ve tried picking him up when he cries but he goes straight back to the bed and does his suckling thing. The bed is soaked after he’s done it.

Is this a normal kitten thing? None of my other boys ever did it, so I just want to make sure it doesn’t mean he’s distressed or anything

• Hero Cat
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2015, 19:37:07 PM »
Yes that is quite normal  ;D

Love those bat ears trying to keep him upright  :wow: :wow:
Thanks Gill. Although I posted too soon. The monsters have arisen and are currently going bonkers!

Beaus ears are huge, it's like he needs to grow into them :D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2015, 18:43:16 PM »
Yes that is quite normal  ;D

Love those bat ears trying to keep him upright  :wow: :wow:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2015, 18:39:50 PM »
Great video Nicola, so, so sweet.

I bet you get nothing done, you won't need the TV anymore!

Love to hear your news of your boys.

Hopefully Ill be there soon  :scared:
I hope so, it'll be celebrations on purrs when you get Indie home ^-^

Well, I thought the vaccination hadn't affected the boys at all, but it seems it's just taken longer than I expected.

They fell asleep at lunchtime today & have only got up briefly a couple of times since! The vet said the might be sleepy, but I didn't think that would happen the next day.

They've not eaten much when they have got up either.

I take it this is normal? Anyone else had them do this 24 hrs after the jag?

I'ts so strange them being so quiet, I'm used to them thundering around wreaking havoc ;D

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2015, 15:34:48 PM »
Great video Nicola, so, so sweet.

I bet you get nothing done, you won't need the TV anymore!

Love to hear your news of your boys.

Hopefully Ill be there soon  :scared:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2015, 14:48:47 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love the vid :Luv:

• Hero Cat
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2015, 14:44:45 PM »
So glad it's the weekend as its brilliant having the whole day with my boys.

They're such a joy. I've been up since 6.30am & they were like whirlwinds from the moment they opened their eyes!!

After 3 hours of constant play, Chester climbed into his tree & slept. But Beau fought the tiredness until I sat him on his favourite cushion & he fell asleep sitting up! I couldn't resist videoing it.

They're so sweet. Chester is becoming such a mummys boy. He loved getting a good brush earlier & then cuddled up beside me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1mRfxBkPu8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E1mRfxBkPu8</a>

https://youtu.be/E1mRfxBkPu8

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2015, 13:29:54 PM »

Ah, just catching up to see how things went.  Very pleased all is well.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2015, 22:23:21 PM »
Glad the jabs went well...even with the extra "gas" on the journey lol :evillaugh:

Winnie (so far) has been really good at the vets and on the journey. She's a vocal cat normally, but she does have sweaty paws when she gets nervous...last time she left little paw pad prints all over the table lol. She's the first "sweaty paws" cat we've had, but I have heard of that before whilst doing some late night reading of cat books (I have over 20 books in my room purely on cat and caring for them lol).

But anyway, I am really glad that Chester and Beau were good for you and enjoy the sleepy snuggle kittens.

Mweekie xx

Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2015, 21:41:09 PM »

Lovely pic of gorgeous sleepy mogs  ;D ;D ;D

Glad all went well

• Senior Cat
« Reply #381 on: October 30, 2015, 21:31:18 PM »
Aw, look at those gorgeous sleepy boys. Adventure over.

Glad it all went well Nicola. Enjoy the peace , I'm sure it won't last for long!

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #380 on: October 30, 2015, 21:18:49 PM »
Glad all went well with the jabs, enjoy the sleepy while it lasts  :evillaugh:

When Fred was poorly with a blocked bladder, he was kept at the vets for a week. On release day the vet was saying how good he had been, what a delight he was, how he had charmed  the nurses into hand feeding him and playing classical music.  She had a gentle last feel of his bladder and he emptied his anal glands all over her  :evillaugh:  :shy:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2015, 20:58:59 PM »
He not only holds his poo to do it on the vets reception floor . . .

I took Christopher to the vet once and she asked me how his poos were.  At which point he hopped off the table and produced some for her to look at :sick:.   To her credit, she turned round, looked and said "That's fine" without missing a beat :rofl:.  He has also, separately, weed all over a vet nurse :-[.

Anyone know how long they'll be sleepy?

Until you're ready to go to bed :evillaugh:.

• Hero Cat
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2015, 20:43:19 PM »
Sleepy brave wee soldiers ^-^

• Hero Cat
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2015, 20:42:34 PM »
I'm glad the two were reasonable well behaved.  My dog has it down pat, remember he grew up with cats.  He not only holds his poo to do it on the vets reception floor, but regularly pees on the vets feet, one year one poor women was wearing sandles.   :rofl:
I know I shouldn't laugh....But that's hilarious!!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #376 on: October 30, 2015, 20:40:52 PM »
I'm glad the two were reasonable well behaved.  My dog has it down pat, remember he grew up with cats.  He not only holds his poo to do it on the vets reception floor, but regularly pees on the vets feet, one year one poor women was wearing sandles.   :rofl:
Oh God, I shouldn't laugh...But I did! I had a dog growing up who cocked his leg & peed on the electric heater in the vets & shorted it :-[

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #375 on: October 30, 2015, 20:32:54 PM »

• Hero Cat
« Reply #374 on: October 30, 2015, 20:28:59 PM »
...or one cat farting all the way there and all the way back - in a taxi!
I've just sat down with a glass of wine & I managed to almost snort it down my nose laughing at this Dave!!!

Chester is a lethal fart machine. He did it on route tonight & stank the car out. But at least it wasn't in a taxi! Then he darted in the vets face as she was examining him :-[

They were good as gold. Chester is so bold he just wanted to explore the room. Beau was wide eyed & silent.

Beau conked out as soon as we got him back in the car. Chester wailed for 5 minutes then conked out too.

They came in & ate a big dinner and are now cuddled up together in their tree sound asleep. Never seen them sleep so soundly! So I assume that's the vaccine.

Anyone know how long they'll be sleepy?

They only got the cat flu jag tonight, when I told the vet they were going to be indoor cats with a cat proofed garden she said they don't need the leukaemia one.

She also said Chester will need neutered in about 8 weeks as "he's sprouted a pair of peti pois" ;D ;D ;D

On the way home in the car Andy said "if he got to keep his petit pois...how big would they get? Like brussel sprouts?" :D What is he like!?!

Also asked vet about scented candles, she said they're perfectly safe in moderation. Like people, some cats are allergic but that would be obvious as they'd be sneezing and have runny eyes.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #373 on: October 30, 2015, 19:54:24 PM »
...or one cat farting all the way there and all the way back - in a taxi!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #372 on: October 30, 2015, 19:10:55 PM »
Hope it went well  :hug: :hug:

20 mins is nothing lol, try an hour with one cat panting and quaking in fear and another singing all the way  :innocent:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2015, 15:49:37 PM »
Hi Nicola

Wishing you good luck for your vaccination adventure tonight. Your boys will be just fine  ;D

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #370 on: October 30, 2015, 15:18:39 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Julz (Winnie's Meowmy)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Winnie
« Reply #369 on: October 30, 2015, 14:28:04 PM »
Sending cuddles for them both for the vaccines.

At least what would normally be a boring car journey will be made more interesting with the tiger cubs in tow lol.

Best of luck though and still loving this thread

Mweekie xx
Mweekie xx

Slave to Winnie (Cat), Minx (Russian Dwarf Hamster), Inca and Aztec (Corn Snakes), Truffle and Chaos II (Tarantulas), Leo (Leopard Gecko), Birch and Oak (Giant African Land Snails).

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #368 on: October 30, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
aww good luck

• Hero Cat
« Reply #367 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
My babies have their vaccinations tonight .

