Author Topic: Cystitis study - hardly any difference between cats medicated or given placebo  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Misa is suffering from stress induced cystitus at present. We went to the vets yesterday and today he is no better as far as I can tell but am starting to think that when he is happy and relaxed, ie lying on the desk next to me while I am on the puta he is just fine but when he was out in the garden earlier with me he was just moving from place to place to try to urinate.

Outside its very wet and we just had a heavy shower and dont know if being around places that he can use as a litter tray, this induces his thoughts on the subject. He also has been litter tray hopping in the house this morning and used one of them.

He wet his blanket on the way to the vets yeasterday, only a bit but could see it was pink but his bladderr was completely empty at the vets.

Misa is so relaxed at present but I am very stressed and have been for over a month, so also dont know how much I am affecting him too.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
I've not read the full report but I am inclined to agree with Millys Mum.

Whenever we've stopped Jess's cystease within 48 hours his cystitis was back, the cystease eases the pain of weeing by helping the bladder lining.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I wonder if there is more info on the full report? - also a lot depends on male/female ratio of groups?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Idiopathic cystitis is triggered by so many things, cystaid cant stop that but i do think it helps soothe the problem once its started. The supplement helps the bladder lining not the mental issue in the cats head!

I wouldnt trust the owners for giving data as 2 were pts from recurring blockages  :shocked:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I would love to read it at some point but between now and 27th may, all I can read is revision books  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
Interesting....let me see if can get a hold of the full paper.....

...got it...if anyone wants a copy pm with email address.  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20043133742

They think most of the cats improved due to increased wet food rather than the N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine having an effect.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:41:53 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat