Author Topic: is mo getting old?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: is mo getting old?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:01:22 AM »
Good luck with the vet visit, thyroid stands out to me too, so would push for that (some vets dont see it as an issue in younger cats). Good luck, and hope it is something easily sorted.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 18:26:51 PM »
I'd definitely get him to the vets and get a senior blood panel done.  10 is still fairly young really (I have a 10 yr old who still bounces around liike a kitten) but their organs do start deteriorating at about 8 years old.  Fingers crossed it's nothing serious or at least something easily treatable.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 17:10:31 PM »
oh dear. i shall definately get him to the vets then. He is neutered, has been since he was one year old, but even so he has always been fighting. Ever since he was little.its not a new thing. thats just the way he is. Though in the past hes never got hurt. thats why im worried now as hes coming home with scratches on him, as if hes coming worse off in fights.  like he cant defend himself anymore. thanks for your help. ill get him booked in.   oh another thing i forgot to mention, his meow has changed! its gone a bit low and croaky, whereas it used to be loud and normal. i dont know if this could be a sign of anything. thanks again.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »
I too would pop him along to the Vet.
Any unexplained weight loss should be checked out, i would also opted for a FIV/FeLV test as you say he fights alot

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »
when Bluto had kidney problems he lost weight and lost his agility not sure if that is normal though

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »
I'd be heading for full blood tests AND hyperthyroidism blood test.  A lot of weight loss and a cat who had just started getting himself into fights + 10 years old , hyper T would be pretty high on my list of possible causes.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 08:30:44 AM »
Do you think he is just getting old?

I agree with other posters a vet check is necessary. 9/10 is certainly not old for a cat and not even middle aged in some cases.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:54:10 AM »
At that age he is still a young cat and I would definately get a vet check soon. If he has lost a lot of weight over the last year this sounds like maybe he has a thyroid problem and definately needs testing.

Is he neutered? Has he always fought or is he being attacked by a new cat in the neighbourhood?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 21:52:37 PM »
Even at 9 or 10 years old he should still be fit enough to jump up etc. Though it sounds like he needs a health check with your vet. It could be something underlying, or it could be he is being bullied by another cat in the neighbourhood. 

I would have him checked out. It really could be any number of things and apart from giving you peace of mind knowing what's up with him, will also get him treatment for something now.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
is mo getting old?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 21:49:43 PM »
hi there.
my 9/10 year old boy is worrying me a bit lately. He just doesnt seam himself. he was a BIG boy, but he has lost weight over the past year. he isnt skinny, normal size now, but compared to what he was he has become a lot smaller. hes a very outdoorsy cat, but recently hes been coming home with a lot of scratches and cuts. i know he fights, ive heard him, but hes never come home hurt before. He is eating, though not as much as i remember he used to.  The other week, i was watching him in the garden and he tried to jump the fence, which normaly he has no probs with, and he didnt make it and fell down off it. he doesnt seam as able as he used to. he can still jump the fence but it looks like he has to put loads of effort into it.
Do you think he is just getting old? at his age is it normal to start becoming less able at doing things? And im wondering if this is why hes now coming home with scratches and cuts, as hes coming worse off in fights now hes getting older. before anyone asks, he is neutered,wormed and vaccinated etc. Any thoughts would be great. im just feelin a bit sad for him at the moment. thanks.

Link to CatChat