I'm dreading it, hopefully it won't affect them too much.
 :crossed:

It's not at my own vets as the rescue I got them from have arranged it at the vets they use.

Unfortunately it's a 20 minute drive away. Hmmnn...based on their tasmanian devil type behaviour when I first brought them home in the carrier... and the fact that they are now so much more confident, this journey will be quite the adventure.  :rofl:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #366 on: October 29, 2015, 15:07:29 PM »
was sure I mentioned yankee plug ins but can't see it, I only have it on for about 1/2 hour per day

You did Dawn. I've been a pest and posted in health & behaviour too and you replied on there  :shy:

kittens do tend to be more distinctive in the smell they leave. I haven't tried these but they look worth a go? http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/flat_cats_whatare.htm

I have posted on tother thread. I was just about to suggest these too. They are very robust, and I thought I was going to need custom made ones, but when I contacted the guy he said he would just send me some slightly larger ones!  :wow:

Especially great in the summer when ours wre too young to go out. OH usually has the bedroom window open.

Thanks! I'll have a look

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #365 on: October 29, 2015, 13:10:21 PM »
kittens do tend to be more distinctive in the smell they leave. I haven't tried these but they look worth a go? http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/flat_cats_whatare.htm

I have posted on tother thread. I was just about to suggest these too. They are very robust, and I thought I was going to need custom made ones, but when I contacted the guy he said he would just send me some slightly larger ones!  :wow:

Especially great in the summer when ours wre too young to go out. OH usually has the bedroom window open.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #364 on: October 29, 2015, 13:00:13 PM »
was sure I mentioned yankee plug ins but can't see it, I only have it on for about 1/2 hour per day

• Hero Cat
« Reply #363 on: October 29, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
I've tried the lit match technique but it doesn't seem to last long enough. It's really overpowering, like catch the back of the throat strong.

I think it'll probably get better as they get older. Part of the issue, for now, is that they're confined to one (big) room when we're out and there's no ventilation.

They've been little angels as far as using their tray is concerned so there's been no accidents.

So do kittens have a stronger smell than adult cats? It's been 15 years since I had kittens so I don't remember what it was like with my other 3.

I'll keep searching. I just don't want to risk using anything that could have any chance of being bad for my monsters. If need be, we'll just have to keep airing out rooms while they're in the other room.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #362 on: October 29, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
Light a match in the smelly places, the sulphur gets rid of the smell.  I've used in numerous times as a family carer, and dog owner.

Make sure your using proper pet deoderizing spray on potty accident places as that gets rid of the odour and the urge to mark it again. 

Other then that it may just be kitten smell, just like you get with pups and babies, it's just part of them as they grow up.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #361 on: October 29, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »
Based only on the quick search I've done, I'd avoid scented candles. I'm not certain they're harmful, but every search result I've looked at claims they are.
You could still use them in a room where the cats have been, but only after they've been shut out of that room.
If the cats are still in the room, a plain candle might be just as effective in getting rid of bad smells, they just won't leave a perfume behind.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #360 on: October 29, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Hero Cat
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Chester has me a nervous wreck . That kitten has no brakes. He keeps just charging head first into walls  :shocked:

He melted my heart last night. I've been brushing them since I got them and they tolerate it for a bit before wriggling away. But last night Chester decided being brushed was the best thing in the world. I've never heard purring like it, he was arching his back and rubbing off my legs the whole time. Every time I stopped he meowed for more. Just so lovely  :Luv:

I have a question maybe some of you can help with? The house is seriously smelly  :sick: I think them being confined to the kitchen when we're out with all the windows closed is making it particularly bad. We've been cleaning constantly but I've also been lighting my yankee candles to get rid of the smell. it seems to be the only thing that works

Are scented candles OK to use with kittens in the house? I don't mean the fire risk as they're where they cant get to them, more the scents in the air.

I always used scented candles around my three cats, but just wondered if the smoke or oils from them could harm the monsters...  :-:

Link to CatChat