Author Topic: PASSIVE SMOKING  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: PASSIVE SMOKING
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 18:19:17 PM »
We wouldn't dream of smoking in the house and harmoing the cats tiny lungs. Even when I did, I smoked out of the window as I hate the smell in the house - it's disgusting  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 18:12:55 PM »
This is so sad :( My OH's mother smokes (she lives with us) and there is nothing that'll convince her to quit. It is disgusting, and I know what it must be doing to our cats  :( The sooner I have a deposit on a house the better I think

Offline emma_vn

• Adult Cat
    • Ruffdogs
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 17:13:33 PM »
I HATE it when cats come into work stinking of cigarette smoke - it's just not fair on them and they are so much smaller than us it really is harmful. We definitely see higher numbers of asthmatics and bronchitis cases from smoking households. I used to be a smoker (quit Jan 2006!) and I would never smoke in the house around my pets - I used to go to the back door.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 16:46:25 PM »
Thank you for the information.  We have a very good friend, whom we have been trying to convince to quit smoking for quite some time.  She managed earlier this year for a few months but sadly she slipped back and now she is almost chain smoking anew. :( She lives with her beloved Birman in a small flat, so if all else fails, this article may help her get going again!!  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 16:17:57 PM »
I think this article refers to the same study.

Possibly, I can't remember where I got my info from now.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 14:54:11 PM »
Indeed.  I think a lot of people forget about the possible effects of cigarette smoke on their pets' health.

I think this article refers to the same study.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2165722.stm

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
PASSIVE SMOKING
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 14:16:30 PM »
Since I had my site about 2 yrs ago I have a topic about passive smoking:- Passive smoking and its devastating effects have been highlighted in recent years in humans, but also spare a thought for our pets that are exposed to cigarette smoke too.
Research has shown that dogs and cats suffer from the effects of tobacco smoke.
Lymphoma is the most common cancer in cats. Only feline leukaemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus were known to play a role in causing the disease.

"The reason Lymphoma was looked at was because that it is so common, and the ability to treat it is just not very good," Dr. Moore said. "Twenty-five percent of cats that have it, live no more than a year with chemotherapy."

The researchers tested a number of possible cancer risks, including diet, spay and neuter status, age, sex, breed, grooming, home characteristics, and the use of flea control products, shampoos, and oral medications. Only one factor, smoking, was associated with the cancer, in a significant manner
Cats that spend a lot of time indoors in a smoking household not only inhale cigarette smoke but also ingest it as toxic chemicals from the smoke accumulate in the fur and are more likely to develop malignant lymphoma which can kill within a year.
Dogs are more likely to develop serious conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, nasal and sinus cancer as well as lung cancer if they are living with smokers

Now Cats Protection are passing on the message as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 14:18:18 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat