Author Topic: Diet Change Help  (Read 1394 times)

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Diet Change Help
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 20:02:45 PM »
For dry food, I feed Orijen, hi life, James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin Pure Feline Beauty.  It's only Mosi who has dry and he still gets wet 3 times a day (I sprinkle the dry on top and he doesn't seem to have any digestive problems with this).

For wet food I feed animonda, hi life, tesco finest and tesco luxury, the tesco stuff in the foil tray (forget what it's called!  the stuff with about 50% meat and with rice in it too - they do lamb and chicken), PAH Purely, applaws, almo nature and a few others from zooplus when I put in an order there.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 17:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the heads up 

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 14:39:29 PM »
The best thing about Hills is if you get some from your vet to start with (a few cans say) they will take it back for refund if your cat hates it. I'm not sure but I think Royal Canin may do likewise. Then if it's suitable you can order more from vet uk. With all the science plan, prescription diet foods, they are all going up at least 9% in January so I'd try them now to see what goes down (and stays down!) well.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 22:25:46 PM »
I won't give Iams for those reasons  :shify: :evillaugh: but then again, whiskers isn't that much better  :evillaugh:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 22:16:28 PM »
I dunno, I've not been looking as I don't need any at the moment... :-[

I currently have 14 kg of dried food in my utility room and only two cats. :shocked:

IIRC I've seen IAMS 25% off at Tescos, but some peeps won't feed it for ethical reasons. I don't feed it either, but that's because my two refuse to eat it. :evillaugh:

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 22:07:05 PM »
Any offers on at the moment?  :evillaugh:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 21:23:24 PM »
No probs. :)

I should have added in my previous post that I feed mid-range and premium dry food to my two as opposed to the cheap stuff - I did try but it was a short-lived and messy expurriment. :sick: I then used to feed Perfect Fit until they stopped importing that into the UK at the beginning of this year but Purina One is pretty similar.

I also buy the premium dry (Royal Canin) at shows where the deals can be quite advantageous. As with most cat-food related things, it's good to eye-up the offers and then bulk buy when there's a good deal on as it works out cheaper over a length of time. ;)

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 21:15:19 PM »
Thanks Reynard. My boyfriends mother feeds her cat Purina one and she says it's great stuff

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 20:47:36 PM »
Whiskas (wet OR dry) makes my Toby leak from BOTH ends. He has a sensitive tum and cheap dry i.e. Whiskas, Go-Cat, Brekkies etc are a no-no here. I think that's probably down to the additives and low meat / high grain content of the food.

Switching to a mid-range or premium dry food should solve the problem. By mid-range I mean Purina One and Purina Naturals (?) or anything in that price range, and by premium something like Royal Canin, Hills etc.

Another avenue worth pursuing is an exclusion diet to see if the runny bum isn't down to a food intolerance problem. Some cats have problems with things like wheat or beef, so look for foods without those things in and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 19:57:39 PM »
No, she has wet food a few a times a week too

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 19:25:47 PM »
Does she just eat dry?

James wellbeloved and PAH brand are both v.similar to hills but cheaper, royal canin and pro plan are also quality foods, all available in PAH.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
Diet Change Help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 18:41:18 PM »
Holly has started having diahorrea again, since being back on whiskers. So we've decided that we would try a diet change just incase she has a sensitive stomach (Vets recommendation too). I've been looked into hypo-allergenic cat food and foods that are easy on sensitive stomachs but i can't decide.
Any recommendations from you lovely cat people? The only ones i've really looked into are -

Vitalin Complete Balanced Premium Cat Food and Hills Science Plan. Both are much more expensive than Whiskers but i'm putting Hollys health before my money  :)

What food do you all give?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Link to CatChat