Author Topic: sub cut fluids - did I do something dangerous?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: sub cut fluids - did I do something dangerous?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
thanks all and thanks Philip. The vet's nurse thought it was quite funny. But today I did the sub cuts and he got a little hump and I'm sure I did it the same way.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 00:47:19 AM »
I wouldnt worry.

That happened to me also. I think its probably where there has been some weight loss.

I wasnt always able to feel a lump afterwards. Epsecially with Maddy. Sometimes the fluid disperses more evenly not leaving much of a lump.

There is more space between the skin layers and the tissue beneath as there is less muscle mass.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
the vet's nurse said she doubted it would matter and sometimes when it's hot, with only 50mls you'd not see much of a hump anyhow. This morning I asked OH not to massage him so much and there was only a little hump. I suppose if we did the 100mls in one go it would be a lot more visible.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:49:09 AM »
Good Luck with your next go....hopefully soon you will have confidence in doing this for him!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 05:57:47 AM »
thanks everyone, thanks Mark  :hug:

Going to have another go in an hour or 2 before OH goes to work.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 00:53:30 AM »
It's unlikely you gave intravenously but even if you did, that is what vets do anyway and it's more effective  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 23:00:13 PM »
Try sending Phillip a message cos he woulkd know  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 22:51:50 PM »
I rang Vets Now, thanks and spoke to the guy who answered the phone. He said to keep an eye on him and watch out for any odd breathing or behaviour like yowling or distress. Since we did him, he's eaten a little, drunk and wee'd and has walked around normally and I've even had a little purr, so I hope it's ok. They also said are his gums pale (yes, but they are anyhow as he is ill). I feel such a fool.

There is one other possibility which is a worry too which is that it is hot in the flat (28 or so) and Max's back didn't get the hump from fluids because he is too hot and dehydrated so they were very quickly absorbed. The vet's cover tomorrow is a french locum. They don't do sub cuts generally in France, but I hope the senior nurse is on duty so I can ask her. If Max is ok in the morning and it happens again when we do his fluids, I'll have to sort something out.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 22:26:31 PM »
I've no idea I'm afraid but even if your normal vet is off til Tuesday they will have 24 hour cover so you should be able to ring the vet and check - even if it means ringing Vets Now or whoever covers for them.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 22:22:12 PM »
I have no experience of giving sub cut fluids, but commonsense would suggest to me that if it was that easy to do something dangerous the vet would have warned you of the danger, and probably would have prevented you from giving these injections at all
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
sub cut fluids - did I do something dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 22:13:39 PM »
sorry for new thread but I am so worried. Tonight we did Max's 50mls sub cuts with a syringe and butterfly needle. The needle went in ok into the tent area but the fluids flowed faster or easier than before when we did it. Although the area was being massaged while I fired the syringes, there is usually a little hump. Tonight there was no hump. Nor did any fluid come out the other side. We are so scared that in fact we injected Max with the fluids, not just under his skin but into him. Is this dangerous? I know it is hot today but there should have been a small squishy hump afterwards. Please can anyone help. I emailed the vet but he is off until tuesday.
I've googled but can't find any mention of this anywhere. We are so worried that in trying to help him, we have hurt him.

Link to CatChat