Author Topic: dieting tips  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: dieting tips
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 16:34:45 PM »
I know, poor thing!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 16:29:09 PM »
I've started weighing out the food, I  am a bit shocked it is much less than I was giving, we have da bird and she has been getting personal time with it (with the others locked inside) so she moves around a bit more!

Not as shocked as Star is  :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Star has gone from 4.5 kg to 5.9kg in a year - quickly can I expect her to lose it?  the vet speifically said not to bother with light food but if it helps I'll try anything

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Poor Mitten needs to lose 30percent of her body weight and her allowance is 1 satchet and 26grams Royal Canin obesity,she eats the lot no problem,will report back on any weight loss.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »
I've started weighing out the food, I  am a bit shocked it is much less than I was giving, we have da bird and she has been getting personal time with it (with the others locked inside) so she moves around a bit more!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 17:12:58 PM »
If the others dont eat dry put a measured amount down rather than a bowl, you can also fill some of her ration into a treat ball and make her exercise for it.

When you weigh out how much dry food they actually need to eat to get a days calories it isnt very much  :shocked:

And if you dont already have one get a Da Bird  ;D  :ok: :ok:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:54:10 AM »
I did think that might be the problem Mark, Star is the one that will only eat dry food, I think if I could get her to eat wet that might help but I've tried everything over the last three years to get her to eat wet food but she would rather starve

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »
I really struggle with Kylie - She was on Hill's light for about 3 years but gained weight on it. I have tried Hill's R/D (High Fibre) and Hill's M/D (Metabolism diet) with no luck. I tried RC obesity but she refused to eat completely. I now have her on Orijen, as although its high fat, it has virtually no carbs as it is cereal free - I also try to get her to eat wet as it's less fattening. It's hard to diet one cat in a multicat household. The vet told me to take her food away after 10 minutes but Willow is borderline underweight and grazes so I can't do that. Apparenty, Wet food in Jelly is better than gravy as less carbs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 13:21:31 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
dieting tips
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »
no not for me but Star went for her boosters on Friday and has put on 1.4kg since last year and the vet has said she needs to loose it - she has told me not to bother with diet food and to go to the diet clinic they run but I just thought I'd ask if anyone had ever had success with dieting cats??

Link to CatChat