Author Topic: gimleys fat  (Read 1399 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: gimleys fat
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 14:11:24 PM »
All my cats are free feeders and one especially Misha is a big girl but we started to worry last year as she looked bigger than normal and started limping - we had her tested for everything and anything but internally all fine and no signs of arthritis, etc so vets put her in the fat club (even though I had said she wasn't a piggy cat - she hates anything bar her biscuits and hates soft food), anyways after many weigh ins and her  weight fluctuating without any rhyme or reason the vet decided she has a somatic cat and some cats weight just does fluctuate madly!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:00:14 AM »
My misa is a big boy 6 k plus but he loses weight just by reducing the biscuits, my cats free feed and are very unhappy if that doesnt happen cos they are nibblers.

I tthink with the bad weather they are not getting as much exercise as usual so that wont help

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 00:00:35 AM »
they get no snacks and dry food has been reduced for the last two weeks. he is addicted to biscuits

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 22:39:18 PM »
What ever you do, do it slowly and start by reducing little snacks and the amount of dry food.

I wouldnt use special food.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 21:55:18 PM »
Free feeding makes many a fat cat so just stopping that should help him out  ;D

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 18:21:49 PM »
poor Gimley - the indignity of being called a fat cat  :-[.

Don't know for sure as mine are quite small cats but the back of the Iams dry food sack says 5kg = 65g of dry food a day; the back of the Iams pouches carton doesn't go up to 5kg but indicates that a 4kg cat = 3 x pouches a day so that might give you some idea of what's needed.

Good luck with the new regime!

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
gimleys fat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 18:12:02 PM »
hi guys sorry i havent been round much of late.
 took gimley and phoenix for their booster today he currently weight a wopping 6kg instead of the 4 kg he should be. i have been advised to split his meals into three and no more free feeding. the nurse is really trying to push hills r/d or m/d but im not so sure. but then they always try to push it. its going to be a hard struggle as he loves his food and hates exercise. the nurse said to feed him what a 5 kilo cat should eat to start him off any ideas what this should be

Link to CatChat